Video: "Coin" E-card good idea?

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
This is blowing up, anyone especially who knows security on this kind of thing think it is safe?

Personally it looks like it can be hacked easily, I have heard CUDA core hacking that can hack through most security, little suspect.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Kinda cool idea, especially with the bluetooth feature that alerts you if you have forgotten it.

How practical though? "Here's my card, be sure to not press this button".

And how many cards does it take before a wallet is just entirely too cumbersome that you need something like this?

They just need to build it into phones so you don't have to carry any cards. You could have everything on your phone. ID, credit cards, and whatever else.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Kinda cool idea, especially with the bluetooth feature that alerts you if you have forgotten it.

How practical though? "Here's my card, be sure to not press this button".

And how many cards does it take before a wallet is just entirely too cumbersome that you need something like this?

They just need to build it into phones so you don't have to carry any cards. You could have everything on your phone. ID, credit cards, and whatever else.

I would think that it is just something simple like a slightly prolonged duration of the button press that locks in the selection.

All CC info on a smartphone would be a hacker's banquet.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I would think that it is just something simple like a slightly prolonged duration of the button press that locks in the selection.

All CC info on a smartphone would be a hacker's banquet.

Well that goes for everything.

This thing connects to your phone via bluetooth to tell you if you have left it behind. Not to mention you scan the cards into your phone to put them on the all-in-one card in the first place......picture of the card suggested. If order for that bluetooth feature to work bluetooth has to be functional at all times. I don't know how secure bluetooth is in terms of cracking it so maybe that's not a problem.

Google Wallet currently allows some phones to use their "tap to pay" feature and I'd put my bets on Google being able to implement safeguards against hackers just about as well as anyone.

Supposedly the thing has a 2 year battery-life so if you did get one you'd have to get another every 2 years until they improved on that.

I dunno. To me it kind of seems like a half-step towards what would make things convenient by not having a wallet at all. If you aren't getting rid of the wallet entirely, it just doesn't seem like something that I'd be personally interested in. Then again, I don't have so many cards that my wallet is uncomfortable to carry. I have a little half-wallet thing with a magnetic money clip on it and I'm not sure the width of my cards is adding a lot when compared to width of the wallet if it were empty.

It seems kind of like Blu-Ray to me. Better than the DVDs that came before it but with digital being far more convenient and looking every bit as good I just don't have much interest in Blu-Ray.

To each his own, I guess. I suppose if you had so many cards that you were burdened by a huge wallet it could be a decent way to cut things down.