Clowney to Eagles?

Mr_437

Reaction score
My thinking is Texas is in a place at OT where we were at WR before the Cooper. They are gonna take an OT in the first next. They pretty much dont have much of a choice
Agreed about the OT situation, but then what did they get for Clowney?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Agreed about the OT situation, but then what did they get for Clowney?
In the scenario Clowney would be the premium trading a 2019 1st round for a 2020.

With his contract situation, Clowney's trade value isnt going to be a first round pick. Probably more of a second rounder.

Where its a savvy move by the Eagles is that 1) Are able to collect the premium for moving Dillard, without really hurting there 2019 season. Actually strengthening there team as Clowney would have a bigger 2019 impact than Dillard 2) Setting themselves up to possibly collect a 3rd comp pick if the do let Clowney walk

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tytus Howard should be their next OLT. Good prospect they just took in the 1st round. They also took Scharping in the 2nd, and have Martinas Rankins, their 3rd from last year who was very raw and may be a viable starter at some point.
I didn't realize they had spent that much capital recently on the OL. However, while they are giving up more than they are getting, I wont knock them for placing a premium on protecting Watson. If he didnt get sack as much or more than Carr last year, then it was close

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I’m wondering if Washington would trade Trent Williams to HOU for Clowney

Trent wants out. Cap hit: Clowney ~$15.9M. Trent ~$14.9M

kskboys

Reaction score
I wouldn't be happy trading Alshon. I'd be cool with Jordan Howard, Mailata, and picks. I don't think the Texans take that though. I don't see Clowney coming to Philly.
I think JJ can more than adequately replace him. Jeffrey has always been wildly inconsistent, and was just OK last season.

C42

Reaction score
I think JJ can more than adequately replace him. Jeffrey has always been wildly inconsistent, and was just OK last season.
His presence on the field opens up so much for our other weapons. He will never put up numbers like he did in Chicago in our offense. But he's still a #1 receiver.

C42

Reaction score
I wouldn't like this one. Dillard has looked great, Peters will be done next year. And Clowney is likely a one-year rental. I wouldn't mind Clowney but not at the expense of Dillard.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wouldn't like this one. Dillard has looked great, Peters will be done next year. And Clowney is likely a one-year rental. I wouldn't mind Clowney but not at the expense of Dillard.
You would be getting alot back for Dillard though. Not just a rental on Clowney, but the ability to get a 3rd round comp when he walks

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
For the record, this isn't an actual proposal. The guy is just putting something he thinks works for both sides out there. It isn't based on any reports, or sources. It's just an opinion

quickccc

Reaction score
Kinda does make sense actually. Clowney is a 1 year rental so his value isnt all that high. Probably a 2nd or 3rd. If they keep him beyond this year he will probably cost more than Lawrence. Dillard has more value to Houston who absolutely needs to protect Watson then next years first.

Eagles may be able to pull a 3rd comp from Clowney. Would be savvy move by the Eagles. But not a terrible bad move by the Texans either. Dillard is really good

that trade scenario doesn’t make sense to me.
they already have a 1st round invested in Derek Barnett who is returning from IR, They re-sign Brian graham,.. but most importantly, you’re now going to give up the first round pick OT that you just drafted in this year’s 2019 draft, and counting on to protect your most valuable franchise QB Wentz ?

Did we not see what NOT investing in OL did to the pounding and abuse toll QB Andrew luck took for most of his career in Indy ?

and there is no way I’d be giving up either Dillard or a 1s round draft pick for a 1 year rental guy ?
If Eagles somehow decided to trade for Clowney, they immediately come to a mutual agreement and sign him to a long term deal.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
that trade scenario doesn’t make sense to me.
they already have a 1st round invested in Derek Barnett who is returning from IR, They re-sign Brian graham,.. but most importantly, you’re now going to give up the first round pick OT that you just drafted in this year’s 2019 draft, and counting on to protect your most valuable franchise QB Wentz ?

Did we not see what NOT investing in OL did to the pounding and abuse toll QB Andrew luck took for most of his career in Indy ?

and there is no way I’d be giving up either Dillard or a 1s round draft pick for a 1 year rental guy ?
If Eagles somehow decided to trade for Clowney, they immediately come to a mutual agreement and sign him to a long term deal.

They can't sign him to a long term deal. He will play on the franchise tag regardless of whether the team wants to sign long term or not.

quickccc

Reaction score
They can't sign him to a long term deal. He will play on the franchise tag regardless of whether the team wants to sign long term or not.

I don't believe Clowney has signed a franchise tag offer - reportedly he was considering signing/playing under the franchise tag, until the team tried to pursue a trade for him.

if he had signed, I believe an NFL team interested in trading for him, would have to surrender two 1st round draft picks,
and when was the last time ANY NFL team actually did that for a franchise tagged player ? ( LB Wilber marshall back in the 80's ?)

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
I don't believe Clowney has signed a franchise tag offer - reportedly he was considering signing/playing under the franchise tag, until the team tried to pursue a trade for him.

if he had signed, I believe an NFL team interested in trading for him, would have to surrender two 1st round draft picks,
and when was the last time ANY NFL team actually did that for a franchise tagged player ? ( LB Wilber marshall back in the 80's ?)

They would only have to surrender the picks if if they signed him to a long term deal and the Texans decided not to match it. If they choose to trade the player it doesn't have to include two first round picks

Mr_437

Reaction score
In the scenario Clowney would be the premium trading a 2019 1st round for a 2020.

With his contract situation, Clowney's trade value isnt going to be a first round pick. Probably more of a second rounder.

Where its a savvy move by the Eagles is that 1) Are able to collect the premium for moving Dillard, without really hurting there 2019 season. Actually strengthening there team as Clowney would have a bigger 2019 impact than Dillard 2) Setting themselves up to possibly collect a 3rd comp pick if the do let Clowney walk
That's cool for draft stuff, but Peters is old and starting to miss games. PHI needs another good OT (Dillard) more than another pass rusher. It would be irresponsible for Howie to expose his QB to a thin OL, based on #11 injury history. There's a reason they drafted dude, and I don't think that line of thinking is changing due to Clowney.

kskboys

Reaction score
His presence on the field opens up so much for our other weapons. He will never put up numbers like he did in Chicago in our offense. But he's still a #1 receiver.
Possibly, but I like the rook u guys drafted, JJ, n think he'll be better than Jeffrey.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Just remember, if you want to go after this guy, you need to call a team that fired their GM to negotiate with a player who fired his agent.