College Playoff System

The Duke

Reaction score
Sorry for this long rambling but I am hurting! Every year I agonize over this ridiculous stupid bowl system and rankings.

I am a true sports fan and to settle championships any way like voting other than playing it on the field makes me sick. The madness needs to stop.

In no particular order, the problem is...

1. Vote. A vote determines the winner. Read this forum to know that with opinions...everybody's got one. Never perfect even if its a consensus.

2. Lay-off. This gets me the most. OU is not that much worse than USC and Cal to TTech. To lay off 4-6 weeks and then try to determine a champion. Nuts! Timing is off in all areas of the game. I'm an ex-QB and to think that you can not a play a game in a month then play one that determines a championship is laughable. Keep reminding yourself that these are 18-23 year olds with time on their hands in a big city (think college road trip for non-athletes). Now do you wonder why each year there is a Cal losing to a much weaker team.

3. Match-Ups. Why can't they at least pair up the best match-ups as a consolation to fans (and maybe rotate it like the championship game). Do you know how sickening it is to watch a #3 play #9 or #4 play (unsure) #20 something and #6 play #20 something. I wanted to at least see #3 Auburn play #4 Texas, #5 Cal vs. #6 Utah. Give me this much at least. I don't care if Tech won or Mich. - see 2. lay off

4. Best team? We have never EVER known who the best team is. I know the responses I will get, but all you have to do is look at the history of all sports to know that underdogs can win. You play it on the field. How many times did a team with a 1 loss in the season could have beat the consensus #1? TTexas beat Cal - play it on the field. I got it. Miami with Jimmy Johnson went for 2 at Notre Dame and lost. What if that 1 loss Miami team could have replayed Notre Dame?

5. +1 idea stinks. They are suggesting that they play Auburn and USC in one final game to decide it. Last year it would have been LSU vs. USC. Better BUT that screws Utah (Undefeated). Once again, there are teams that start every season with NO CHANCE at all to be #1. Pedigree matters in voting. +1 still leaves out the 1 loss teams.

Close your eyes and imagine....

The NFL season just ended. Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia in the Super Bowl. Nobody else gets a chance. No playoffs. Oh by the way, the season ended January 2 and the Super Bowl still plays February 2.

Also, New England plays Dallas. Green Bay vs. Baltimore. San Diego vs. Washington. etc....

This scenario is how agonizing college football is.

Lastly, Tubberville of Auburn...I'm for +1 and not 8 or 16 playoff because then it is just a contest of who can survive.

Some people don't get it. Then, EVERY sport from High School to every other college sport to pros NFL/NBA/NHL is just a contest to see who can survive. Everybody's wrong then...playing it on the field and "surviving" 3-4 top competitions in consecutive weeks is a waste of time and not a true champ, voting, a looong lay off, and mismatches are the way to go.

Tradition and GREED. America is about money and easier/securer jobs for the ones that makes the decisions (in this case Univ. presidents, ADs, and Head Coaches). Greed - Sports are about money and the playoffs can be worked to be even more profitable. What would TV money be for 8 playoff games. Sports are suppose to be different in one sacred respect...decide whose better on the field... "that's why you play." Tradition - asks some churches why they do certain strange things and they don't know why...because tradition (example: Ask some churches why they do certain minor things only that way when they make no sense...tradition. Tradition is an albatros around the neck of college football.

Can you even imagine at the end of the NFL season for Pittsburgh and Philadelphia

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes there needs to be a playoff in the NCAA...just like they have in the lower divisions.

Irks me to no end that the fat cats won't make it happen...it would seem they would actually make more money if they did IMO.

BTW...about philly and pittsburgh going to the sb....hey the NY Giants and Buffalo Bills were in it together one time.

I remember that when I was in the army a guy from New York said he did not mind who won because he liked both teams from his state lol.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I was at a party last year and sharing my knowledge of college football. These guys from Italy just started laughing when I explained how the champions are determined. It is a shame when people who aren't even fans can see that the system is flawed. The system is and always has been a joke. And probably will be for a long time.

I support a 12 team playoff format with the top 4 ranked teams getting a first round bye. That is just like the NFL. Teams #5, 6, 7 and 8 play host to teams 12, 11, 10 and 9 respectively in the first round. The next rounds get incorporated into the bowls.

The Duke

Reaction score
12 team playoffs sounds good. Now how do you determine who those 12 are?

joseephuss

Reaction score
The Duke said:

They would have to rely on a BCS type ranking system for that. With 117 schools, the ranking system seems about the only way to narrow it down to 16, 12 or 8 teams. It just doesn't work will getting it down to 2 like it is used for currently.

The Duke

Reaction score
It won't happen but permit me for a moment to dream.

You create a system that makes sense like the NFL.

You purge the Division 1 level football by dropping at least half the schools down to a division 2 and Division 1 AA to 3 and 2 to 4 and 3 to 5.

Then with about 60 D-1 schools you put them in conferences. The conference champs get an automatic seed and then you have a few spots allowed for high ranked teams that might be #2 in their conference. This is the only time I would accept a ranking of the second place teams to get them into the playoffs since there probably would be too many teams in Div 1.

I just want to dream of the day when the top teams stop playing cream puff games for a non-conference game. This also points to why a ranking system stinks when teams get cream puffs not to risk their ranking since every game counts to be undefeated. They play some top teams but can't afford to play consecutive ones.

Other than that yes I would settle for a BCS ranking since its the farthest in reality they will go for. Still a shame to think you won your conference and don't get to be in the playoffs because of votes.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not know why the Div ia Conferences all could not have a championship game...that way you would always have a game for that conf to establish a Conf Champ First.

Then Take all of the Conf Champs...use a seeding forumla (similar to NCAA Basketball) and play it out from there.

Of course the numbers may be off but that general Idea.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think one ideal I have heard that could help out in the rating system is not rating any team until Oct. It really makes no sense have college rankings before the season even starts, let the teams play a few weeks then determine where teams should be ranked. As for a playoff, I would like to see that happen but I doubt we will see that happen anytime soon.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
The Duke said:

You can only run a 12 team playoff if you include several byes...

4, 8 or 16 teams is much more feasible...

You could have an 8 team bracket and have the 7-10 teams play an extra game to get the 7 and 8 spot and the right to play the 1 and 2 seeds repectively...

That would then include the top 10...

It would look something like this:

bracket0um.gif

joseephuss

Reaction score
trickblue said:
You can only run a 12 team playoff if you include several byes...

4, 8 or 16 teams is much more feasible...

You could have an 8 team bracket and have the 7-10 teams play an extra game to get the 7 and 8 spot and the right to play the 1 and 2 seeds repectively...

That would then include the top 10...

It would look something like this:

bracket0um.gif

You just wanted to show off your fancy drawing. You must have a closet full of images and pictures just ready to be posted.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
You just wanted to show off your fancy drawing. You must have a closet full of images and pictures just ready to be posted.

No no... they are all baked fresh daily for my friends at the zone... :D