CNNSI Detailing LaVar Arrington's Fall From Grace In D.C....

BC IN DC

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Lavar has always been an across the line of scrimmage type of linebacker. He doesn't want to chase sideline to sideline, he wan'ts to get across the line of scrimmage and wreak havoc in the backfield. That's what he was best at when he played at Penn State. Leaping over offensive linemen and attacking the QB. The only time he's ever been put in position to suit his strengths was under Schotty when he got to play nickel pass rusher. He had 11 sacks.

Great minds think alike!! my post below. not as quick on the keyboard I guess.:D

I think LaVar is as big as anybody that Parcells would get in FA or the draft. One year here in DC, the Skins had LaVar play DE in obvious passing downs, (the year he had 11 sacks) so I think he can handle playing in 3-4.

playit12

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
What about Arrington as a 34 OLB? He's been a 43 guy his whole life... Do you guys think he'd be willing to take on blockers on the line almost every play without having as much freedom to run to the ball? Or that he'd come play for us in that new system when he could go to plenty of other 43 teams?

First I think that the LBs in a 3-4 are almost interchangeable. The pats routinely move their OLBers to ILBers and vice versa depending on opponents and injuries. If I did have to identify a difference I'd say you want your OLB to be faster and have the ability to turn back a run to the outside (like a DE). On the other hand you want your ILB to be able to shed blocks and play downhill.

As for Lavar, I think he would prefer not to play in a 3-4 regardless of how good of a fit it is. In a 4-3 he is sheltered behind the D-Line and free to flow to the ball. It's about speed, instincts and range. On the other hand, the 3-4 emphasises strength, hand quickness, and positioning. At this point of his career I think Lavar is more strong than fast. In the 3-4 he'd be free to rush the passer, would have to play in less space, would have easier assignments, and would actually have more freedom to freelance. I'd love to see him here.

By the way... He is one of the few Skin's players that I always rated fairly high. I do think he freelances and didn't mesh well with the Marvin lewis, Greg Williams' systems, but given the right role he can be a very good player.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Didn't read it, what it say. Give me the nutshell version. So is he still a good guy that got screwed or what.