College football 17’s most freakish athletes

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Click on link for full article and breakdown of each player…

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000817998?campaign=tw-cf-sf94451760-sf94451760&sf94451760=1

17. Derrius Guice, RB, LSU

16. Jordan Williams, LB, East Carolina

15. Braden Smith, T, Auburn

14. Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson

13. Da’Ron Payne, DT, Alabama

12. Ed Oliver, DT, Houston * not 2018 Draft eligible

11. Tony Brown, DB, Alabama

10. Brandon Bryant, S, Mississippi State

9. Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona State

8. Porter Gustin, LB, USC

7. Darius Anderson, RB, TCU * not 2018 Draft eligible

6. Saquan Barkley, RB, Penn State

5. Derwin James, S, Florida State

4. Vita Vea, DT, Washington

3. Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisvulle

2. Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan * not 2018 Draft eligible

1. Christian Wilkins, DL, Clemson

waving monkey

Reaction score
I know were not going after a DT in the first round but good god some of these freaks speed /agility
is amazing.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Dexter Lawrence is not draft eligible either. Clemson has been killing it on D Line for recruiting and development for a few years now. IMO their best D-Lineman isn't even on that list.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Dexter Lawrence is not draft eligible either. Clemson has been killing it on D Line for recruiting and development for a few years now. IMO their best D-Lineman isn't even on that list.
Yep, I missed that. Their defensive line is ridiculous; this list didn't include one of my top 2017 guys, Clelin Ferrell.

I would trade our D line for Clemson's right now.

DFWJC

Reaction score
His accuracy is horrific, and he is definitely a one read QB.
Yeah, in a loaded QB class, marking big improvement in that area, he's down the list a bit.
I was just talking about what the thread topic was discussing--pure athleticism.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I'd look at Porter Gustin, LB, USC

Derwin James, S, Florida State

if we even get a shot at them

I played football w/ his dad...The kid has got the genes.....From what I'm hearing 4.5 speed...Some teams may see Joey Bosa. Heard that's what Meyers wanted to do w/ him@ Ohio St. I think he's still gonna keep growing like his dad. His dad didn't really fit out until he was 25. Think freakish JJ Watt. Plus I hear he loves the weight room.;)

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I played football w/ his dad...The kid has got the genes.....From what I'm hearing 4.5 speed...Some teams may see Joey Bosa. Heard that's what Meyers wanted to do w/ him@ Ohio St. I think he's still gonna keep growing like his dad. His dad didn't really fit out until he was 25. Think freakish JJ Watt. Plus I hear he loves the weight room.;)
Porter is a Utah kid right?

I was talking to former NFL LB Ricky Brown 3 years ago, who was a GA at USC then, and he couldn't stop talking about Porter Gustin, Cameron Smith, and Osa Masina (who got into some legal issues). He was extremely high on Gustin.

I think Gustin could be that SAM/3rd down End that some of us have been talking about the last few years, the famous "Otto" position.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Tony Brown would be an elite corner in college and in the NFL, but he has issues. This guy should have started ahead of Marlon Humphrey, but he couldn't put it together. Just bizarre.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Porter is a Utah kid right?

I was talking to former NFL LB Ricky Brown 3 years ago, who was a GA at USC then, and he couldn't stop talking about Porter Gustin, Cameron Smith, and Osa Masina (who got into some legal issues). He was extremely high on Gustin.

I think Gustin could be that SAM/3rd down End that some of us have been talking about the last few years, the famous "Otto" position.

Honestly...His Dad....John was my high school QB. He played ball @ Wyoming. John was about 6'6 played hoops. Could have played college ball in either sport. Good Athlete....And his mom was a great hoops player here in Meridian, Idaho...too and she was like 6'1. So I really don't think he's done growing.

And yeah...I think John settled down in Utah finally. I'm better friends w/ his sisters husband....and he's been the one giving me all the updates. Pays to have friends in low places. And from all the pics I've seen Porter lives in the weight room. He's gonna get bigger and fill out eventually...hence why I'm thinking more in the lines of JJ Watt.

Last edited:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Gustin wakes up every day at 3:30 a.m. just so he can guzzle down a protein shake before going back to sleep for a few more winks. Then, he gets up again at 4:30 a.m. to get his body right for dawn workouts. That dedication has certainly paid off. The 6’5” Gustin, who arrived at USC weighing around 235 pounds, is up to 260. He can bench press 475 pounds and squat 575. His vertical jump is 35 inches and Lewis told me the Utah native runs the 40 at about 4.6. He’s coming off a strong 2016 season when he led USC with 13 tackles for loss and ranked second on the team with 68 tackles. Lewis said the biggest area where Gustin has made gains this off-season is increasing his flexibility, which only figures to make the guy an even bigger force rushing the passer this season. Better still for the Trojans, Gustin’s zeal for the weight room and hanging around after his workout to do extra core work and flexibility has carried over to teammates, Lewis says.

Carson

Reaction score
Expect rumors of Gustin being a roider to come out before the draft. Same thing happened to Matthews, Cushing and others.

You blame them? The kid is a freak of nature!!!

Still a freshman, but DE Chase Young of Ohio State ... I had to do a double take

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Click on link for full article and breakdown of each player…

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000817998?campaign=tw-cf-sf94451760-sf94451760&sf94451760=1

17. Derrius Guice, RB, LSU

16. Jordan Williams, LB, East Carolina

15. Braden Smith, T, Auburn

14. Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson

13. Da’Ron Payne, DT, Alabama

12. Ed Oliver, DT, Houston * not 2018 Draft eligible

11. Tony Brown, DB, Alabama

10. Brandon Bryant, S, Mississippi State

9. Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona State

8. Porter Gustin, LB, USC

7. Darius Anderson, RB, TCU * not 2018 Draft eligible

6. Saquan Barkley, RB, Penn State

5. Derwin James, S, Florida State

4. Vita Vea, DT, Washington

3. Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisvulle

2. Rashan Gary, DE, Michigan * not 2018 Draft eligible

1. Christian Wilkins, DL, Clemson

They even used Wilkins as a RB an receiver. He lives in the other teams backfield.