College players getting paid

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
My goodness......they better get control of this. It's not hard to see where it's headed. Imagine a kid getting a multi-million dollar offer to transfer and not being worth a darn thing by he's drafted coz he's already made a ton of money. Not just that, but imagine being his college coach or how you make him go to classes. I understand these kids deserved to be paid, but if it was me, there would max cap of 20-25K. That's plenty enough, considering all their expenses are already paid.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
My goodness......they better get control of this. It's not hard to see where it's headed. Imagine a kid getting a multi-million dollar offer to transfer and not being worth a darn thing by he's drafted coz he's already made a ton of money. Not just that, but imagine being his college coach or how you make him go to classes. I understand these kids deserved to be paid, but if it was me, there would max cap of 20-25K. That's plenty enough, considering all their expenses are already paid.

"Imagine a kid getting a multi-million dollar offer to transfer and not being worth a darn thing by he's drafted coz he's already made a ton of money."

I've read this 2-3 times and can figure out what you're trying to say here?

Why would a college coach have to make him go to classes? NIL deal or not, if he's flunking out of classes (or not even attending) he will eventually be academically disqualified. I was also imagine these NIL deals have clauses in them too.

Insomniac

Reaction score
"Imagine a kid getting a multi-million dollar offer to transfer and not being worth a darn thing by he's drafted coz he's already made a ton of money."

I've read this 2-3 times and can figure out what you're trying to say here?

Why would a college coach have to make him go to classes? NIL deal or not, if he's flunking out of classes (or not even attending) he will eventually be academically disqualified. I was also imagine these NIL deals have clauses in them too.

Can you remember the last player at one of the big-time college programs couldn't play due to poor grades? It's probably happened but I'd bet those players were poor performers on the field. Most of the big programs have a number of players majoring in staying eligible by taking "basket weaving" type courses. There's also plenty of players who really want to and do use their scholarships to get a real education.

It's not like there aren't and haven't been plenty of players getting paid under the table since - forever. Also it's hard to believe that many college players will get big paydays. Maybe some QBs playing in big markets (QBs at USC?) but I doubt any non-pro prospect lineman in small market power 5 schools will be getting much.

Bigdog

Reaction score
If the kid doesn’t go to class and keep his grades up, he would flunk out and can’t play. If he doesn’t play he doesn’t get paid unless their NIL contract is paid upfront. They do have to get a handle on this. It is not only effecting mens sports but also women’s sports. Fresno St lost their star basketball players when twin girls left to go play for Miami their senior year.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Can you remember the last player at one of the big-time college programs couldn't play due to poor grades? It's probably happened but I'd bet those players were poor performers on the field. Most of the big programs have a number of players majoring in staying eligible by taking "basket weaving" type courses. There's also plenty of players who really want to and do use their scholarships to get a real education.

It's not like there aren't and haven't been plenty of players getting paid under the table since - forever. Also it's hard to believe that many college players will get big paydays. Maybe some QBs playing in big markets (QBs at USC?) but I doubt any non-pro prospect lineman in small market power 5 schools will be getting much.

Yeah, there’s dozens of examples.

I found this off a 3-second google search: https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/sy...ege-football-players-for-2015-season.amp.html

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It'll all sort itself out.
These kids are getting a string of one-year deals via NIL and good for them as the most won't make any money going pro.
But there is a lot of bad money being spent on kids who can't or wont really help the teams they signed to.
And as that occurs people become a lot less likely to keep funding the programs.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Deion nails it......within 3-5 years, it will destroy college football. Coaches/colleges will have no control. We are already hearing more players in the transfer portal over the last year than the previous 3-4 years alone.

I still think its best there's a cap or pay ALL athletes the same amount......

Deion Sanders has an issue with the way money earned under the NCAA's new name, image, and likeness rules is causing some athletes to act.

The Jackson State football coach tagged the NCAA in a Twitter post Wednesday with a one-minute video explaining his position on the subject.

"When you start paying athletes like they're professionals, you get athletes acting like they're professionals," Sanders said. "And you don't have staffs large enough and equipped enough to handle a young man with money. Let me go deeper. Handle a young man that's making more money than some of the coaches on staff."

Last edited:

Hardline

Reaction score
College players shouldn't be getting paid at all.
Their payment is in the form of a scholarship.
If you pay college players then eliminate scholarships .

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Deion nails it......within 3-5 years, it will destroy college football. Coaches/colleges will have no control. We are already hearing more players in the transfer portal over the last year than the previous 3-4 years alone.

Deion Sanders has an issue with the way money earned under the NCAA's new name, image, and likeness rules is causing some athletes to act.

The Jackson State football coach tagged the NCAA in a Twitter post Wednesday with a one-minute video explaining his position on the subject.

"When you start paying athletes like they're professionals, you get athletes acting like they're professionals," Sanders said. "And you don't have staffs large enough and equipped enough to handle a young man with money. Let me go deeper. Handle a young man that's making more money than some of the coaches on staff."

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Be very careful what you wish for.
The scholarship is the last bastion of control a school has over a player.
You remove that and kids become free agents week to week not year to year.

And not close to every kid is on NIL.
The vast majority of student athletes are living one gas tank at a time and eating in dining halls.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

FWIW, Deion is angling here for colleges to hire more coaches with money. That's it.
He's angling for them to hire NFL players that retire.
It is all very biased stuff as one will find with Deion.
Love him or hate him he always has an angle

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
No way in hell you're convincing me this is good for college football. THIS kid is damaged before he reaches NFL IMO.

Report: Class of 2023 Football Recruit Signed NIL Deal Potentially Worth Over $8 Million

A class of 2023 five-star football recruit has reportedly signed a name, image and likeness deal with a school’s collective that could be worth more than $8 million by the end of junior year of college, according to __________

This is believed to be the largest NIL deal by a non-professional athlete.

Per the report, the unnamed rising star would be paid $350,000 “almost immediately” and then receive monthly payments that would increase to more than $2 million a year when the athlete is on campus. In exchange, he will make public appearances and play a role in social media promotions as well as participate in other NIL activities.

According to The Athletic, this athlete has not signed a letter of intent with the school yet, and despite the multimillion dollar deal, the individual is not bound to sign one. The attorney who drafted the deal told the outlet, “There’s an element of trust there.”

NIL deals have continued to grow across the country, and, per The Athletic, the NCAA Board of Directors asked the Division I council last month to create a report about NIL’s impact on recruiting, as well as other topics.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yep, I'm surprised the NFL hasn't stepped in with some ideas , since it is their talent pipeline being affected. But it is hard to argue that an adult should have a cap on earnings related to their image and likeness. The NCAA has only itself to blame for this backlash after years of uber petty enforcement of draconian rules. Things like Manziel earning some side cash for signing autographs should never have triggered investigations. I remember stories of players going hungry b/c the cafeteria closed at 7 and they had no money for food. It got as absurd as players not being able to earn money working summer camps. Even now the NCAA is doing dumb stuff. There is an investigation of Memphis coach Penny Hardaway b/c he paid for a kids family to move in high school BEFORE he was ever employed by the university. He was an AAU coach with sponsors and he did something nice. The violation was that as a university donor, he was bound by rules preventing him from doing anything that could be construed as recruiting.

The universities are bound by title 9, so they will never be able to flat out bid on a football or basketball players without spending the same money on womens sports. All the action will be between individuals negotiating with sponsors outside the bounds of the university.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The universities are not directly paying them. The question was do the schools have the right to tell them that they can't make money on their image and likeness outside of school. The courts ruled in favor of the players, and it is completely fair. If you were a computer science major on an academic scholarship, the school doesn't care if you take a paying summer gig with Apple or earn money on the side using your computer skills. Why should they care if a basketball player does a paid promo for a car dealership?

The schools have to be very careful with title 9 requirements of gender equity. They can't pay football and basketball players without also paying the same money to women's sports.

Hardline

Reaction score
The universities are not directly paying them. The question was do the schools have the right to tell them that they can't make money on their image and likeness outside of school. The courts ruled in favor of the players, and it is completely fair. If you were a computer science major on an academic scholarship, the school doesn't care if you take a paying summer gig with Apple or earn money on the side using your computer skills. Why should they care if a basketball player does a paid promo for a car dealership?

The schools have to be very careful with title 9 requirements of gender equity. They can't pay football and basketball players without also paying the same money to women's sports.
There is no longer gender equality in college sports. Biological males can compete against women.
Unfortunately Title 9 has lost its purpose

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Here we go! It's started ..........raise your if you DON'T think Deion will respond. That's what I thought .......trust me this just getting started. It will get ugly, like real ugly before its all said and done.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no longer gender equality in college sports. Biological males can compete against women.
Unfortunately Title 9 has lost its purpose

But its still the law. I guess if half the football team starts identifying as women it could work circumventing it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here we go! It's started ..........raise your if you DON'T think Deion will respond. That's what I thought .......trust me this just getting started. It will get ugly, like real ugly before its all said and done.

Nick is absolutely correct. But, he is not accusing anyone of breaking any rules. His criticism is of the system. There is no difference between schools directing and setting up NIL deals and paying them. All he is saying is that Alabama might have to start playing the game this way if the NCAA can't come up with fair guidelines that apply to everyone.

rags

Reaction score
Saban better keep his mouth shut. The NCAA might start looking around at his books next.