Cleveland Browns looking at Kent State quarterback, Edelman, remember this guy

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Cleveland Browns looking at Kent State quarterback
by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter
Wednesday April 22, 2009, 6:43 PM
CLEVELAND -- Where have we heard this before: A quarterback from Kent State who throws and runs, a perfect fit for the new-wave NFL wildcat formation?
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/04/cleveland_browns_looking_at_ke.html

Four years ago it was Josh Cribbs.

Now it's Julian Edelman.

Yes, the Browns are interested. They are rushing to Kent tomorrow to work out the Golden Flash dual-threat quarterback.

Edelman threw for 1,820 yards and ran for 1,370 in 2008.

Browns coach Eric Mangini is obsessed with collecting players who can fill more than one role. He said he plans this season to see if Cribbs can handle about 15 plays a game on defense in specialized defensive back assignments. The Browns also have worked out West Virginia quarterback Pat White, who is seen as the pre-eminent "wildcat" quarterback in this year's draft.

Edelman, 5-10 and 195 pounds, was not invited to the NFL combine. He has attracted a wave of NFL scouts because of his versatility.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Figures that Mangini is interested in versatile performers, he is from the Belichick-Parcells tree.

Won't be long until Pioli looks at Edelman too, if hasn't already. Although Thigpen may be able to run the wildcat.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
BAT;2741150 said:
Figures that Mangini is interested in versatile performers, he is from the Belichick-Parcells tree.

Won't be long until Pioli looks at Edelman too, if hasn't already. Although Thigpen may be able to run the wildcat.

true bat, i was thinking if we cant get james casey for some reason, this guy might be able to run the wildcat too

also they are comparing him to joshua cribbs, the outstanding kickoff and punt returner, if he is that good, again i dont know, but if he is, he is worth a look, thats what your scouts are for;

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2741167 said:
Drafting a player to run the wildcat = extremely stupid IMO.

i disagree big dog, anytime you run something that is successful and it works, you try it, and if it makes other teams spend extra time on defense getting ready to stop it, you did you job, you made them spend extra time or cut time from something else they needed to do;

thats always a plus in my book;