CNNSI Detailing LaVar Arrington's Fall From Grace In D.C....

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
...I haven't been in favor of Arrington because I think he's an undisciplined defensive player, but this article sheds some light on his stunning fall from grace in D.C. and makes me think he will return to make an impact somewhere if he finds the right fit.

End Of A Football Affair:
How Arrington Went From Favorite Son To Leaving D.C.

LaVar Arrington had been the face of the Washington Commanders and the most popular sports figure in the nation's capital. The outside linebacker loved the community and organized countless charity events. Yet, at 27, Arrington forfeited $4.4 million for the opportunity to leave.

Arrington's decision had salary-cap ramifications beneficial to both sides. However, the denouement to this two-year soap opera was personal as much as business.

Arrington's days were numbered once he accused owner Daniel Snyder of cheating him in an eight-year, $68 million extension signed in December 2003. Arrington contended that the club purposely removed an agreed-upon $6.5 million in guarantees from a final draft he signed at Commanders Park under deadline pressure. Arrington filed a grievance against the Commanders in March 2004 and a resolution came after several postponed arbitration hearings.

Although Arrington had patched up some aspects of his relationship with the organization, too many wounds remained. The acrimony had been so deep that the club stopped featuring its former marquee attraction in its marketing campaigns. Then the defensive staff that came in 2004 ignored Arrington and bristled at his star power while emphasizing a no-name unit.

"It wasn't just X's and O's last season," one of the Commanders's top players told me this week. "A lot of it was personal. I don't know exactly where it was coming from, but it was bigger than any of us."

Arrington suffered a bone bruise in 2004 -- coach Joe Gibbs' first season back -- and missed 12 games. The linebacker's future became tenuous when the defense ranked third overall without him. After two surgeries, Arrington clashed with the organization over his contract and injuries. Despite regaining his health last season, Arrington played mostly spot duty, culminating a stunning fall from grace.

The recurring explanation was that Arrington was too undisciplined. It's a reputation that existed in 2002, when Marvin Lewis was Washington's defensive coordinator. Still, Arrington had made the Pro Bowl from 2001 to 2003. And he has withstood five head coaches -- and five defensive coordinators -- in six NFL seasons.

As a 6-foot-3, 255-pound outside linebacker with uber-athleticism and passion, Arrington will have several suitors -- perhaps including Washington's rivals, the Cowboys, Eagles and Giants.

Besides his football talent, Arrington is one of the most thoughtful, engaging and bright athletes I've covered in 10 years. He has the ideal personality to be a franchise player. However, I knew that there were irreconcilable differences after a contract settlement was reached last August. Shortly after my Washington Post story was posted on the newspaper's Web site, I received an unsolicited email from a high-ranking Commanders official, who declared that Arrington would never see an "extra penny" from the settlement.

Under the agreement, if Arrington made the Pro Bowl in two of the next four years, he could become a free agent unless Washington paid $3.25 million -- half the disputed money. So at the very least, this official seemed to indicate the team would let Arrington depart, regardless of whether he flourished. At the most, something beyond X's was occurring at Commanders Park. Why would someone close to Snyder not want his star player to succeed? And how brash -- or reckless -- was it to e-mail a reporter, even if there was an understanding that the sender wouldn't be quoted?

So when Arrington went from being Mr. Commander to Mr. Irrelevant last season, the e-mail stuck in my mind.

It was only last March that Snyder threatened to give star receiver Laveranues Coles a flat-screen TV to watch games at home if he nixed a Jets trade. ("'We'll bench you for two years, then we'll cut you,'" Coles said Snyder told him. "'If you come back, we'll torture you.'")

I'm not saying that such sinister instructions came from up top regarding Arrington. But you don't have to be Oliver Stone to realize that the fallout played a part in the humiliating treatment of the once-favored star.

Things changed dramatically after Arrington -- the second overall pick in 2000 -- was no longer Snyder's favorite player. They used to play chess on the team plane during flights to road games. Snyder and Arrington had lengthy phone discussions on wide-ranging subjects, including personnel moves. But last season, a few teammates told me that the club was trying to break Arrington's spirit and shake his confidence.

How else do you explain the linebacker being benched on third-and-long situations, when only reckless abandon -- something he didn't lack -- is required

Gregg Williams is a defensive mastermind who requires players adhere to a regimented system. He deserves to be a head coach again. But Arrington's weaknesses were exaggerated as the Commanders seemed to take pride in showing he was replaceable. Safety Sean Taylor also blew assignments, yet the talented safety was coddled. Of course, Arrington's saga was complicated by personalities: Linebackers coach Dale Lindsey, a curmudgeon with an expletive-filled vocabulary, never meshed with his sensitive star. (When Lindsey was on Norv Turner's staff in 1997, he lambasted a rookie linebacker so much that the player cried.)

Arrington wasn't blameless in the turn of events. After Williams joined Washington in 2004, Arrington and Taylor were the only two players who skipped voluntary workouts, instantly creating tension. And Arrington displayed curious timing by blasting the organization when he felt neglected. (According to one team official, one part of Washington's settlement proposal included a stipulation barring Arrington from publicly criticizing the team.)

I realized how much Arrington loved being a Commander after I visited him at his home in Fairfax, Va., in 2004 for his first public comments on the dispute. Arrington was in the middle of moving to Annapolis, Md., and the last room to be emptied was decorated with Commanders memorabilia.

I thought it was a tad creepy that a few fans would mill outside his front lawn to catch a glimpse of their favorite player, but he didn't mind.

The Commanders actually preferred that their erstwhile star restructure his contract to remain with the club, saving an extra four million or so under the cap. But Arrington would have had to remain in Washington another two years, delaying the inevitably ending of a drama in which personal matters too often mixed with business.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Interesting story. Some of the things make a lot of sense. I've never bought the idea that he was a huge trouble maker in the lockerroom. I've seen too much evidence to the contrary. He may not have been Marvin Lewis cup of tea (he really didn't fit his defense), but Shottenheimer loved him. Is he overrated? Maybe, but most people outside of Cowboy fandom think Roy Williams is overrated, and he is to a degree. Lavar Arrington is no LT and Roy Williams is no Ronnie Lott, despite the fact that they've been compared to them at various points in their careers. Doesn't mean they're bad players.

MrPhil

Reaction score
I would welcome him with open arms if we were to sign him as a FA.....

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score
Bring him on! I think the biggest problem we have on defense is the lack of passion. We need a personality and I think he could give it to us!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I do think Arrington got a raw deal there in DC and that his benching was much more related to $$ and personal matters than any supposed lack of discipline. He pissed off Snyder and got black balled, so to speak.

I always thought that he wasn't a good pick for a 4-3 defense. Too expensive for a position that simply required the LB to chase the ball and cover backs and TE's. I always thought he'd be dynamite in a 3-4. He's the perfect size for a 3-4 OLB and he has the athleticism to be a game changer. That's hard to do as a 4-3 OLB... but easy to do from a 3-4 OLB (see Taylor, Lawrence; Porter, Joey; Green, Kevin; Swilling, Pat; Jackson, Ricky; Banks, Carl; Lathon, Lamar; et al).

In other words, in a 4-3 where the game changers are DE's... he was a waste. In a 3-4 where the difference makers are the LB's... he'd be a great fit. At 27 years old, I'd love to see him come to Dallas opposite Ware. We could then use the 18th pick on Carpenter at ILB and we'd have a terrific set of 3-4 OLB's: Ware, Carpenter, James, Arrington with Burnett coming off the bench and he might be the most athletic of all of them.

Yes Lavar wouldn't be cheap, but in a 3-4 defense, the two places you spend big bucks are CB and LB. We'd be completely justified in spending that money. If we still ran a 4-3, he would be a waste of money and a true case of overkill... but in our 3-4... perfect. I mean, if you're not going to spend big money on your linebackers in a 34... where will you spend it?

Besides, getting him would also allow us to free up the 18th pick to get the ILB we need, or the ORT that we need. As it is, we need to use 18 on a SOLB. So by getting Lavar, it would allow us to get the OLB and the ILB we need in him and Carpenter. How else are we going to add that much talent and athleticism to our LB corps? At best, we'll get either an OLB or an ILB at number 18 and get by at the other spot. This way we'll have both. And imagine Arrington coming off of one edge and Ware coming off of the other. Who is the back going to chip? Just think how many times Ware would've gotten to the QB if when he beat the tackle the RB hadn't been there to chip him. Same would go for Arrington. He'd beat the tackle and if the TE or RB wasn't there to get him... QB beware.

The Offense would have to keep in the RB and the TE to help block on passing downs, which would free up the ILB and safeties. It would make the entire defense much better... and with James and Carpenter at ILB... watch out. We could send Arrington and Ware and blitz Carpenter up the middle because the backs and TE's would be staying in to block the two OLB's... it'd be great. That scenario is contingent upon us getting a dynamic player opposite ware at the SOLB spot. We could do it in the draft... but we could do it with Lavar and still have the 18th pick to use.

I say get Arrington.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Sounds like a lifelong Skins fan. I know if it were me and I had to choose between the Giants,Eagles and Commanders for a place to play it would not be the Skins!!!

Holloway805

05 & 09 Pick a Winner Champ
Reaction score
Pardon me for not following the Skins that close, but exactly where would Arrington play in our 3-4?

STSINAZ

Reaction score
i like this story...it reveals the truth about lavar....he can still play...we need to sign him..he is just what the doctor ordered...he would reak havoc again...especially 2 times a year for sure!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Holloway805 said:
Pardon me for not following the Skins that close, but exactly where would Arrington play in our 3-4?

He would play the strongside OLB position that Al Sigleton and Scott Fujita played last year. He would be on the opposite end of the LB's from Ware.

On passing downs, we could walk up Ware on one side of the offense (just of Canty's outside hip) and walk Arrington up on the other side of the offense (just off Spear's outside hip). That would give us a rush of:

Ware...Canty...Ferguson...Spears...Arrington

Then, like I said, help would be needed because it's doubtful that any 5 offensive linemen would be able to block those 5 guys... so the RB and TE would most likely be kept in to block. That would free up Carpenter or James to either help flood the passing lanes or to come on the blitz.

We could concievably send these guys after the QB:

Ware...Canty...^Carpenter...Ferguson...^Roy Williams...Spears...Arrington

:eek:

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
DallasDW00ds0n said:
i know this is off topic, but the pic of Roger in your sig is awesome

Thanks. The first time I saw that pic, I thought it was an awesome rendetion of Roger.

You know how boyhood heroes are to little boys who are now supposed to be all grown up. :)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Of course, Arrington's saga was complicated by personalities: Linebackers coach Dale Lindsey, a curmudgeon with an expletive-filled vocabulary, never meshed with his sensitive star.
Hmmm... Would Arrington have the personality to take Parcells' coaching?

notherbob

Reaction score
As soon as I heard about that squabble a couple of years ago, I believed it would drive a permanent wedge between LVA and the Skins. I also couldn't help but wonder whether it was a figment or a misunderstanding on his part, but I could tell that once he reacted to it the way he did, it was all over between them, it was only a matter of time.

I also wonder how it could have happened; if the agent read the contract before signing and it did not fit his understanding, he should have spoken up immediately. If the agent did read it and saw nothing wrong with it then the misunderstanding was all on LVA's part. If his agent did not read the contract to be sure it contained the correct agreement, then he made a blunder as an agent. At the time, I thought that a 6.5 mil SB was rather small for a player of LaVar's status.

Wonder what kind of deal he will get in the glut of LBs and CBs coming into FA this year?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

Maybe as well as Keyshawn Johnson and Bryan Cox have.

Shotty is a hard-nosed, old school coach and he loved him.

Finally, on his trip around the field, he sought out LaVar Arrington, who was a dominant star in Marty's defensive system, but was in the most remote doghouse at Commanders Park earlier this season. Schottenheimer simply stood in front of Arrington with his arms wide. After a moment, the disappointed linebacker couldn't help but break into his trademark grin and give his old coach a bear hug.

"Can't tell you what we said," said Arrington, who got a pep talk from Schottenheimer via a mutual NFL friend a few weeks ago when his battles with the Commanders' coaching staff and front office seemed most intense.

"Things were a little rough for LaVar earlier this season," said Schottenheimer. "I didn't think it was appropriate for me to contact him directly.But there are certain players throughout your career of whom you are just very fond. LaVar is one of them for me. I love his energy. He just loves to play the game."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/27/AR2005112701123.html

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

I think he would, Choco.

Bill, while he can be quite abrasive, does it in a little bit of a different way than just your typical, hard-nosed, yelling, harsh coach. It's hard for me to put into words what I mean... but he does it in almost a playful, motivational way. You certainly need a thick skin in dealing with Parcells... but if you're one of his guys, he more pushes you and kids with you in a way that makes you want to do good for him.

Ahh, I can't explain what I mean... he's not just a hardA**, if you know what I mean, Lab. He's hard on the players, but he stands by them more than anyone else does. You know what I'm trying to say CL?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I know what you mean, ** (and IR). And I'm sure Parcells would take this into account as long as the player played like a manman on the field.

What about Arrington as a 34 OLB? He's been a 43 guy his whole life... Do you guys think he'd be willing to take on blockers on the line almost every play without having as much freedom to run to the ball? Or that he'd come play for us in that new system when he could go to plenty of other 43 teams?

Parcells has to at least be interested in any LB who is that big, that fast, that aggressive, and was such a good propsect in the past... And come to think of it, Parcells and Marty are friends, so maybe Parcells could get some inside scoop...

MiStar

Reaction score
He can penetrate the backfield as well as anyone, but his injury problems scare me given his style of play.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Lavar has always been an across the line of scrimmage type of linebacker. He doesn't want to chase sideline to sideline, he wan'ts to get across the line of scrimmage and wreak havoc in the backfield. That's what he was best at when he played at Penn State. Leaping over offensive linemen and attacking the QB. The only time he's ever been put in position to suit his strengths was under Schotty when he got to play nickel pass rusher. He had 11 sacks.

BC IN DC

Reaction score
I think LaVar is as big as anybody that Parcells would get in FA or the draft. One year here in DC, the Skins had LaVar play DE in obvious passing downs, (the year he had 11 sacks) so I think he can handle playing in 3-4.