Jay Cutler(ND) - ineffective
Michael Robinson(Pen State) 1 - 3 for 9 yards, 9 carries for 63 yards
Brodie Croyle(Alabama) - ineffective
D.J. Shockley(Georgia) - ineffective
Darrell Hackney(UAB) - ineffective
Reggie McNeal(Texas A&M) 9 - 11 for 211 yards, 2 TDs, 4 carries for 32 yards
Josh Betts(Miami of Ohio) 7 - 15 106 yards
Brad Smith(Missouri) 4 - 12 for 58 yards, 8 caries for (-)4 yards, fumble

The QBs in the "better" all-star game had better receivers, OL and RBs, as well as facing a better defense. The QBs in the "lesser" all-star game had drops from the WRs, poor OL play and faced less stiff defensive units.

How in the world can the Pen State QB and the Georgia QB be considered even 8th round QB prospects? Why is Brody Croyle better than Jason White?
Charlie Whitehurst may be Bernie Kosar reincarnated - that is a good thing. Brad Smith is Elle Roberson all over again. McNeal seems mobile and has a very strong arm while hitting receivers in stride.

Hailmary

Reaction score
If we go high w/ a QB (we won't, jmo), I'd still want Cutler, but McNeil is growing on me fast.

...and although Whitehurst may be able to find success in the NFL, I don't think he's a fit for us. I think he needs to land somewhere that utilizes a lot of short to intermediate routes in order to find success.

I still think Henson's just as good as these guys (if not better - physically) and he's had 2 yrs watching film. I'm hoping he shows something in Europe and is given an opportunity in 2007. Will it happen? Probably not.

TEK2000

Reaction score
Here's actual stats for all the Senior Bowl QB's...

North, Whitehurst 7-9-0-90, Cutler 6-19-1-69, Robinson 1-3-0-9.
South, Croyle 6-11-1-77, Shockley 2-7-1-13, Hackney 3-6-0-42.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Cutler is from Vanderbilt not Notre Dame.

And there is no such thing as 8th rounders

BigWillie

Reaction score
Who really cares how these QB's perform?

Zero blitzing (except from the MLB and on short yardage situations) and the defense is only allowed to play cover 3 and man.

Highly doubtful in a game like that it will be indicative of how they perform in the NFL.

PrimeTime22

Reaction score
DanTanna said:
How in the world can the Pen State QB and the Georgia QB be considered even 8th round QB prospects?

There's almost no way Robinson could get a shot at QB, he's got a weak and inaccurate arm. He'll probably be a late day 2 selection like Jammal Lord was a few years back.

Shockley looks like a 5-7 round choice to me because potential seems so important to GMs nowadays. He has a strong arm but needs work on mechanics and reading coverage, and only having one year as a starter doesn't help him. He wasn't anywhere near as bad as he was during senior bowl week during the college season. In fact, he was very good at times IMO:

20-33 277 yds 3 TDs against WVU in the bowl game
20-35 304 yds 2 TDs against Auburn

Vick got a shot to become a better passer, I don't see why Shockley won't get one too. He's clearly a strictly developmental QB right now.

DanTanna said:
Why is Brody Croyle better than Jason White?

Croyle has a much stronger arm, but he does have knee health problems like White did. His knees aren't as bad as White's were, but they've got to be a concern.

TEK2000

Reaction score
BigWillie said:
Who really cares how these QB's perform?

Zero blitzing (except from the MLB and on short yardage situations) and the defense is only allowed to play cover 3 and man.

Highly doubtful in a game like that it will be indicative of how they perform in the NFL.

Plus the fact that they haven't had time to develop any chemistry with the recievers.

kartr

Reaction score
PrimeTime22 said:
There's almost no way Robinson could get a shot at QB, he's got a weak and inaccurate arm. He'll probably be a late day 2 selection like Jammal Lord was a few years back.

Shockley looks like a 5-7 round choice to me because potential seems so important to GMs nowadays. He has a strong arm but needs work on mechanics and reading coverage, and only having one year as a starter doesn't help him. He wasn't anywhere near as bad as he was during senior bowl week during the college season. In fact, he was very good at times IMO:

20-33 277 yds 3 TDs against WVU in the bowl game
20-35 304 yds 2 TDs against Auburn

Vick got a shot to become a better passer, I don't see why Shockley won't get one too. He's clearly a strictly developmental QB right now.

Croyle has a much stronger arm, but he does have knee health problems like White did. His knees aren't as bad as White's were, but they've got to be a concern.

All of these qb's had just one week to prepare for this game. I don't see how anyone other than Mel Kiper can base a career on one game for qb's playing in these circumstances. Michael Robinson looked much better playing at Penn State in his own offense and with his own receivers and so did Shockley.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
kartr said:
All of these qb's had just one week to prepare for this game. I don't see how anyone other than Mel Kiper can base a career on one game for qb's playing in these circumstances. Michael Robinson looked much better playing at Penn State in his own offense and with his own receivers and so did Shockley.

and in the end end it doesnt matter, because niether of those guys has a shred of a chance at being an NFL QB

David

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
kartr said:

And neither will be much more than developmental QBs in the NFL.

But I can see why you appear to like Shockley. He must remind you of another failed UGA product.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Alexander said:
And neither will be much more than developmental QBs in the NFL.

But I can see why you appear to like Shockley. He must remind you of another failed UGA product.

:lmao2:

David

ps--they do have alot of similarities, although I dont think Shockley has the dope issues

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
I saw a lot of UGA football this year as they are always on TV around here, and to say that Shockley doesnt stand a chance as an NFL qb because he struggled during an all-star week is completely ********. He was the best QB in the SEC this year, set the UGA record for TDs in a season, and has a pretty strong arm and doesn't make that many bad decisions (I believe he had something like 5 ints all year) His accuracy obviously isn't up to par with the round 1/2 guys, but he did sit the bench for 4 years. Definitely a developmental guy, but he does have the tools. Just lacks the game experience. Good pick for the 4th or so. Wouldnt be shocked if he moved up in workouts/combine to round 3, depending on what teams will be in need of QBs. Robinson i have no opinion of since I didn't see a single Penn St. game this year. Hackney I think is too small, Croyle and Whitehurst are maybe round 2 worthy but im not so sure. Cutler everyone seems to love, although I don't know why. He's not THE TRUTH or anything at the QB position, just seems so-so to me as far as FIRST rounders go. Maybe a late 1st rounder. Really, this is a weak QB draft. Big time names in Leinart and Young, but recent early 1st round QBs seem to be more talented/polished than the bunch in this draft.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Don't read too much into the games. The rules and the game plans are so rudimentary that it renders the actual games useless for intents and purposes. Most of the scouts go home Friday after the practices and don't even bother with the game. The entire Senior Bowl has become overblown, in and of itself.