College football news Mock Draft

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Mock Draft: Bush goes No. 1
function BlogThisStoryTools() { var headline = "Mock Draft: Bush goes No. 1"; var url = document.location.href; var destination = "http://blogs.foxsports.com/BlogThis.aspx?r_title=" + escape(headline) + "&r_url=" + url; //alert(destination); //return; window.location.href = destination; } Story Tools: XML Print Email Blog This
Pete Fiutak / CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted: 2 hours ago // front-end hack to remove postedTime from Rumors page until a better way can be determined if (document.URL.indexOf("/name/FS/rumors") != -1) document.getElementById("postedTime").style.display = 'none';
if(fanid.length > 0 && typeof(nflDefaultLeague)!= "undefined") { leagueId = nflDefaultLeague; //find teamId of default league (if exists) for(var i=0; i < teamsInfo.length; i++){ if(teamsInfo[4] == leagueId){ defaultTeamId = teamsInfo[0]; } } var fantasyLeaguePlayerJsPath = 'http://msnfantasy.foxsports.com' + '/nugget/200002_' + leagueId + '|||' + fanid; } It might be silly to speculate so early, but it's still fun. Here's an early Fearless Prediction of the first round of the 2006 NFL Draft.

1. Houston Texans - Reggie Bush, RB USC
New head coach Gary Kubiak was interested in Vince Young, but the management still believes in David Carr. The two sides have agreed to a contract extension making Bush to the Texans almost a foregone conclusion. The USC speed-burner gives the Texans the best chance to improve right now.
2. New Orleans Saints - Matt Leinart, QB USC
This is a franchise in need of stability and a sure-thing. Leinart provides both.
5234446_36_3.jpg
It'd be cool to play in his hometown of Houston, but Tennessee might be a perfect fit for Vince Young. (Lisa Blumenfeld / Getty Images)3. Tennessee Titans - Vince Young, QB Texas
The situation is almost too perfect. His mentor Steve McNair comes back for one more year giving offensive coordinator Norm Chow a season to work on Young's mechanics. New Orleans is going to think long and hard about the possibilities of taking the Longhorn star.
4. New York Jets - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT Virginia
They desperately want a young, non-Chad Pennington quarterback to build around, but the big two won't slide. Expect this to be the hot spot for trade talks.
5. Green Bay Packers - LenDale White, RB USC
Do you honestly believe the Packers are going to pin the hopes of their running game on Sam Gado? DeAngelo Williams will be tempting, but White provides more power.
6. Oakland Raiders - Mario Williams, DE NC State
Al Davis would love to take A.J. Hawk here, but Williams will be far too good to pass up.
7. San Francisco 49ers - Michael Huff, DB Texas
Huff solves a lot of problems for the porous Niner secondary. He'll start out at cornerback out of need, but he'll eventually be a star at safety.
8. Buffalo Bills - A.J. Hawk, LB Ohio State
His combine numbers will be off the charts and might even end up in the top five. Buffalo won't stay here. It needs offensive line help and will move down to get it.
9. Detroit Lions - Jay Cutler, QB Vanderbilt
Joey Harrington might become a Jet. Detroit needs someone to get the ball to all the great receiving talent, and while Cutler might not be anything special, he's an upgrade over the current situation.
10. Arizona Cardinals - Laurence Maroney, RB Minnesota
Like Buffalo, don't be shocked if Arizona trades down to load up on offensive linemen, or tries to move up to get Ferguson. J.J. Arrington and Marcel Shipp aren't the answer for the running game so Maroney, Williams, or if available, White, is the need pick. If Cutler falls, he's going here.
11. St. Louis Rams - Chad Greenway, LB Iowa
Greenway will be way too strong a prospect after the combines to fall any further.
12. Cleveland Browns - Haloti Ngata, DT Oregon
While not a need pick, head coach Romeo Crenel and his staff would love to have the best tackle in the draft fall this far. Wait and see how Kellen Winslow is progressing; Maryland's Vernon Davis might be a need pick.
13. Baltimore Ravens - DeAngelo Williams, RB Memphis
Will combine with Mark Clayton and Todd Heap to give Kyle Boller a fearsome array of weapons. Maroney and White could go here.
14. Philadelphia Eagles - Jimmy Williams, CB/S Virginia Tech
The Eagles will like Williams' versatility in the secondary, but will eventually groom him for safety.
15. Atlanta Falcons - Winston Justice, OT USC
Not a need, but the athletic tackle will have a hard time falling out of the top 15.
16. Miami Dolphins - Mathias Kiwanuka, DE Boston College
The possibilities of a pass-rushing tandem of Jason Taylor and Kiwanuka, even though he needs work, will be too fantastic to pass up.
17. Minnesota Vikings - Vernon Davis, TE Maryland
The Vikings need more offensive weapons to help start putting points back on the board.
18. Dallas Cowboys - Santonio Holmes, WR Ohio State
In a horrible draft for receivers, Holmes will stand out. Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn are getting old.
19. San Diego Chargers - Brodrick Bunkley, DT Florida State
Paired with Shawne Merriman, San Diego will have the makings of a scary good young line.
20. Kansas City Chiefs - Kamerion Wimbley, DE Florida State
The Chiefs need a receiver, but there won't be a worthy one available. More defensive playmakers are always needed around KC.
21. New England Patriots - Tamba Hali, DE Penn State
His stock shot up even more after Senior Bowl week. The Patriots could stand to get a little younger up front.
22. Denver Broncos (from Washington) - Chad Jackson, WR Florida
Rod Smith doesn't have too much longer to go and Ashley Lelie can't seem to become a true No. 1.
23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Eric Winston, OT Miami (FL)
While he's not a sure-thing, he's a need pick for the Bucs.
24. Cincinnati Bengals - Marcedes Lewis, TE UCLA
USC's Dominique Byrd could go here to give fellow Trojan Carson Palmer another great weapon. Cincinnati badly needs a tight end.
25. New York Giants - DeMeco Ryans, LB Alabama
He fits. He's a rock solid prospect with great leadership skills.
26. Chicago Bears - Tye Hill, CB Clemson
The Bears would love to move Charles Tillman to safety. Steve Smith and Carolina showed how much the Bears need a shut-down corner.
27. Carolina Panthers - Dominique Byrd, TE USC
After impressing the scouts, Byrd is sure to go somewhere late in round one. Carolina could use another weapon to take the heat off Steve Smith.
28. Jacksonville Jaguars - John McCargo, DT NC State
Jacksonville needs more strength up front and could go McCargo, LSU Claude Wroten, or Miami's Orien Harris.
29. Denver Broncos - Leonard Pope, TE Georgia
After going after a wide receiver with its first pick, Denver will get a big, young tight end who doesn't necessarily fit its style, but will be too intriguing to pass up.
30. Indianapolis Colts - Derek Hagan, WR Arizona State
The Colts will re-sign Reggie Wayne, and although Hagan was mediocre in Senior Bowl practices, he provides a good young prospect for Peyton Manning to work with.
31. Seattle Seahawks - Thomas Howard, LB UTEP
A physical freak of nature, Howard allows the Seattle coaching staff a lot of flexibility providing more size to the linebacking corps.
32. Pittsburgh Steelers - Ernie Sims, LB Florida State
A corner like Ashton Youboty or Kelly Jennings would be nice, but you can never have too many speedy linebackers in the 3-4. Sims will run too well to fall out of the first round.
For more previews, predictions and prognostications, go to the CollegeFootballNews.com.

ghst187

Reaction score
i think Santonio Holmes would be a fantastic pick but I think we need Carpenter. Holmes is a better value at 18 but we'd need to move down to pick Carpenter IMO, which would probably be a great move anyway.
I like Moss in the late second or third about as much as Holmes anyway.
Still love Lawson a lot too, but might take some moving around to end up with him also.
Value-wise, Holmes is a legit mid-round first, Carpenter is a very late first to early second, Lawson is a early to mid second, Moss is a mid to late second, as is Stovall. Those are the guys I'm looking at if I'm running our draft board.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
Value-wise, Holmes is a legit mid-round first, Carpenter is a very late first to early second, Lawson is a early to mid second, Moss is a mid to late second, as is Stovall. Those are the guys I'm looking at if I'm running our draft board.

It's interesting that they don't have Carpenter in the first round. And most have him as a late 1st rounder, which is why I don't want to take him 18th.

Like you said, if we moved down and got him while gaining another pick that would be a great move.

I also like Moss and Stovall in the 2nd.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
So where is Nick Mangold projected. Has he not made it to first round yet. If we could get Holmes in the first and Mangold in the 2nd that would be good too - so long as we get him, if we aren't getting Bentley during FA.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
They don't even have the WR from Ohio State in the first round????

Woods

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
They don't even have the WR from Ohio State in the first round????

Isn't that S. Holmes?

They have us taking him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Woods said:
Isn't that S. Holmes?

They have us taking him.

I"d hate that pick. Don't mind the player so much but I would rather we took something other then WR first.

Woods

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I"d hate that pick. Don't mind the player so much but I would rather we took something other then WR first.

I think the "right" trade may end up being trading down in the 1st round and still getting a solid contributor (i.e., Gilles, Simpson, Carpenter, etc., etc.)

Not sure if we would get a partner to do the trade, though. There doesn't seem much of a difference between picks 18 and picks 24-26, for example.

But maybe we get really lucky and someone we could use drops to us at 18? I see this as the more likely scenario.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
I just don't buy that both LenDale White and Maroney are going to go ahead of DeAngelo Williams. I'm also not going to buy SF drafting Huff. SF is in desperate need of a running back. They will be taking one with their first pick (and I'm betting it is DeAngelo Williams).

I also don't see the Lions taking Cutler. They have gone WR/Offense too much. They will be going Defense with their first pick. They will ride Garcia for one more year (or get a Free Agent QB like Kitna or Brees), and will draft their QB in later rounds or next year. Cutler goes either at #10 to Arizona or #13 to Baltimore.

I also don't think the Eagles go secondary... they already have a decent one. But they are in need of WR. I think they will take Santonio Holmes with their pick to pair with Reggie Brown to give McNabb his corps for the future.

More Comments:
- Colts don't go WR. They will be keeping Wayne and Harrison with Stokley as their #3. No way they go WR in Round 1.
- Howard won't go in Round 1.
- I am glad that S. Moss isn't listed in Round 1. I think he is being over-valued because of his name and size. He's a trendy pick because of the typical NFL mindset of "I got to get me one of those" that pigenholes people based on size and skill sets. But he isn't a #1 pick based on his college numbers.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
No way Wimbley is a first rounder and possibly not even a 2nd ahead of Lawson. Jackson is a second in my book, and I would not take Holmes there unless he's taking over for Keyshawn or Glenn.

We need starters if we're going to make a run for the SuperBowl this year.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
No way Wimbley is a first rounder and possibly not even a 2nd ahead of Lawson. Jackson is a second in my book, and I would not take Holmes there unless he's taking over for Keyshawn or Glenn.

We need starters if we're going to make a run for the SuperBowl this year.
So you want to spend FA dollars on a WR in the near future? WR's take a while to adjust to the league usually. Frankly, I think we have to address WR in some fashion soon, we have older WR's, one of which has a track record of injuries. Not a good combo.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Derinyar said:
So you want to spend FA dollars on a WR in the near future? WR's take a while to adjust to the league usually. Frankly, I think we have to address WR in some fashion soon, we have older WR's, one of which has a track record of injuries. Not a good combo.
Then I go Sinorice or Chad Jackson in the second.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:

I agree, don't we have greater concerns? But, we are getting old at that position.