cnnsi.com Peter King: Week one picks

Jon

Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/09/08/pickoff/index.html

Kicking off with a shootout
Raiders-Pats makes for exciting start to season

Oakland (0-0) at New England (0-0)
Scarier game than most would think for the defending champs, and it's because of a new Raiders acquisition. Not Randy Moss. LaMont Jordan. He'll have a big night.
Patriots 30, Raiders 24

Denver (0-0) at Miami (0-0)
Hard to say what kind of team Nick Saban's going to field, but it better defend the run. The Broncos are going to try to pound it all day.
Broncos 21, Dolphins 10

Houston (0-0) at Buffalo (0-0)
J.P. Losman gets chased all over Orchard Park by an underrated Texans pass rush, but this game's not about the quarterbacks. It's about the backs and Willis McGahee outgains Domanick Davis 126-59.
Bills 20, Texans 13

New Orleans (0-0) at Carolina (0-0)
America's Team is no longer the Cowboys. It's the Saints. But emotional backing and a warm ovation from Pantherville can take the Saints only so far. Jake Delhomme's riddles the Saint secondary.
Panthers 23, Saints 21

Cincinnati (0-0) at Cleveland (0-0)
It's going to be a very, very long year for the Browns. So Bengals fans, don't go making any great judgments on your team after this game.
Bengals 30, Browns 6

Chicago (0-0) at Washington (0-0)
In a game that sets offensive football back 40 years, Washington scores a defensive touchdown to win. In the back of his mind, Joe Gibbs thinks: It won't be long before I call on rookie QB Jason Campbell.
Commanders 16, Bears 9

Seattle (0-0) at Jacksonville (0-0)
Talk about your major disappointments. Mike Holmgren's got a 5 1/2-hour plane flight after this one, and I bet he'll need that liquor cart very soon after boarding.
Jaguars 27, Seahawks 7

Tennessee (0-0) at Pittsburgh (0-0)
The Titans are better than anyone thinks and will get a valiant effort from defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz's crew. But at the end of the day, Tennessee just can't run it well enough to win this one.
Steelers 17, Titans 16

New York (0-0) at Kansas City (0-0)
This is going to be a scoreathon. The Jets are going to try to run all over the Chiefs. Look for Curtis Martin to get 29 carries. But with PriET Holmes healthy, Kansas City's a better running team.
Chiefs 33, Jets 23

Tampa Bay (0-0) at Minnesota (0-0)
This is not a misprint. Vikes hold a team to single digits. "We're not your daddy's Vikings," Darren Sharper, one of the new Minnesota defenders, says after the game.
Vikings 17, Buccaneers 3

Arizona (0-0) at New York (0-0)
It will be a shaky debut for Eli Manning, but he'll find Plaxico Burress for a big touchdown in this one. Rookie corner Corey Webster's will start his career right, with a pick of Kurt Warner.
Giants 19, Cardinals 17

Green Bay (0-0) at Detroit (0-0)
Six field goals by Jason Hanson is all well and good, but that means Joey Harrington's not finishing drives against a sub-par Green Bay D. Brett Favre passes 50,000 career passing yards.
Packers 34, Lions 26

St. Louis (0-0) at San Francisco (0-0)
I may be a lone ranger about this team, but I think the Rams are going to be pretty good. Ten-win good. If they're going to be that successful, they've got to throttle a rebuilder like the Niners.
Rams 33, 49ers 10

Dallas (0-0) at San Diego (0-0)
Defensive Week continues. The new-look Cowboys hold the Chargers to one offensive touchdown and 180 total yards and sack Drew Brees seven times. But Dallas can't make enough big plays to win.

Chargers 14, Cowboys 10

Indianapolis (0-0) at Baltimore (0-0)
I just can't see the revved-up Ravens, as solid as they are on defense, harnessing Peyton Manning for four quarters. Kyle Boller throws for two touchdowns and keeps the boo birds at bay. For a while.
Colts 23, Ravens 21

Philadelphia (0-0) at Atlanta (0-0)
Stat Line of the Week: Terrell Owens seven catches, 148 yards, two touchdowns.
Eagles 23, Falcons 13

dallasblue05

Reaction score
I dont know if you guys caught this, and I'm not sure how it makes me feel. I know I didnt like it when I read it, check out the New Orleans blurb. It says Americas team is no longer the Cowboys....its the Saints. BULL SHIZZLE.....lol, I dont think so buddy. Im not insensitive, I have family and close friends who were greatly affected by this tragedy, but New Orleans is NOT Americas team!!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dallasblue05 said:
but New Orleans is NOT Americas team!!
A local sportswriter put the same thing in our paper yesterday. I called him and ripped his backside pretty darn good. The 'Aints America's Team? Give me a break.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
That's ********. Saitns arent america's team. People in NO didnt give 2 ****s about the Saints, just because of hte tragedy, which is horrible, I don't tink that NO would become the favorite all of a sudden. NYs teams didnt become NFL favorites after 9/11

jsond

Reaction score
Other than the Pack over the Lions he picked every favorite to win. C'mon Pete go out on a limb a little bit. Not to mention Detroit is only a slight favorite.

And I totally agree that if we sack Brees 7 times and hold them to 180 yds we will walk out of that stadium with a win. I am not expecting us to score a ton of pts but their defense aint that good.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I take it he feels the Chargers Defense will score a touchdown as he says we hold them to one TD but he has them with 14 points.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Let the Saints have the America's Team title. I never cared for it much anyway. All it does is flood our loyal Cowboys fanbase with a bunch of football ignorant morons countrywide who don't have a team of their own to represent.

If we sack the QB 7 times... they're not winning.

Compacity

Benched
Reaction score
Be Ware of Spears coming around the End and The Runningbacks for Dallas showing off...

Didn't Bledsoe say every TD pass thrown by him he donating 2500 dollars to the redcross fund...

28-10 COWBOYS

Bledsoe will be donating 5000... how many touchdowns from Bledsoe?

Julius Jones would be donating 2500
Anthony Thomas will be donating 2500 too...

Tricky-22

Git R Done
Reaction score
Jon said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/09/08/pickoff/index.html
Oakland (0-0) at New England (0-0)
Scarier game than most would think for the defending champs, and it's because of a new Raiders acquisition. Not Randy Moss. LaMont Jordan. He'll have a big night.
Patriots 30, Raiders 24

He pretty much hit that one right on the head.

Dallas (0-0) at San Diego (0-0)
Defensive Week continues. The new-look Cowboys hold the Chargers to one offensive touchdown and 180 total yards and sack Drew Brees seven times. But Dallas can't make enough big plays to win.

Chargers 14, Cowboys 10

I hope that he wrong about this one. Picking 1st week games is usually a crap shoot anyway. Maybe he just got lucky with the Pats game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Tricky-22 said:
He pretty much hit that one right on the head.

I hope that he wrong about this one. Picking 1st week games is usually a crap shoot anyway. Maybe he just got lucky with the Pats game.

Nothing lucky about predicting the Pats winning a game at their house.