Colts, Wayne agree to six-year, $39 million deal

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
NOTES

Colts, Wayne agree to six-year, $39 million deal

Wire Reports

Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne agreed to a $39 million, six-year contract Wednesday, a move that makes him one of the NFL's highest-paid receivers and allows the Colts to use their franchise tag on another player.
Wayne's deal includes a $13.5 million signing bonus.
"He's thrilled; he could not think more highly of the owner, Jimmy [Irsay], Bill [Polian], and Coach [Tony] Dungy is someone he respects more than anybody he's ever been with," said Wayne's agent, David Dunn. "And he has the maturity to understand the importance of winning."
Since the playoff loss to Pittsburgh last month, Polian, the Colts president, had repeatedly made it clear Wayne's contract was his top off-season priority -- implying the Colts would not hesitate to use the franchise tag on their leading receiver from last season.
Briefly
Jaguars: Coach Jack Del Rio signed a new contract that ties him to the team for three more seasons. He had two years left on a five-year contract that averaged $1.3 million annually. The new three-year deal is believed to be worth more than $3 million a season.
Jets: New York slashed its payroll by restructuring Curtis Martin's contract, parting with Pro Bowl cornerback Ty Law and cutting a host of other veterans, including quarterback Jay Fiedler, offensive tackle Jason Fabini and fullback Jerald Sowell. The team is about $26 million over the salary cap and must be at or under the cap by March 3, the opening day of free agency. The team said Law, who led the NFL with 10 interceptions last season, and the team agreed to part ways; he would have been due $11 million to trigger the final three years of his contract.
Ravens: The team has decided not to keep Jamal Lewis from free agency -- it would have required a one-year, $6 million offer -- but has not ruled out signing the one-time 2,000-yard rusher to a long-term contract.
Bills: Buffalo designated cornerback Nate Clements as its franchise player. The move was expected and allows the Bills to retain the rights to Clements by offering the five-year starter and 2004 Pro Bowl selection a one-year contract worth $5.89 million.
Patriots: Quarterback Tom Brady, 28, had hernia surgery last week, according to the Boston Herald.
Titans: Free-agent receiver Sloan Thomas, a former standout at Texas, agreed to terms.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
They need a tougher ground game and defense, not another receiver. More running, less passing. I guess it's not that bad since Marvin Harrison is on the tailend of his career, but I get the feeling Peyton Manning is going to go out like Dan Marino, a guy with incredible career passing numbers but not a ring to show for it. When I see the way Indy is built, I'm glad we have a coach like Parcells running the show. I'd rather be built like Pittsburgh, not Indy.