Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Posted 7/12/2005 5:39 PM
Updated 7/12/2005 6:06 PM

clear.gif
Collinsworth leaving Fox for NBC
By Michael Hiestand, USA TODAY

Cris Collinsworth, an analyst on Fox's top NFL game broadcast team, will join NBC for coverage of NFL Sunday night games that will begin in 2006, Fox Sports President Ed Goren said Tuesday.

Collinsworth, who teamed with Fox play-by-play announcer Joe Buck and analyst Troy Aikman, will not be part of the Fox's NFL coverage next season as the network will instead use Buck and Aikman in a two-man booth, Goren said.

2005-07-12-collinsworth2.jpg
clear.gif
Fox Sports Cris Collinsworth
clear.gif
"We would like to thank Cris for (seven) terrific years at Fox Sports and wish him nothing but the very best," Goren said. "Over the same time period we've been fortunate to have Troy Aikman develop into one of television's best analysts. We're confident and excited that he and Joe Buck will become television's top NFL team."

NBC has already signed ABC's John Madden to be its game analyst for Sunday nights and has said it won't use him in a three-man booth. That means it's likely that NBC will use Collinsworth in its Sunday night studio show. Collinsworth was an NBC studio analyst before joining Fox.

Collinsworth wasn't available for comment Tuesday, and NBC declined comment.

Contributing: Michael McCarthy

Roughneck

Reaction score
Good riddance.

He was, literally, the third wheel on that broadcast team the past couple of seasons. Buck & Aikman will be just as good, if not better, without him.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
There is a God! Collinsworth added absolutely nothing to that booth. All he did was interupt the intelligent commentary by Aikman.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny, that article reads like he resigned and was fired.

It sounds like he resigned for the NBC gig, but it also sounds like Fox wanted to go w/two announcers and had told him he needed to find something different.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Funny, that article reads like he resigned and was fired.

It sounds like he resigned for the NBC gig, but it also sounds like Fox wanted to go w/two announcers and had told him he needed to find something different.

Follow the money.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Madden is signed to NBC but is broadcasting MNF this season. Collingsworth signed w/ NBC, but is gone THIS season. Maybe it wasn't a happy breakup.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Waffle said:
Madden is signed to NBC but is broadcasting MNF this season. Collingsworth signed w/ NBC, but is gone THIS season. Maybe it wasn't a happy breakup.
After thinking about it, maybe he told them he was moving to NBC the next season (after they hired him of course) and they told him he didn't have to stick around another year and his resignation/termination would be effective immediately. That happens.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Maybe I'm the only one, but I liked Collinsworth... I didn't like him in the studio a few years ago, but I thought he and Troy had a good rapport and some interesting points of view as former players. Buck with his cutesy baseball style is the one I get tired of at times.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
After thinking about it, maybe he told them he was moving to NBC the next season (after they hired him of course) and they told him he didn't have to stick around another year and his resignation/termination would be effective immediately. That happens.

Agreed. And it's not like he's Madden either.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
I'm not happy about being forced to continue to listen to Madden beat his tally whacker every time Brett Farve breathes.... :mad:

CantonBound08

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Maybe I'm the only one, but I liked Collinsworth... I didn't like him in the studio a few years ago, but I thought he and Troy had a good rapport and some interesting points of view as former players. Buck with his cutesy baseball style is the one I get tired of at times.
Yep, Your the only one.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Too bad we have to deal with him on NBC. Why couldn't he have gone to work at IHOP instead?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
junk said:
Too bad we have to deal with him on NBC. Why couldn't he have gone to work at IHOP instead?
NBC = AFC and that is a good start.

Oh, and why would IHOP want him?

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
i'm with ya chock... collinsworth was the perfect foil for a three-time ring winner like aikman. the guy can take the ribbings. i find it endearing when a sportshead/ex-jock can subvert his ego.

mperfection

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

No...you're not the only one. And I do NOT think that Troy-boy has developed into one of the game's best analysts. Sadly, I think much of Troy's insights are so un-original. As a matter of fact, I consider him nothing more than an after-thought as a TV analyst.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Saw a special on the three. Aikman, Joe and Chris. Collinsworth wasn't looking too happy with the gig. He directed a comment to Bradshaw and the gang to not do what he's doing be cause it's a lot of work and you're never home. Quote "Stay in the studio.....It's a lot more fun". Un-Quote. He didn't like all the travel. I'm thinking it was a mutual thing, with a twist, working out in Collinsworth's favor. JMO of course.
For the record...I didn't think he was all that bad.