Twitter: CLE signs DE, Vernon likely cut?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Heck, he might be just as good of a pass rusher if he just completely ignored the run like Quinn did.
Vernon has always been a well balance DE, good against the run, a plus pass rusher. He isn't the same player that got him that huge deal with the Giants, but most definitely a veteran that's worth taking a low level risk on.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would give the defense a chance to be much better than last year, regardless of the downgrade at Corner, IMO.

Certainly for the front seven. I believe that's their early plan, to focus on improving up front in an effort to take some pressure off of the backend of the defense while they reshuffle, retool, and restock there.

And that they are hopeful that the added pressure and confusion generated up front can cover for deficiencies in the secondary. I think you may see a bit more 'feast or famine' extremes from the defense, at least early on. They will be making more splash plays while giving up more as well, until they get the schemes and players they want up and running.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Opens up the game for the DE's and LB's so much!

Most definitely. The DE's may actually get the benefit of having some interior pressure for the first time in forever, and the LB's will be free to do what they do best more often, running to the football rather than locking up with offensive linemen.

John813

Reaction score
Vernon has always been a well balance DE, good against the run, a plus pass rusher. He isn't the same player that got him that huge deal with the Giants, but most definitely a veteran that's worth taking a low level risk on.

I was surprised at how he clicked in NY the first few years of his deal. Having watched him in Miami(Dolphins) for the first 4 years of his career he showed the potential but it sort of faded year 4, and that was with Suh and Wake on the same line. But when he went to the Giants he played up to his deal with his two way play for a bit.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was surprised at how he clicked in NY the first few years of his deal. Having watched him in Miami(Dolphins) for the first 4 years of his career he showed the potential but it sort of faded year 4, and that was with Suh and Wake on the same line. But when he went to the Giants he played up to his deal with his two way play for a bit.

He was able to give Tyron Smith problems several times he faced him, one of the few defensive ends who could.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

If released, he might be the best option due to his cost. Certainly worth a 1yr flyer, show me type contract.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So if Clayborn was available, why didn't we go after him. And if the Browns rather have Clayborn over Vernon, what does this say about him. So why then would we want him here? :muttley: :popcorn: Actually j / k before anyone stops reading.

OK, had to get the logical, or maybe it is illogical crap out of the way. The Mickey-ism stuff. :laugh:

Well, since we need a DE to replace Quinn at this point, for the right price. Why not, I think I rather have him over Clowney, and that is just a personal choice. As we still do not know about Gregory, and still would not count on him alone. Nor am I sold on Armstrong, Jackson or Jelks.

But is he a good fit for this defense, and is he the player he used to be. I really do not know. Maybe a film guru or persons with more knowledge on him, can inform me / us.

If he even comes available.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I know Vernon is well balanced. I am just saying that Quinn excells as a pass rusher because he ignores run duties. If Vernon did, maybe he gets to the QB more. Wouldn't make him a better player though.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
No thanks. We should have went after Shaq Barrett last offseason SMFH...

ItzKelz

Reaction score
What does this even mean? Clowney has missed a total of 4 games in the last 3 years.
You know what it means that is what you broke it down to the last 3 seasons to try to make some type of point. Clowny is not a reliable player which is why NO one is trying to pay him the 20 mil that he was asking for. My guess is that no one will pay him the 17-18 mil he is asking for now.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You know what it means that is what you broke it down to the last 3 seasons to try to make some type of point. Clowny is not a reliable player which is why NO one is trying to pay him the 20 mil that he was asking for. My guess is that no one will pay him the 17-18 mil he is asking for now.
In what way is he not reliable lol. Missing a game or two a year is about as reliable as it gets in the NFL.