Coach threatened? Turley, Martz deny claim

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
ESPN.com news services

NFL Security has interviewed Rams coach Mike Martz and offensive tackle Kyle Turley about an incident during which Turley allegedly threatened to kill Martz, sources have told ESPN.

Martz and Turley allegedly engaged in a shouting match that culminated in Martz filing a report with NFL Security regarding the alleged death threat, sources said.

The argument began after Turley, who's on injured reserve after re-injuring his surgically repaired back early in training camp, heard that Martz questioned the tackle's dedication to rehabbing his injured back. Turley decided to confront his coach.

For his part, Turley denies having threatened Martz. And on Tuesday evening, Martz issued a written statement through his agent, Frank Bauer, denying the report of a confrontation with Turley. "This story is absurd. It is offensive to Kyle Turley and Mike Martz. There is no truth to this story."

Despite missing the entire season with back problems, Turley has said he wants to return for the 2005 season. The seven-year veteran, who has ruled out a second surgery to correct his back problem, has no plans for now of retiring.

"Wanting to play has never been an issue," Turley said earlier this month. "I've given everything to this sport and dedicated myself to this, I think, as much, or in some cases more so, than most people. That's been the goal from Day One, to get back. To get back on the field."

From the time his back began to flare up again early in training camp this summer, Turley insisted he would retire rather than face another surgery. He said doctors have apprised him that, with proper posture, increased core strength and additional flexibility, his back in time will compensate for the disc problem.

How long that process will take, however, is not certain. Turley's goal is to be in camp but that aim might not be a realistic one.

"But if it takes [until] the middle of next season, then so be it," he said. "Or if it takes even the year after that, I'm going to make it back. I'm 29 years old. There's time. I'm going to make it back and play in the league."

Information from ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli was used in this report.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
You know, I wouldn't mind giving up morgan and coakley for turley...