Coach MM has 1 year left, will it be hard to find assistants?

quickccc

Reaction score
Like Dak, maybe Desai had nothing to work with. Got to give him all-pros at every position. :)
Seriously, no one was making chicken salad with that mess that was the Philly defense the second half of the year.

i don't see how Dak is a comparison to Eagles DC and defense

Dak DOES have something to work with, he has a elite WR, a great 2nd WR in the speedy Cooks,
an emerging TE in Ferguson, and a RB who was a Pro Bowler in '22, and two future HOF'ers on OL and
a rising one in Tyler Smith ,

Its coaching that has to place and scheme these players in best position to excel at their best
And coaching simply has not done that. - and it shows big come playoff time.

Poorly prepared playoff team.

Eagles defense was a strength under a different DC ,.. a huge disaster under a different DC.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not knowing if MM will be extended past this season, why would any smart coach want to come here and possibly be replaced by a new head coach, who will probably want his guys. Now there are times where that new coach may want to keep guys that are here, or in Dallas FORCED to keep certain coaches here. What are your thoughts on this?? Will it be hard for an assistant to really want to come here?
Did someone leave?

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
exactly why the GM is a moron, coaching is volatile enough, now you keep someone on a lame duck contract because you think that makes them coach better, with fewer coordinator options.
Reason 1,323,405 why this team structure will never win a damn thing\

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Yes and not that we’d sign any FA’s worth a damn but I doubt any want to come here not knowing our coaching situation beyond next season.

links18

Reaction score
Hard to find assistants? Not really. Hard to find assistants who can actually coach? Probably.

chuck520

Reaction score
it's a lame duck season, which means another failure in the playoffs (yep crystal ball this !) means both
HC (McCarthy) and most if not of his assistants could be gone ... as soon as Big Mac is assumed gone post playoffs.

What legit top assistant is gonna want that kind of insecurity - being on the edge on a one year rental ?
But here's something to ponder:

1) Hope is those possible candidates really believe they can be make a huge different - whether offensive
or defensive, that they will help put McCarthy over the big huddle,

2) We are the Cowboys, America's Team, and contrary to some opinions, we are still popular and highly valued
enuff for players, coaches to want to come here.

If the Jane Slater reports are true that even prestige, high regarded HC candidates such as Belichek, Harbaugh were interested in Cowboys HC job if there was an opening, what does that tell you about the Cowboys ?
Cowboys had the same thing in 2014 and they went 12-4 NFC East champs, first round playoff win

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Yes it will.
I agree, it will. Sure there will be options available, but I doubt that the better options will be interested in taking a position under a lame duck HC. Anything is possible I suppose, but I suspect a lame duck HC automatically places 2 strikes against a good hire.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Not knowing if MM will be extended past this season, why would any smart coach want to come here and possibly be replaced by a new head coach, who will probably want his guys. Now there are times where that new coach may want to keep guys that are here, or in Dallas FORCED to keep certain coaches here. What are your thoughts on this?? Will it be hard for an assistant to really want to come here?
I guess there's different ways to think about it. Some may see it as an opportunity, others if you're an upcoming coach may not want to take the chance. If you're an older retread coach looking for another opportunity you probably don't mind taking the chance.

js66

Reaction score
Was thinking this same thing today. Anyone good DC candidate with options is not coming here. Most of these experienced good coaches have wives and families. No one likes to pack up, pull your kids out of school and be moving all over the country any more than absolutely necessary.

I expect Quinn to leave for almost anywhere now, I expect him to take at least one staff member with him (Needs a DC obviously) and I would imagine there will be multiple others that want to leave for at least 2-3 years or more with Quinn, rather than stick it out here an hope we make a conference championship game or Superbowl to keep this staff together.

Swanny

Reaction score
Who do we need to replace?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Probably but it doesn't matter who we hire anyway. The real head coach is Jerry Jones and he's still learning on the job.
Yep since it's who Jerry wants to hire, not the HC.

We're toast until a real HC comes here and hires his own staff, which of course Jerry will never allow.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
Yep since it's who Jerry wants to hire, not the HC.

We're toast until a real HC comes here and hires his own staff, which of course Jerry will never allow.
Oof. Good point. We should actually HOPE we promote Whitt then because you just know Jerry, left to his devices, hires a dud

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not at all. All these coaches work for whoever offers them more money. There is no loyalty to a head coach like you might see in college football.

Londonboy

Reaction score
You could view it the other way.

I'm an ambitious young coach taking a coordinator job, if I impress but the team fails, I might get the big gig.