Cliff Notes for Lindy's NFL Preview 2005

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
For you folks who aren't enough of a sucker like me to go out and buy every preview magazine, here's what will hopefully be an interesting time passer for ya: the Cliff Notes version of Lindy's 2005 NFL Preview mag. Most Cowboys and NFC East stuff is summarized as well as all stories and their interesting points.

RATING THE NFL HEAD COACHES

Bill Belichick: 99
bill_belichick_broncos.jpg

....The mere mention of Belichick strikes a spark forcing football insiders to pose the question, "Did you know Bill Parcells has never reached the Super Bowl without Belichick as an assistant?" While that is a true statement, Belichicks's decision to follow much of the blueprint for success gleaned form Parcells, proved this side of settling on Tom Brady as his starting quarterback, his best career choice....In the past three seasons, the Patriots have contested teams that finished .500 or better in 30 of its last 48 regular-season games. In those 30 games, the Pats are 22-8. Combining the playoff victories in '03 and '04, the Pats are 28-8 against teams that finished .500 or better. Therefore, in conclusion, the Pats have played teams .500 or better in 67 percent of their last 54 games - with a winning percentage of 67 percent. Yes, the Pats in every sense of the word have been a dominant force....

Bill Parcells: 99
....For those failing to appreciate his accomplishments, allow these facts to permeate the mind. In the three seasons he coached the Jets (1997-99), the team won 29 games. Before his arrival, the Jets failed to post a winning record in eight straight seasons. In fact, the Jets were, collectively, 48 games under .500 in the eight years prior to Parcells taking the reins. In New England, he led the Patriots to the playoffs twice, conccluding his four-year stint (1993-96) in Foxboro, playing in Super Bowl XXXI. Before his arival, the Pats were a combined 14-50. The building blocks of legendary status formed while strolling the sideline for the New York Giants. During his eight seasons there (1983-1990), he won two Super Bowls, secured five post-season berths, and registered five seasons of 10 or more wins. Before Parcells, the Giants had one winning year in the previous 10 seasons. The lone remaining question is whether Parcells is the best NFL coach of all-time....

Bill Cowher: 98

Andy Reid: 95
....Yes, Reid has led the Eagles to an average of 12 wins per season over the last five seaons. Yes, Reid is deserving of this placement based purely on numbers. However, once the record is placed under the microscope, one can find chinks in the armor. Simply stated, Reid & Co. have taken advantage of a pathetically weak division that has shortened the postseason trip to the conference championship game. Since 2000, other than Philadelphia, just three other teams posted winning records (Dallas in 2003; and the New York Giants in 2000 and 2002) in the NFC East. :eek: The Eagles have garned more than 70 percent of their wins against teams with losing records since 2000......

Mike Martz: 95 :huh:
Tony Dungy: 95
Marty Schottenheimer: 95
Jeff Fisher: 94
Dick Vermeil: 93
Brian Billick: 92
Mike Shanahan: 92
Mike Holmgren: 91
Dennis Green: 91
Herm Edwards: 90
John Fox: 90
Jon Gruden: 90

Joe Gibbs: 90
....With all due respect to one of the game's best-ever coaches, the Commanders looked disorganized, lacked intensity and weren't fundamentally sound last season. In addition, Gibbs made some strange decisions, including poor clock management at times. He's ranked in the middle of the pack based on a sweet resume and belief that last season was an aberration....

Tom Coughlin: 86
Marvin Lewis: 84
Dom Capers: 83
Jim Mora: 82
Mike Sherman: 79
Jack Del Rio: 78
Jim Haslett: 78
Mike Mularkey: 77
Mike Tice: 76
Lovie Smith: 75
Romeo Crennel: 73

Norv Turner: 73
....Frankly, while Turner receives high grades from his peers, he has accomplished, at best, minimal success. He is 16 games under .500 for his career as an NFL head coach, with just three winnign seasons in eight years. He has worked his team into the playoffs just once. Based on recommendations from league insiders, his rating could be bumped, but the numbers simply don't justify the inclination....

Mike Nolan: 70
Nick Saban: 70

3-4 DEFENSES ALL THE RAGE: IT'S A COPY-CAT LEAGUE

3-4_scheme.jpg

* Dallas, San Fran, Cleveland, San Diego and Denver will all be switching to 3-4 this season. Miami will incorporate it for 15-20% of its plays.

* Romeo Crennel: "You have to be good down the middle in the 3-4. Nose tackle inside linebackers, safeties. You can get all the cover corners you want, but if you can't stop the run, it doesn't do any good."

* Bill Cowher: "It's harder to find the great rush defenensive end in the 4-3 and now maybe you're better of trying to create pressure with a combination of blitzes. You have more flexibility."

* Steelers DC Dick LeBeau: Considers Greg Lloyd the quintessential outside linebacker in the 3-4. "He was a tremendous pass rusher but also had the sped and the range to get out underneath passes and could play every down. You could rush him very effectively or let him roam and get to the ball and make tackles. Chad Brown and Levon Kirkland were very successful in 4-3 schemes, but they're real good in the 3-4 because brining them to rush is almost living having another defensive lineman yet they still have the mobility in coverage. Takeo Spikes is a great 3-4 zone-blitz type of athlete. All those guys have that knack of winning once they get into a one-on-one battle with somebody."

* Article mentions that both Dallas and San Diego hope they have found that type of linebacker with Demarcus Ware and Shawn Merriman.

* Bills GM Tom Donahoe: "When I was in Pittsburgh, we always felt that we had an advantage. Some of those undersized defensive ends that didn't fit int he 4-3, they could be good edge players in the 3-4. When you talk about players like a Shawn Merriman, he really becomes interesting because he's a versatile guy. And depending on the defense you play, some people will also see him as a 4-3 end and some people will see him as a 3-4 outside linebacker. But it does put a premium on those types of players."

49ers Coach Mike Nolan: "It's much more cap friendly than trying to find a bunch of defensive ends and tackles that typically cost you a lot more money. It allows you to find people in the draft at a lesser value. You can get a more athletic defense on the field. You end up getting two extra players in your special teams. There are those in-between guys who fall in the draft because they are college defensive ends but are not big enough to be ends in the NFL. They kind of slide into this, 'Are they linebackers or are they down guys?' Those guys in a 3-4 fit in so well because you can put them in either outside backer or inside. We can draft a guy and figure out what he is later rather than worrying about, 'Oh my god, are we going to have to cut him because he's not big enough?'

Houston coach Dom Capers: "To make the transition normally takes a couple of years before they feel comfotable. We put Jason in and left him there. That's the first time I've done it. Guys have been rush guys on third down, but they didn't have to learn the position until a couple of years (later). They have to read and learn so much in this system."

Atlanta coach Jim Mora on taking his 3-4 team from last in the league in defense to 14th under the 4-3: "The scheme fits our players better. The change in schemes helped us and the players embraced what Ed was preaching. And they embraced it on a daily basis. The best compliment you can get is when other coaches tell you how hard your defense plays. It's harder to play in the 3-4. You occupy more space as you move backward. It's easier to move forward. You have to have movement skills and awareness. It's hard to find outside linebackers in the 3-4. They're projections."

(a lot of lessons in this article that make me fear our defense could be in for a rocky start next season...)

CURTIS MARTIN TO TOP OF RUSHING LIST

2004_08_smartin.jpg

* Gave each of his offensive linemen a starter set of Louis Vutton luggage last year.

* LaDainian Tomlinson's role model is Curtis Martin and he looks to Martin for advice, especially so that he can still run like that in his 30's.

* Curtis Martin: "Many of you probably can't even believe this, but I feel as good as I have probably felt in my career. I feel a million times more mentally prepared, just as more of a complete man. I feel as though I have grown into myself spiritually, mentally, emotionally and physically at the same time. Right now, I feel like I'm at my best." (look out Emmitt! :eek: )

* Martin had such devastating ankle injuries in 2002, that there were tears in his eyes as he waited for handoff sometimes. The Jets reduced his play dramatically in the preseason in 2003 because of that to give him more time to recover. It flopped and Martin took 12 weeks to find the endzone for a TD. In 2004, the Jets reversed that philosophy and ran him hard from the get-go resulting in the best season ever for a RB that old.

NFC EAST SUMMARY

5 Questions to be Answered:

#1 Can the Eagles survive without Terrell Owens?

A: When he got hurt, the quesiton was whether they could surive without him. Now it's back to the original question. They seem to make it work either way.

#2 How much better will Drew Bledsoe make the Cowboys?

A: He had better runners, better receivers and a better defense in Buffalo and the Bills were 9-7. Parcells might take his chances with 9-7.

#3 What's the key to Eli Manning's development?

A: Jeremy Shockey. The tight end has become to the Giants what Tony Gonzalez is to Kansas City and Antonio Gates to San Diego. Cowboys tight end Jason Witten and Falcons tight end Alge Crumpler have passed him up as the top NFC threats at the position.

#4 Is Joe Gibbs going to succeed?

A: If he does, they should re-induct him into the Hall of Fame. In the offseason, his first draft choice, safety Sean Taylor, wasn't listening to pleas for commitment and injured star LaVar Arrington was complaining about poor treatment. And that's from the best side of the ball, the defense.

#5 Can Plaxico Burress do for the Giants what Terrell Owens did for the Eagles?

No, but the idea is similar. The Giants need Burress to complement Amani Toomer and Jeremy Shockey and give Eli Manning another big target in the red zone. Likewise, the Redskisn think quick little Santana Moss and steady Dvaid Patten can provide better threats than Laveranues Coles. The Cowboys are also counting on the return of Terry Glenn, who will be united with Drew Bledsoe. But Owens set the bar so high last season that even he probably can't match it.

eagles_nfl.gif
Philadelphia Eagles
Projected Finish: 1st
Key Addition: DT Mike Patterson
Key Loss: LB/ST Ike Reese

giants_nfl.gif
New York Giants
Projected Finish: 2nd
Key Addition: WR Plaxico Burress
Key Loss: QB Kurt Warner

cowboys_nfl.gif
Dallas Cowboys
Projected Finish: 3rd
Key Addition: NT Jason Ferguson
Key Loss: S Darren Woodson

redskins_nfl.gif
Washington Commanders
Projected Finish: 4th
Key Addition: WR Santana Moss
Key Loss: LB Antonio Pierce

OTHER DIVISION LEADER PREDICTIONS:

NFC East:
eagles_nfl.gif
Philadelphia Eagles
NFC North:
lions_nfl.gif
Detroit Lions
NFC South:
falcons_nfl.gif
Atlanta Falcons
NFC West:
rams_nfl.gif
St.Louis Rams
Wildcards:
cardinals_nfl.gif
Arizona Cardinals
vikings_nfl.gif
Minnesota Vikings

NFC Title Game: Atlanta vs. Detroit

AFC East:
patriots_nfl.gif
New England Patriots
AFC North:
steelers_nfl.gif
Pittsburgh Steelers
AFC South:
colts_nfl.gif
Indianapolis Colts
AFC West:
broncos_nfl.gif
Denver Broncos
Wildcards:
chargers_nfl.gif
San Diego Chargers
chiefs_nfl.gif
Kansas City Chiefs

AFC Title Game: New England vs. Indianapolis

Super Bowl XL: Patriots gain three-peat by shutting down Michael Vick's Falcons.

NFC EAST POSITION RATINGS (1 to 10 SCALE)

Coaching Staff

Dallas 9.5 - If Parcells is going to go down, he will go down his way..... the only caveat is that coordinator Mike Zimmer is learning the defense for the first time, so Parcells, who also serves as the team's offensive play-caller, will be in full control.... (Eagles 9.5, Commanders 8.5, Giants 8.0)

Quarterbacks

Dallas 7.0 - The quarterback carousel that has been in place since the retirement of Troy Aikman remains in full effect with Bledsoe taking over in 2005....While Bledsoe will hopefully serve as a stopgap until quarterback of the future Drew Henson is ready, he thinks he can get them to the top this season. The Cowboys are of a similar mindset. Nevermind that Bledsoe hasn't started a playoff game since 1998 and was 23-25 as a starter in Buffalo before being unceremoniously released in the offseason... (Eagles 8.5, Giants 7.0, Commanders 6.0)

Running Backs

Dallas 8.0 - Julius Jones looked to be heir apparent to the running back throne in Dallas, following Duane Thomas, Calvin Hill, Tony Dorsett, and all-time rushing kind Emmitt Smith... (Giants 9.0, Eagles 7.5, Commanders 7.5)

Receivers

Dallas 7.5 - Jason Witten emerged as a star last season.... Dan Campbell will return form injury, and one of the league's best blockers who will do all the dirty work in Dallas... Keyshawn needs a healthy Terry Glenn to complement his chain-moving style... (Eagles 8.0, Giants 7.5, Commanders 6.0)

Offensive Linemen

Dallas 7.0 - Left side will again be the strength of the team... The only position of concern is right tackle and Cowboys counting on Rivera to help whoever starts there... (Eagles 8.0, Commanders 8.0, Giants 6.5)

Defensive Linemen

Dallas 7.5 - Going from 4-3 to 3-4 will mean diminished roles for Greg Ellis and La'Roi Glover who happen to be the two best linemen on the team... Ferguson and Spears ideal fits for the 3-4... Ferguson and Glover alternating at nose tackle will certainly give centers fits because of the strength and quickness change of pace... (Eagles 8.0, Giants 7.5, Commanders 7.5)

Linebackers

Dallas 6.5 - Biggest impact in Dallas from 3-4 change will be felt on linebacking corps... Al Singleton's Dallas career in jeopardy...Parcells hoping Ware will be the first Cowboys to register double digit sacks since 1996... Dat Nguyen undersize for the inside.... Make or break year for Bradie James... (Eagles 7.5, Giants 7.5, Commanders 7.0)

Secondary (Cowboys got no respect in thsi category. :mad: )

Dallas 7.0 - The Henry signing was a move that should have happened a year ago... Improved cornerback play should allow Roy Williams to get back to being a disruptive force near the line of scrimmage... Lynn Scott, Keith Davis and Justin Beriault offer little hope at free safety... (Eagles 9.0, Commanders 8.0, Giants 7.5)

Special Teams

Dallas 6.0 - McBriar showed huge potential... Parcells going to push Cundiff to be tougher and compete for the job... Plenty of options in return game but no proven performer... (Eagles 8.5, Giants 8.0, Commanders 7.0)

Intangibles

Dallas +1 This is indeed Parcells' team now. Not only has he jettisoned most of the players that were here before him, he has continued to add former players from his days with the Patriots and Jets to the roster. He has also changed the defensive scheme from the 4-3 to his favored 3-4. Clearly, after last season's 6-10 campaign, Parcells plans to win or lose - make that enhance or tarnish his certain Hall of Fame legacy - his way.

Eagles -1 The Eagles had several key players who were unhappy with their contract situations in the offseason, including Terrell Owens, Corey Simon and Brian Westbrook. These are distractions that a team on a Super Bowl mission doesn't need.

Giants -1 A slow start could start the head-scratching among the players again and threaten Coughlin's ability to convince them his way does work. The schedule is no help, offfering four West Coast excursions as well as flights to New Orleans and Dallas. The West Coast trips, spread out over the schedule, could wreck the routine coaches like to establish during the season. While this looks to be an improved team, many questions and potential pitfalls remain in its path.

Commanders +1 A base of character developed in the late going last season, thanks to veterans like Griffin, Noble and Washington. With Jansen coming back, he should bring the same toughness and camaraderie to the offense. For the first time in several years, the Commanders don't look that good on paper. But character could allow them to meet their potential for the first time in a long time.

Totals

Eagles 73.5, Giants 67.5, Cowboys 67.0, Commanders 66.5

Continued......​

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
....Continued

SCOPING THE NFL

030205moss3.jpg

* When the Raiders were set to acquire wide receiver Randy Moss early in the offseason, coach Norv Turner confided in quarterback Kerry Collins. But Collins was sworn to secrecy. Related Turner, "It was funny. He (Collins) has a big, big ranch in Carolina... miles big. And he's got a lot of cattle. I called him two days before and said, "Hey, there's a chance this thing could happen but you can't tell anyone. If you feel you have to tell anyone, go out in the middle of that ranch and tell one of those cows you've got." Fortunately, the cow didn't call any Carolina television stations.

* After Giants kicker Jeff Feagles was given a paid vacation to Disneyland for his family and an outdoor kitchen for his Arizona home, for giving up #10 to Eli Manning and #17 to Plaxico Burress, it was suggested he should be making big money in royalties from NFL Properties. Feagles laughed and said, "Two years ago I got a check for $10.23. Imagine that; $10.23. I think it was the jersey my wife bought."

antonio_gates.jpg

* NFL teams are taking a strong look at players that have basketball backgrounds, especially after the success enjoyed by San Diego Chargers tight end Antonio Gates, who was a hoops standout at Kent State. It also means endless challenges for guys like Gates from newcomers that believe they can actually play. Gates laughed when he discussed comments by Chargers rookie wide receiver Vincent Jackson, who played basketball at Northern Colorado. In addition, first-round pick Shawne Merriman apparently talked about going head-to-head with Gates. "I heard about it, but he doesn't want to see me. He knows that," Gates said of Jackson. As for Merriman, Gates added, "The first-rounder, Shawne, he had mentioned on the radio that he wanted to play me in basketball also, but I haven't seen him. It's always fun to hear the new challengers come in. All the old guys know better now."

* Quarterback Trent Dilfer figures he has a new lease on life, now that he is expected to start for the Cleveland Browns after being traded to Seattle. "I love watching film," he said. "I love working out. I love practice, I love the travel. I love what Mondays are like after a win and after a loss. I love the excitement. I love the pressure. There's not a guy in this league who loves this game more than me. But I also realize this thing could be over tomorrow." Browns coach Romeo Crennel said he recalled a scene he saw last year when Dilfer was in Baltimore for a charity banquet. Dilfer has never understood how the Ravens could have let him go after the team won the Super Bowl in 2000. "I was impressed by the ovation he got from the fans," Crennel said. "He was playing in Seattle then, but that said a lot about what they thought about him as a person. I felt like some fo those same qualities would be able to help us here."

* It has been widely assumed that the 2005 season will be the last for Kansas City Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil. Even Vermeil has said that is probably the case. However, Vermeil has begun to back off that thought, and he is more unsure than ever, now that club president Carl Peterson signed a new contract that runs through the 2009 season.

TWENTIES LEGENDS (BENNY FRIEDMAN AND FRITZ POLLARD) JOIN MARINO AND YOUNG IN THE HALL OF FAME 2005

benny_friedman04.jpg

* Giants owner Wellington Mara: "Friedman was the first pro I was conscious of strictly as a passer. The pass in those days was a third-down play. Friedman, who was probably ahead of his time, would throw on first down and was criticized for it."

* Friedman is the last player in league history to lead the NFL in both rushing and passing touchdowns.

* So badly did New York owner/founder Tim Mara desire Friedman for his Giants that he bought the entire Detroit franchise after the '28 season just to get the gifted passer. (Imagine if we could still do that! :D )

* Friedman: "I have been told that I revolutionized the game some when I came in. At the time, everyone was conservative about passing. In fact, the whole offense was conservative. When you were inside your own 30-yard line, you kicked on third down. And you never passed this side of your own 40. The ball was very fat. Not very good for passing but good for dropkicking. Then there was the rule that you had to be five yards behind the line of scrimmage when you threw the ball. This eliminated the jump pass and almost any kind of quick pass. In our day, we knew little about pass patterns. Also, we had a shortage of good receivers."

* Friedman made $22,000 his rookie year and then $10,000 ever year after that for the remainder of his career. At the time, that was considered HUGE money for a pro football player!

* No Friedman interception at Michigan or the NFL was ever returned for a score.

Continued....​

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
....Continued

THE NFL'S BEST AT EACH POSITION

(teams represented by colors - Cowboys, Giants, Commanders, Eagles)

Quarterbacks

img8083706.jpg

#1 Peyton Manning, Colts
#2 Daunte Culpepper, Vikings
#3 Tom Brady, Pats
#4 Donovan McNabb, Eagles
#5 Michael Vick, Falcons
#6 Brett Favre, Packers
#7 Marc Bulger, Rams
#8 Chad Pennington, Jets
#9 Drew Brees, Chargers
#10 Steve McNair, Titans
Next in line: Trent Green, Chiefs
Best backup: Jon Kitna, Bengals
Best tandem: Steve McNair & Billy Volek, Titans
Underrated tandem: Byron Leftwich & David Garrard, Jags
Best trio: Ben Roethlisberger, Tommy Maddox & Charlie Batch, Steelers
Best rookie: Alex Smith, 49ers
Best addition: Kurt Warner, Cards
Best medical returnee: Steve McNair, Titans
Breakout season: Carson Palmer, Bengals
Last chance: Joey Harrington, Lions

Wide Receivers

img7621594.jpg

#1 Torry Holt, Rams
#2 Terrell Owens, Eagles
#3 Randy Moss, Raiders
#4 Marvin Harrison, Colts
#5 Hines Ward, Steelers
#6 Chad Johnson, Bengals
#7 Derrick Mason, Ravens
#8 Andre Johnson, Texans
#9 Javon Walker, Packers
#10 Drew Bennett, Titans
Next in line: Nate Burleson, Vikings
Best No. 3: Brandon Stokely, Colts
Best No. 4: Doug Gabriel, Raiders
Best Tandem: Torry Holt & Isaac Bruce, Rams
Underrated tandem: Marty Booker & Chris Chambers, Dolphins
Best trio: Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne & Brandon Stokely, Colts
Best foursome: Randy Moss, Jerry Porter, Ronald Curry & Doug Gabriel, Raiders
Best rookie: Mark Clayton, Ravens
Best addition: Randy Moss, Raiders
Underrated addition: Cedrick Wilson, Steelers
Best medical returnee: Steve Smith, Panthers
Breakout season: Kevin Curtis, Rams
Under scrutiny: Troy Williamson, Vikings
Tandem under scrutiny: Matt Jones & Reggie Williams, Jags
Last Chance: Koren Robinson, Seahawks (too late! :D )

Tight Ends

img6302148.jpg

#1 Tony Gonzalez, Chiefs
#2 Antonio Gates, Chargers
#3 Todd Heap, Ravens
#4 Alge Crumpler, Falcons
#5 Randy McMichael, Dolphins
#6 Jason Witten, Cowboys
#7 Marcus Pollard, Lions
#8 Jeb Putzier, Broncos
#9 Dallas Clark, Colts
#10 Jeremy Shockey, Giants
Next in line: Bubba Franks, Packers
Best backup: Ben Watson, Pats
Best tandem: Jim Kleinsasser & Jermaine Wiggins, Vikings
Underrated tandem: Chris Cooley & Robert Royal, Commanders
Best trio: Daniel Graham, Christian Fauria & Ben Watson, Pats
Underrated trio: Reggie Kelly, Matt Schobel & Tony Stewart, Bengals
Best AFC Blocker: Reggie Kelly, Bengals
Best NFC Blocker: Dan Campbell
Best rookie: Heath Miller, Steelers
Best addition: Marcus Pollard, Lions
Best medical returnee: Jim Kleinsasser, Vikings
Breakout season: Doug Jolley, Jets
Under scrutiny: Jeremy Shockey, Giants
Last chance: Brandon Manumaleuna, Rams

Running Backs

holmes_120102_180.jpg

#1 Priest Holmes, Chiefs
#2 LaDainian Tomlinson, Chargers
#3 Jamal Lewis, Ravens
#4 Corey Dillon, Pats
#5 Clinton Portis, Commanders
#6 Curtis Martin, Jets
#7 Shaun Alexander, Seahawks
#8 Ahman Green, Packers
#9 Deuce McAllister, Saints
#10 Edgerrin James, Colts
Next in Line: Tiki Barber, Giants
Best Backup: Marshall Faulk, Rams
Best Tandem: Curtis Martin & Derrick Blaylock, Jets
Underrated Tandem: Corey Dillon & Kevin Faulk, Pats
Best Trio: Cadillac Williams, Michael Pittman & Charlie Garner, Buccs
Underrated Trio: Brian Westbrook, Correll Buckhalter & Ryan Moats, Eagles
Best Receiver: Priest Holmes, Chiefs
Best Receiving Duo: Marshall Faulk & Steven Jackson, Rams
Best Rookie: Cadillac Williams, Buccs
Best Addition: Reuben Droughns, Browns
Best Medical Returnee: DeShaun Foster, Panthers
Breakout Season: Tatum Bell, Broncos
Under Scrutiny: Ronnie Brown, Dolphins
Biggest Enigma: Travis Henry, Bills
Last Chance: William Green, Browns

Fullbacks

Neal_Lorenzo.jpg

#1 Lorenzo Neal, Chargers
#2 Tony Richardson, Chiefs
#3 Moran Norris, Texans
#4 Fred Beasley, 49ers
#5 Jerald Sowell, Jets
#6 Alan Ricard, Ravens
#7 Daimon Shelton, Bills
#8 Dan Kreider, Steelers
#9 Troy Fleming, Titans
#10 Brad Hoover, Panthers
Next in Line: Cory Schlesinger, Lions
Best Backup: Nick Luchey, Packers
Best Tandem: William Henderosn & Nick Luchey, Packers
Underrated Tandem: Jerald Sowell & B.J. Askew, Jets
Best Receiver: Justin Griffith, Falcons
Best Rookie: Madison Hedgecock, Rams
Best Addition: Robert Holcombe, Chiefs
Best Medical Returnee: Jon Ritchie, Eagles
Breakout Season: Mike Karney, Saints
Under Scrutiny: Mike Alstott, Buccs

Tackles:

Pacestl.jpg

#1 Orlando Pace, Rams
#2 Jonathan Ogden, Ravens
#3 Walter Jones, Seahawks
#4 Willie Roaf, Chiefs
#5 Willie Anderson, Bengals
#6 Chad Clifton, Packers
#7 Tarik Glenn, Colts
#8 Flozell Adams, Cowboys
#9 Robert Gallery, Raiders
#10 Mike Williams, Bills
Next in Line: Jordan Gross, Panthers
The Next Munoz: Robert Gallery, Raiders
Best Backup: Anthony Clement, Broncos
Best Tandem: Willie Anderson & Levi Jones, Bengals
Best Trio: Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher & Kevin Barry, Packers
Best Left Tackle: Orlando Pace, Rams
Best Right Tackle: Willie Anderson, Bengals
Best Rookie: Alex Barron, Rams
Best Addition: Jonas Jennings, 49ers
Best Medical Returnee: Mike Pearson, Colts
Breakout Season, AFC: Max Starks, Steelers
Breakout Season, NFC: Kenyatta Walker, Buccs
Most Versatile: Leonard Davis, Cards

Guards

ShieldKC.jpg

#1 Will Shields, Chiefs
#2 Randy Thomas, Commanders
#3 Larry Allen, Cowboys
#4 Alan Faneca, Steelers
#5 Steve Hutchinson, Seahawks
#6 Eric Steinbach, Bengals
#7 Adam Timmerman, Rams
#8 Marco Rivera, Cowboys
#9 Brian Waters, Chiefs
#10 Mike Wahle, Panthers
Next in Line: Edwin Mulitalo, Ravens
Best Tandem: Larry Allen & Marco Rivera, Cowboys
Best Trio: Will Shields, Brian Waters, & John Welbourn, Chiefs
Best Left Guard: Larry Allen, Cowboys
Best Right Guard: Will Shields, Chiefs
Best Rookie: Logan Mankins, Patriots
Best Addition: Marco Rivera, Cowboys
Best Medical Returnee: Kendall Simmons, Steelers
Breakout Season, AFC: Jeno James, Dolphins
Breakout Season, NFC: Chris Snee, Giants
Most Versatile: Damien Woody, Lions

Centers

OlinKreutz_010200.jpg

#1 Olin Kreutz, Bears
#2 Kevin Mawae, Jets
#3 Matt Birk, Vikings
#4 Jeff Hartings, Steelers
#5 LeCharles Bentley, Saints
#6 Andy McCollum, Rams
#7 Tom Nalen, Broncos
#8 Jeff Saturday, Colts
#9 Jeremy Newberry, 49ers
#10 Dan Koppen, Patriots
Next in Line: Casey Wiegmann, Chiefs
Best Backup: Chris Bober, Chiefs
Best Tandem: Casey Wiegmann & Chris Bober, Chiefs
Best Rookie: Chris Spencer, Seahawks
Best Addition: Casey Rabach, Commanders
Best Medical Returnee: Mike Flanagan, Packers
Breakout Season: Al Johnson, Cowboys
Most Underrated: Andy McCollum, Rams
Under Scrutiny, AFC: Mike Flynn, Ravens
Under Scrutiny, NFC: Robbie Tobeck, Seahawks
Most Versatile: Jake Grove, Raiders

Defensive Ends

img5804371.jpg

#1 Julius Peppers, Panthers
#2 Dwight Freeney, Colts
#3 Leonard Little, Rams
#4 Michael Strahan, Giants
#5 Richard Seymour, Patriots
#6 Jason Taylor, Dolphins
#7 John Abraham, Jets
#8 Patrick Kerney, Falcons
#9 Jevon Kearse, Eagles
#10 Darren Howard, Saints
Next in Line, LDE: Charles Grant, Saints
Next in Line, RDE: Mike Rucker, Panthers
Best Backup: Will Smith, Saints
Best Tandem, AFC: John Abraham & Shaun Ellis, Jets
Best Tandem, NFC: Julius Peppers & Mike Rucker, Panthers
Underrated Tandem: James Hall & Cory Redding, Lions
Most Underated: Aaron Schobel, Bills
Best Trio: Charles Grant, Will Smith & Darren Howard, Saints
Best Rookie: Marcus Spears, Dallas
Best Addition: Reggie Hayward, Jaguars
Best Medical Returnee: Grant Wistrom, Seahawks
Breakout Season, AFC: Ty Warren, Patriots
Breakout Season, NFC: Osi Umenyiora, Giants
Under Scrutiny AFC: Courtney Brown, Broncos
Under Scrutiny NFC: Adewale Ogunleye, Bears
Last Chance: Trevor Pryce, Broncos

Defensive Tackles

040128_vmed_jenkins_630p.vmedium.jpg

#1 Kris Jenkins, Panthers
#2 Marcus Stroud, Jaguars
#3 Shaun Rogers, Lions
#4 Kevin Williams, Vikings
#5 Casey Hampton, Steelers
#6 Cornelius Griffin, Commanders
#7 John Henderson, Jaguars
#8 Corey Simon, Eagles
#9 Rod Coleman, Falcons
#10 Jamal Williams, Chargers
Next in Line: Warren Sapp, Raiders
Best Backup: Hollis Thomas, Eagles
Best Nose Tackle: Casey Hampton, Steelers
Best Nose Tackle Backup: Jarvis Green, Patriots
Best Tandem: John Henderson & Marcus Stroud, Jaguars
Best Trio: John Henderson, Marcus Stroud & Tony Williams, Jaguars
Underrated Trio: Albert Haynesworth, Randy Starks & Rien Long, Titans
Best Rookie: Shaun Cody, Lions
Best Addition: Pat Williams, Vikings
Best Medical Returnee: Tim Bowens, Miami
Breakout Season, DT: Darnell Dockett, Cards
Breakout Season, NT: Anthony Adams, 49ers
Under Scrutiny AFC: Gerard Warren, Broncos
Under Scrutiny NFC: Damione Lewis, Rams
Last Chance: Chris Hovan, Buccs

Outside Linebackers:

img7773457.jpg

#1 Keith Bulluck, Titans
#2 Derrick Brooks, Buccs
#3 Takeo Spikes, Bills
#4 Keith Brooking, Falcons
#5 Lavar Arrington, Commanders
#6 Julian Peterson, 49ers
#7 Mike Vrabel, Patriots
#8 Joey Porter, Steelers
#9 Marcus Washington, Commanders
#10 D.J. Williams, Broncos
Next in Line: Lance Briggs, Bears
Best Backup: Roosevelt Colvin, Pats
Best Tandem: Lavar Arrington & Marcus Washington, Commanders
Most Underrated Tandem: Steve Foley & Shawne Merrima, Chargers
Best Trio: Mike Vrabel, Willie McGinest & Roosevelt Colvin, Pats
Best Rookie: Derrick Johnson, Chiefs
Best Addition: Jamie Sharper, Seahawks
Best Medical Returnee: Lavar Arrington, Commanders & Boss Bailey, Lions
Breakout Season, AFC: Antwan Peek, Texans
Breakout Season, NFC: Karlos Dansby, Cards
Under Scrutiny: Keith Adams, Eagles
Tandem Under Scrutiny: Jason Babin & Antwan Peek, Texans

Inside Linebackers

img5784132.jpg

#1 Ray Lewis, Ravens
#2 Brian Urlacher, Bears
#3 James Farrior, Steelers
#4 Donnie Edwards, Chargers
#5 Jeremiah Trotter, Eagles
#6 Dan Morgan, Panthers
#7 Al Wilson, Broncos
#8 Jonathan Vilma, Jets
#9 Zach Thomas, Dolphins
#10 London Fletcher, Bills
Next in Line: Antonio Pierce, Giants
Best Backup: Kevin Lewis, Giants

Best Tandem: Donnie Edwards & Randall Godfrey, Chargers
Most Underrated Tandem: Derek Smith & Jeff Ulbrich, 49ers
Best Rookie: David Pollack, Bengals
Best Addition, AFC: Kendrell Bell, Chiefs
Best Addition, NFC: Chris Claiborne, Rams
Best Medical Returnee: Brian Urlacher, Bears
Breakout Season, AFC: Larry Foote, Steelers
Breakout Season, NFC: Lemar Marshall, Commanders
Under Scrutiny: Ed Hartwell, Falcons
Tandem Under Scrutiny: Monty Beisel & Chad Brown, Pats

Cornerbacks

t1_mcalister_ap-01.jpg

#1 Chris McAlister, Ravens
#2 Nate Clements, Bills
#3 Samari Rolle, Ravens
#4 Champ Bailey, Broncos
#5 Ronde Barber, Buccs
#6 Antoine Winfield, Vikings
#7 Patrick Surtain, Chiefs
#8 Charles Tillman, Bears
#9 Sam Madison, Dolphins
#10 Charles Woodson, Raiders
Next in Line: Fred Smoot, Vikings
Best Tandem, AFC: Chris McAllister & Samari Rolle, Ravens
Best Tandem, NFC: Antoine Winfield & Fred Smoot, Vikings
Best Trio, AFC: Phillip Buchanon, Dunta Robinson & Demarcus Faggins, Texans
Best Trio: NFC: Antoine Winfield, Fred Smoot & Brian Williams, Vikings
Best Rookie AFC: Marlin Jackson, Colts
Best Rookie NFC: Antrel Rolle, Cards
Best Addition, AFC: Samari Rolle, Ravens
Best Addition, NFC: Fred Smoot, Vikings
Best Medical Returnee: Ty Law
Breakout Season AFC: Gary Baxter, Browns
Breakout Season NFC: Terence Newman, Cowboys
Under Scrutiny AFC: Duane Starks, Pats
Under Scrutiny NFC: Anthony Henry, Cowboys

Safeties

img7965176.jpg

#1 Ed Reed, Ravens
#2 Rodney Harrison, Pats
#3 Brian Dawkins, Eagles
#4 Roy Williams, Cowboys
#5 Mike Brown, Bears
#6 Lawyer Milloy, Bills
#7 Eugene Wilson, Pats
#8 Sean Taylor, Commanders
#9 Donovin Darius, Jaguars
#10 Michael Lewis, Eagles
Next in Line, FS: Darren Sharper, Vikings
Next in Line, SS: Adrian Wilson, Cards
Best Tandem AFC: Rodney Harrison & Eugene Wilson, Pats
Best Tandem NFC: Brian Dawkins & Michael Lewis, Eagles
Best Rookie FS: Thomas Davis, Panthers
Best Rookie SS: Nick Collins, Packers
Best Addition FS: Darren Sharper, Vikings
Best Addition SS: Kenoy Kennedy, Lions
Best Medical Returnee: Mike Brown, Bears
Breakout Season FS: Erik Coleman, Jets
Breakout Season SS: Madieu Williams, Bengals
Under Scrutiny AFC: Tebucky Jones, Dolphins
Under Scrutiny NFC: Adam Archuleta, Rams

Kickers

#1 Adam Vinatieri, Pats
#2 Mike Vanderjagt, Colts
#3 Sabastian Janikowski, Raiders
#4 Shayne Graham, Bengals
#5 Jeff Wilkins, Rams

Punters

#1 Shane Lechler, Raiders
#2 Mitch Berger, Saints
#3 Tom Tupa, Commanders
#4 Brad Maynard, Bears
#5 Scott Player, Cards

.....Continued

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
....Continued

DRAFT GRADES:

Dallas Cowboys: A

1(11) Demarcus Ware, DE, Troy - Pros recognize the stature of this program, which has reached the level of a Marshall of the 1990s... Ware also can play LB and will get to the QB from wherever... A bit raw, but has athletic ability to overcome some of that... Must get better against the run... Can he cover anyone, or will he just be a blitzer?
1(20) Marcus Spears, DE, LSU - After junior year, it looked like he would be a top five pick... Didn't really fall off as senior, just didn't develop enough as pass rusher... Powerful and tall, knows how to throw off blockers... Former fullback and tight end, showing his versatility... Could be effective blocking kicks... Doesn't always go all-out... Coach Bill Parcells needs to be patient
2(42) Kevin Burnett, LB, Tennessee - Very good in space, uses his size (6-3, 232) well... Former DB who grew nicely into LB... Had major knee surgery in 2002... Can be fooled, but was getting better at avoiding mistakes by end of season... Hard-hitter who will appear on highlight reels... Good choice for Parcells-coached team
4(109) Marion Barber III, RB, Minnesota - Father was a productive pro with Jets on special teams; the son should do the same for the Cowboys... Shared duties at Minnesota, but can handle a full load... Can get outside and makes nice cuts... Some scouts believe he needed another year in college... Keeps going when hit, even though he isn't particularly powerful
4(132) Chris Canty, DE, Viriginia - Injuries dropped his stock... Also some off-field issues... Powerful and has good technique... Tall (6-7) and can be good kick-blocker... Generally took backseat to Viriginia's LBs... Won't be a big sack threat, could wind up as early-down player
6(208) Justin Beriault, S, Ball State - Rugged and powerful against the run, has not showed he can cover on the next level... Would need to work in a zone to be most effective... Look for him on special teams... Has some leadership skills, which enticed Dallas.
6(209) Rob Petitti, T, Pittsburgh - Stock dropped precipitously in senior season... Holds his ground well, bur struggled with turf toe as senior... Very slow... If Parcells thinks this is another Jumbo Elliott, he's probably wrong... Strickly a right tackle type.
7(224) Jay Ratliff, DT, Auburn - Useful player for powerful Tigers... Played tackle in college, projects outside, but could fit in 3-4 as tackle... Did well in postseason... Non-stop motor, one of better seventh-rounders chosen.
Good Move - Just about everywhere, especially the first three picks, who should be starters.
Tell Me Why - Why shouldn't the Cowboys rebound from their awful year?
Could Surprise - Ratliff has a lot to offer down the road if not this year.

Philadelphia Eagles: B+
New York Giants: A
Washington Commanders: B

A LOOK AHEAD AT THE 2006 DRAFT

QUARTERBACKS: #1 Matt Leinart, USC.... next in line (after top 10) Reggie McNeal, TX A&M - Vince Young, TX - Jordan Palmer, UTEP

RUNNING BACKS: #1 Reggie Bush, USC... next in line (after top 15) Kejuan Jones (OKL), Selvin Young (TX)

FULLBACKS: #1 Matt Bernstein, WISCONSIN... #5 Shawn Willis (OKSTATE)... next in line (after top 5) Victor Mann (KANSST), Lawrence Vickers (COLORADO)

WIDE RECEIVERS: #1 Santonio Holmes, OHIO STATE... next in line (after top 15) Jarrett Hicks (TX TECH), Travis Wilson (OKLAH)

TIGHT ENDS: #1 Mercedes Lewis, UCLA... #5 MATT HERIAN, NEBRASKA

CENTERS: #1 Greg Elsinger, MINNESOTA

OFFENSIVE GUARDS: #1 Mike Jones, IOWA... #3 David Joseph, OKLAHOMA... next in line (after top 10) Tony Palmer (MISSOURI)

OFFENSIVE TACKLES: #1 Eric Winston, MIAMI... Jonathan Scott, TEXAS

DEFENSIVE TACKLES: #1 Rodrique Wright, TEXAS... #6 Lekevin Smith, NEBRASKA... #10 Dusty Dvoracek, OKLAHOMA

DEFENSIVE ENDS: #1 Mathias Kiwanuka, BOSTON COLLEGE

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS: #1 Chad Greenway, IOWA... #8 Thomas Howard, UTEP... Next in Line (after top 10) Rufus Alexander (OKL), Laurence Pinson (OKST)

INSIDE LINEBACKERS: #1 Ahmad Brooks, VIRGINIA... #10 Aaron Harris, TEXAS... Next in Line (after top 10) Justin Warren (TXA&M)

CORNERBACKS: #1 Michael Huff, TEXAS... #6 Chijioke Onyenegecha, OKLAHOMA... Next in Line (after top 10) Eric Bassey (OKL)

SAFETIES: #1 Laron Landry, LSU... #6 Cedric Griffin, TEXAS, #7 Dan Bullocks, NEBRASKA... Next in Line (after top 10) Jaxson Appel (TXA&M), J.J. Billingsley (COLORADO), Will Gulley (HOUSTON)

KEEPING THE FAITH: REGGIE WHITE, HE WALKED WITH GIANTS

White_XBody_1229.jpg

Lineman Calvin Clark, former teammate in the USFL, and minister himself: "I always called him 'the big kid.' He just had an innocence about him. When he was around you, he added life to you."

Johnny Majors, White's college coach at Tennessee: "He's the most dominating defensive player that I have ever seen in college football; that I have coached in football."

White's accolades - 13 time Pro Bowler, 2 time NFL Defensive Player of Year, retired as NFL's all-time sack leader, his 21 sacks in '87 fell 1 shot of the NFL single season record in a strike shortened season, selected to the NFL's 75th Anniversary All-Time Team in '94, still holds the Super Bowl single-game sack record

Longtime friend Herman Prater: "They made fun of him, you know, in high school, when he carried his Bible with him. Being a football player, it was kind of strange to see someone like that walking around with a Bible. He believed in The Word."

After his death, ESPN's Andrea Kramer discovered he hadn't set foot in a church or ministered since his 2000 retirement. It turns out he was studying Hebrew to better translate the Old Testmanet and get closer to the intial source. The once "found" minister had become the seeker again. It alienated many of his former Christian friends.

Ex-teammate Sean Jones: "We always had this joke in the locker room and out on the practice field. Anytime Reggie got upset he would come stand beside me, and as he said his sentences, wherever a curse word would normally fit in, I would interject the curse word for him. We kind of tag-teamed."

Ron Wolf on recruiting White for the Packers: "I told him, 'You're already a great football player. Come here and you'll be a legend. And a legend he is."

....AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST, FOR ALL THE FELLAS, THE BEST PICS IN THE LINDY'S CHEERLEADER CENTERFOLD THIS YEAR! :D

chrleader1bw.jpg

cheerleader25xr.jpg

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
YES!

How right Lindy's is to point out Mumbles built on the Parcells formula, and that no other HC has ever had the knack for turning around long term abysmal franchises that Tuna has. It's ironic that when the "Tree" is headed by Bill Walsh, his lieutenants' successes just add to his glory. But with Parcells, it's "he can't win without" the man he trained, nurtured, and guided.

News for ya mediots..when the student outdoes the teacher, it's ALWAYS to the credit of the teacher. To realize bigger and better accomplishments by the next generation is WHY you teach.

But after Bill does it here as well, there should be no doubt, no doubt, no matter how many rings Mumbles get tweaking a Tuna built organization.

PS Thanks for that hard work and thoughfulness, TBC!

jsond

Reaction score
thanks for that post, I know it took some work and is much appreciated! Now I feel like I don't even need to buy that preview mag as I do every year.

doomsday_II

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
#2 How much better will Drew Bledsoe make the Cowboys?

A: He had better runners, better receivers and a better defense in Buffalo and the Bills were 9-7. Parcells might take his chances with 9-7.

That is a matter of opinion. Even if he is right, they had no offensive line which makes it sort of tough to throw.

BTW, excellent post.

MissionCoach

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
YES!

How right Lindy's is to point out Mumbles built on the Parcells formula, and that no other HC has ever had the knack for turning around long term abysmal franchises that Tuna has. It's ironic that when the "Tree" is headed by Bill Walsh, his lieutenants' successes just add to his glory. But with Parcells, it's "he can't win without" the man he trained, nurtured, and guided.

News for ya mediots..when the student outdoes the teacher, it's ALWAYS to the credit of the teacher. To realize bigger and better accomplishments by the next generation is WHY you teach.

But after Bill does it here as well, there should be no doubt, no doubt, no matter how many rings Mumbles get tweaking a Tuna built organization.

What he said:signmast:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Lot's of work! Thank you very, very much!

That's why this place is so great... people like you TBC.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
YES!

I remember when Phil Jackson was threatening to break Red Auerbach's record for NBA Finals victories last year, and the big argument was "anybody can win that many titles with Michael Jordan and Shaq!" Jimmy Johnson was the victim of the same disrespect, including by his own owner! LOL

So my point is if so many coaches with incredible playoff records are going to be knocked down for winning with teams loaded with Hall of Famers, what about the coach who continually (through 4 different teams!) takes some of the league's worst squads and turns them into the best? His team building is so effective that not only during his reign, but after his reign, the Jets and Pats have all enjoyed great runs for many years.

Dye

Reaction score
damn, TruBlueCowboy - excellent post and great work! thanks for taking the time to give us this great read.

and i completely disagree with us finishing 3rd as it stated. i say 2nd behind eagles and wildcard berth.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
A few notes:
1. The DB grade was so low because they had to fit Dallas into that NFCE 3rd slot total IMHO. Grading Dallas below 8 with the top 3 corners they have and RW is just not acceptable. Prolly should be 8.5 or 9. The team they rate the best CB trio was starting Glenn last season.

2. Bledsoe may have had better WRs. But probably not if the guys here are healthy. And certainly not if you include Witten as they do in their grading. The OL here is beter and I'd argue the RBs are better. McGahee and Henry were good but they were also on bad terms. The guys here have defined roles. The defense was very good in Buffalo but they also played int he hrdest division in football and won a very high percentage when they did get the good RB in the game.

3. How do they rate OLs? They have Dallas with 3 gusy rated top 8 or higher at their position and a breakout guy at Center yet rate us as an average bunch based on RT? ROFL. We should have the best OL in the division if those guys are all rated top 8 as they suggest and AJ does break out.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
jterrell said:
A few notes:
1. The DB grade was so low because they had to fit Dallas into that NFCE 3rd slot total IMHO. Grading Dallas below 8 with the top 3 corners they have and RW is just not acceptable. Prolly should be 8.5 or 9. The team they rate the best CB trio was starting Glenn last season.

I had that same suspicion. It looked like they went through some positional ratings and changed them to fix the overall score closer to what their predictions are. :blind:

Dye

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

great comment coming from a very wise lady. couldn't have said this any better!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Wow, you had to type all that in by hand, TruBlue? That would take me a week!

Thanks for doing it, good stuff there...

burmafrd

Reaction score
Typical Cowboy haters- once they did the individual ratings I can imagine the response as they looked at them and realized that the Boys would then be right there with the Birds overall- and they COULD NOT have that. Look at the contortions they had to do to make the midgets 2nd.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Wow, you had to type all that in by hand, TruBlue? That would take me a week!

Thanks for doing it, good stuff there...

Well, it did take me a week. LOL I just went at it for a few minutes everyday so that it didn't feel like too much. Hope you folks enjoy. Football is kind of slow right now, I know everyone is anxiously awaiting the season! :showme:

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Well, it did take me a week. LOL I just went at it for a few minutes everyday so that it didn't feel like too much. Hope you folks enjoy. Football is kind of slow right now, I know everyone is anxiously awaiting the season! :showme:
Plus he had to get the cheerleader to agree to a photo shoot... ;)

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Plus he had to get the cheerleader to agree to a photo shoot... ;)

Yeah, both of them thought it was really creepy when this dude with a Troy Aikman jersey, blue face paint, and large foam Cowboys hat kept hounding them for photos, but at last they relented. ;)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TruBlueCowboy said:
You couldn't scan the mag as text? My all-in-one lets me scan stuff in all kinds of formats. No way I'd want to type all that, no matter how diligent I am at finding articles for the 'zone.

Props to you, TBC...:thumbup: