Collins sack on Dak

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Referee John Parry: "There were hands around him and another defender was coming. Hands around the QB from my view."

Either he didn't realize the rule is for tacklers (not teammates) who have the player in their grasp and control, or he thought La'el was wearing a Rams' uniform.

links18

Reaction score
So those have been Dak's fault? How about calling out this season-long porous Oline? Heck, the Rams Oline protected Goff superbly all game long. Goff was never touched and had all day to find his open receivers.

But yes, let's just blame it on Dak. :facepalm:

OL did him no favors at times. But Dak needs to do a better job recognizing game situation and get the ball out of there and not take the sack. They were on the cusp of FG range. If you dont think my criticism is worth anything, Troy said the same thing during the game.

links18

Reaction score
Here is the official “in the grasp” rule, per the 2018 NFL rulebook:

“The Referee must blow the play dead as soon as the passer is clearly in the grasp and control of any tackler behind the line, and the passer’s safety is in jeopardy.

Cowboys lineman La’el Collins, it should be noted, may have broken a rule by wrapping his arms around Prescott while Fowler was attempting to grab him.

ARTICLE 4. OTHER PROHIBITED ACTS

No offensive player may:

1. pull a runner in any direction at any time
  2. use interlocking interference, by grasping a teammate or by using his hands or arms to encircle the body of a teammate.
Penalty: For assisting the runner, interlocking interference, tripping, or illegal use of hands, arms, or body by the offense: Loss of 10 yards.

So, they got it wrong twice. Nice job, blind Zebras!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
lol I know the loss still stings but WTH was this mess

Another reason to hate the No Fun League

Calling "in the grasp" because the OT has his arms around the QB
Totally absurd
They could just admit that they screwed up
But no
They're gonna piss down our backs and ask us how we like the rain

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dak could've ran or made a play if Collins didn't hold him. That was a blunder by both the refs and La'el.

Collins shielded him from the defenders. Good play by Collins.

But for incompetent refs, Dak gets away and has a chance for a big play.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
This play..looool. He was trying to protect Dak from being hit,and ended up doing the rosey dosey.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The larger question isnt about the officials blowing the play dead, its about why in the hell was Collins trying to bear hug Dak.

There's some question about what Collins did was legal, but he effectively shield dak from defenders and would have set him down to continue the play.

catiii

Reaction score

Garbage pocket presence by Dak. First of all, he clearly has time. Second, he runs right into
Pressure with his awful pocket presence and his typical tango dance.
Third, it’s not like Collins can escape the awkwardness of Dak’s presence. Fourth, Donald was right there to blow up Dak anyways.

Dak had the whole right side to run to if he was too scared to throw. tHE WHOLE RIGHT SIDE, but he just spins the other way blindly for who knows what..

Almost verbatim what his NFL scouting report said - tries to escape the pocket prematurely by spinning into the rush. Apparently the Jones boys didn't read it. His poor accuracy and tendency to "panic/deer-in-headlights" and hold the ball to long were also noted as well as his inability to sort out the open receivers down field and his fear of throwing the ball. His only strength really was his ability to run which the clapping clown has now coached out of him.
:popcorn:

sideon

Reaction score
Dak could've ran or made a play if Collins didn't hold him. That was a blunder by both the refs and La'el.
Collins seemed like he was trying to throw Dak out of the way of the sack. The refs totally blew the call, but how many times have we seen Dak take a sack on 3rd down on the cusp of FG range?
This is surprisingly not on the officials but on Collins.

Boyz981

Reaction score
The Dak "Panic" pocket syndrome reached new highs today as this is a first in the NFL .....getting sacked by your own Off-lineman....Dak-Stats simply amazing stuff......
Whatever dude...

sillycon

Reaction score
From what I can see, Dak suddenly backed into Collins as Collins moved up. It appeared Collins tried to get Dak out of the way by grabbing him (I suppose he could have tried to step to the side after Dak backed into him but heat of the moment type of thing). As someone noted earlier, the act of trying to move Dak out of the way could technically be called a penalty (of which the officials love to call the weird ones on the Cowboys apparently). I'm not going to place blame as this was a crazy situation that you can not plan for. I CAN blame the refs for making a stupid call though as well as the attempt to justify the call...