Clowney?

J-man

Reaction score
Would you seek a deal with Clowney from Seattle? What would you be willing to offer? I know his asking price just came down and I haven't heard of any interest at that price yet so he may be getting to the point where he realizes he isn't going to be in the high teens of millions/year.

Could we get him for 2 years $28 mil? Or 3 years 37mil? Would you do it?

Reactions: BAT

Sydla

Reaction score
I am just kind of perplexed what they are thinking when it comes to rushing the passer. They were fairly average last year at getting after the QB and that was with Quinn. I assume they think McCoy and hopefully Gallimore provide more interior pressure than they got out of Collins, but I am not sure how they can look at RDE and think it's fine. Are they banking on a scheme change somehow increasing their sacks and pressure rates?

I'd like to think they are sniffing around Clowney or Griffen or even Golden................ but who knows.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's tough to peg what he wants.

I'd have no problem giving him 2 years at ~$20m.

I'd have no issues on a one year deal at like $14MM or so......... they'd obviously have to move some money around (restructure, sign Dak lowering his cap hit, cut Crawford, etc) to do it but I would be fine with that.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'd have no issues on a one year deal at like $14MM or so......... they'd obviously have to move some money around (restructure, sign Dak lowering his cap hit, cut Crawford, etc) to do it but I would be fine with that.
Clowney is in a weird place statistically. Last year he was one best pass rushers in double team and pass rush win rate. However he had very little sack production. It tells me there could be some value in signing him as long as his price isnt top tier DE level

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Don't need him and cant afford the cap hit. Let's see what the draft, FAs, existing guys and misfits can do.

jay94

Reaction score
Make it heavily incentivized contractually by sacks, turn overs, and tfl's. I don't have much faith on our DE roster as it stands.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Don't need him and cant afford the cap hit. Let's see what the draft, FAs, existing guys and misfits can do.
They need a second passrusher and yes they can afford the cap hit.

Way rather spend on Clowney than depend on Gregory and/or Smith.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I love the player more than most and I wanted him here from the beginning of FA.

I wanted to give Coopers money to him.

But I very seriously doubt the team is going in this direction.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Make it heavily incentivized contractually by sacks, turn overs, and tfl's. I don't have much faith on our DE roster as it stands.

Lower base with incentives tied to sacks, TFL and turnovers up to $20M would be ideal.

Cowboys cannot afford to overly rely on Aldon Smith/Randy Gregory this season even if reinstatement occurs, neither guy has played the game for years.

Would also sign Michael Bennett as he can play either 4-3 or 3-4.