Coaching candidates ideas from the Fan

mardwin

Reaction score
I take the coach that won the super bowl with Denver, he was Mike Shanahan coordinator during the 90s which fits the scheme we are trying to run.

khiladi

Reaction score
Jesse Holley and company just looked at possible candidates to be the HC or OC/DC.

He first said that Jim Haurbagh is not coming here as he makes 9 million per year and is home.

He also said why would Jon Gruden leave the booth when he's making that much money etc. I don't think he would because he would have to face his brother twice per year.

The candidates.

Art Briles- Cavanaugh said we would take a PR hit, but no doubt the guy can coach. Said when he visited TC he helped install some of the RPO's with Dak (thought that was interesting).

James Franklin- They all 3 agreed this would be an excellent hire, Young and gifted.

Jimbo Fisher- they were all kind of meh on this candidate.

I think I could actually be excited about Briles and Franklin actually. Briles intrigues me.

He then added hot up and coming Coordinators.

Jim Bob Cooter- OC Detroit
Terrel Austin- DC Detroit
Mike Patricia- DC NE, (Cavanaugh things he is going to be really good because he has coached everything from Oline to Safety. Plus he has a super high IQ).

Anyway just thought I would share. I really like the idea of Briles and Franklin actually. Briles is a winner no matter where he's been. Franklin is young and exciting.

The final candidate....they were all for him. Said he wants out of Zona, Bruce Arians. Would take it tomorrow!

Jim Bob Cooter sounds perfect for a Texas team...

khiladi

Reaction score
You know...I think Garrett is worse than Jerry.

Jerry has obviously taken a step back. I think the team ‘s acquisition philosophy has a lot to do with Garrett(we used to draft defense early and often prior to Jason) but I think the actual picking of the players has more to do with McClay than Jerry.

I think this is a talented football team that is poorly coached.

Stephen has a lot of influence on personnel, though the final decision is Jerry...

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
You know...I think Garrett is worse than Jerry.

Jerry has obviously taken a step back. I think the team ‘s acquisition philosophy has a lot to do with Garrett(we used to draft defense early and often prior to Jason) but I think the actual picking of the players has more to do with McClay than Jerry.

I think this is a talented football team that is poorly coached.

Fair enough. So you credit Garret for the talent acquisition and blame him for coaching. I agree ..

my perfect scenario is move Garret up as GM and get a Jimmy-esque coach (Harbaugh my pick)

If with all this going on and the daily/weekly interviews on TV and radio, and over stepping the HC and make yourself the source of information instead of the coach, and opening your door wide open to the players to bypass the HC is a "step back" I think I want to ask Jerry to take 999,999 extra steps back

:cool:

kevm3

Reaction score
Obviously Harbaugh... but I don't think he'd come here. San Francisco went from being a team that made a superbowl appearance and almost won one to a dumpster dive team as soon as he left. Harbaugh had Kaep looking like a dangerous QB. Other than that, one of those innovative college coaches. Hard to say who I'd want off the top of my head. Maybe get Gary Patterson, and I'd take Art Briles if he didn't have all that controversy surrounding him. Urban Meyer?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hmmm..I'm not sure Patricias experience:

College coaching career
Patricia remained at RPI to begin his coaching career as a graduate assistant in 1996.[1] He spent the next two years as an application engineer with Hoffman Air & Filtration Systems in East Syracuse, New York.[2] Much sought-after in engineering circles, he received a $100,000-a-year offer to maintain nuclear submarines and aircraft carriers with the Westinghouse Electric Company,[3] but decided to return to football as the defensive line coach for Amherst College from 1999 to 2000. In 2001, he moved to Syracuse University as an offensive graduate assistant for the team, a position he held for three seasons.[4]

Professional coaching career[edit]
Patricia joined the Patriots under head coach Bill Belichick as an offensive coaching assistant in 2004. In 2005, upon the departure of assistant offensive line/tight ends coach Jeff Davidson, Patricia was reassigned as the Patriots' assistant offensive line coach. Then-linebackers coach Dean Pees was promoted to defensive coordinator after the season, prompting another reassignment for Patricia, this time to linebackers coach for the 2006 season. Patricia was named the team's safeties coach in 2011. In 2012, he was promoted to the title of defensive coordinator, despite having called plays on defense since the departure of Pees following the 2009season. He won Super Bowl XXXIX at the end of the 2004 season, Super Bowl XLIX with the Patriots at the end of the 2014 season, as well as Super Bowl LI at the end of the 2016 season. In January 2016, the Patriots gave permission for Patricia to interview for the head-coaching position of the Cleveland Browns. Patricia would remain with the Patriots as defensive coordinator going into the 2016 season. On February 5, 2017, Patricia won his third Super Bowl championship in Super Bowl LI. In the game, the Patriots defeated the Atlanta Falcons by a score of 34–28 in overtime.[5]

can stack up with Garretts:

2005-06: Quarterback coach for Miami Dolphins
2007-2010: OC for the Dallas Cowboys
2011 to present: Head coach of the Dallas Cowboys

Don't downplay the value of having numerous years of playing experience at the NFL level. Or the genius of Belichek - few of his assistants succeeded as HCs

SacredStar

Reaction score
If it happened, which it won't, but if Jerry brings in anyone it would be another puppet. Jerry doesn't want to share the spotlight. That's why Johnson and Parcells left. Jerry picks the assistants, Jerry picks the draft players, Jerry does the interviews after games.

Nothing will change until Jones dies, relinquishs power, or sells the team. He is just too selfish and too stubborn to see that he himself is the problem by not bringing in a real GM to run the show and let the coaches coach.

visionary

Reaction score
Hmmm..I'm not sure Patricias experience:

College coaching career
Patricia remained at RPI to begin his coaching career as a graduate assistant in 1996.[1] He spent the next two years as an application engineer with Hoffman Air & Filtration Systems in East Syracuse, New York.[2] Much sought-after in engineering circles, he received a $100,000-a-year offer to maintain nuclear submarines and aircraft carriers with the Westinghouse Electric Company,[3] but decided to return to football as the defensive line coach for Amherst College from 1999 to 2000. In 2001, he moved to Syracuse University as an offensive graduate assistant for the team, a position he held for three seasons.[4]

Professional coaching career[edit]
Patricia joined the Patriots under head coach Bill Belichick as an offensive coaching assistant in 2004. In 2005, upon the departure of assistant offensive line/tight ends coach Jeff Davidson, Patricia was reassigned as the Patriots' assistant offensive line coach. Then-linebackers coach Dean Pees was promoted to defensive coordinator after the season, prompting another reassignment for Patricia, this time to linebackers coach for the 2006 season. Patricia was named the team's safeties coach in 2011. In 2012, he was promoted to the title of defensive coordinator, despite having called plays on defense since the departure of Pees following the 2009season. He won Super Bowl XXXIX at the end of the 2004 season, Super Bowl XLIX with the Patriots at the end of the 2014 season, as well as Super Bowl LI at the end of the 2016 season. In January 2016, the Patriots gave permission for Patricia to interview for the head-coaching position of the Cleveland Browns. Patricia would remain with the Patriots as defensive coordinator going into the 2016 season. On February 5, 2017, Patricia won his third Super Bowl championship in Super Bowl LI. In the game, the Patriots defeated the Atlanta Falcons by a score of 34–28 in overtime.[5]

can stack up with Garretts:

2005-06: Quarterback coach for Miami Dolphins
2007-2010: OC for the Dallas Cowboys
2011 to present: Head coach of the Dallas Cowboys

Hire someone competent?
Crazy idea

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1. Harbaugh
2. McDaniels
3. Myer
4. David Shaw
5. Gruden

Silverstar

Reaction score
Just adding some current and former (Turner) NFL coaches out there.
Reich is only one that hasn't been a NFL HC already.

Norv Turner
Bill Callahan
Tony Sparano
Steve Spagnuolo
Ken Whisenhunt
Pat Shurmer
Jim Schwartz
Mike McCoy
Josh McDaniels
Frank Reich