Columbo is looking good...

burmafrd

Reaction score
From everything I have read on numerous sites, its pretty much unanimous that Columbo is pushing for serious playing time, if not outright starter.
This should make up for Rogers. Unfortunately, it seems like Peterman is nothing but a depth guy. The only defense I have for Peterman is that he was highly regarded coming out of college, had no injury concerns, and appeared to have a good head on his shoulders. It just seems that he just does not have the ability to play well in the pros.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
From everything I have read on numerous sites, its pretty much unanimous that Columbo is pushing for serious playing time, if not outright starter.
This should make up for Rogers. Unfortunately, it seems like Peterman is nothing but a depth guy. The only defense I have for Peterman is that he was highly regarded coming out of college, had no injury concerns, and appeared to have a good head on his shoulders. It just seems that he just does not have the ability to play well in the pros.

it happens. hopefully columbo can be that surprise player out there who we finally *hit* with.

burmafrd

Reaction score
McQuistan is showing signs of being something as well- though its still early for him. We are due for some good hits after the duds of the last couple of years.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Columbo may turn out to be a key depth guy for us if Fabini continues to struggle.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Bill mentioned yesterday that Columbo was looking good...

He said this year was the first time he had really been able to work out properly since his injury.

We may have gotten quite the bargain here...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
Columbo may turn out to be a key depth guy for us if Fabini continues to struggle.

He might turn out to be more then that.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
He might turn out to be more then that.
I agree, ABQ... This is a former first rounder from a big-time program who knows how to play. All he needs is health, and he seems to have that.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I am glad to be wrong about Columbo thus far.

I hope I am equally wrong about Kosier, Peterman, Pettiti...

Though, I do hope I am right about Flozell being the ol' Flo' this year and hoping Gurode finally 'gets it.'

And from what it sounds like, I may have been duped on the hype of Al Johnson. Though, its early.....

sago1

Reaction score
Glad to hear that Colombo's doing pretty good so far. Unless Fabini drastically improves in next week or so, the battle for RT is solely between Pettiti & Colombo. I think coaching staff wants Pettiti to win RT job & Parcells certainly praises his physical development, etc. But I've heard they also excited about Colombo who could also win the RT job. From Cowboy prospect, it would be best if Pettiti is the RT and Colombo (who I think Parcells said had more experience at both tackle positions) is the swing man for Pettiti & Adams. That would leave Fabini as the #4 OT backup, unless he improves or we can sign a better OT. Doubt at this point that McQuistan can be that #4th OT but you never know.

But of course this is all based on our hope that Adams/Pettiti & Colombo will play well. Until we see it in the preseason games, it's all conjecture. But I do know that Fabini, working at the 3rd team, is making even backup LB Rocky Boiman look like a pro bowler. Of course, maybe our defense is that good.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Adding depth to the line with Columbo -- that is IF he can actually play -- would be huge.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
sago1 said:
Glad to hear that Colombo's doing pretty good so far. Unless Fabini drastically improves in next week or so, the battle for RT is solely between Pettiti & Colombo. I think coaching staff wants Pettiti to win RT job & Parcells certainly praises his physical development, etc. But I've heard they also excited about Colombo who could also win the RT job. From Cowboy prospect, it would be best if Pettiti is the RT and Colombo (who I think Parcells said had more experience at both tackle positions) is the swing man for Pettiti & Adams. That would leave Fabini as the #4 OT backup, unless he improves or we can sign a better OT. Doubt at this point that McQuistan can be that #4th OT but you never know.

But of course this is all based on our hope that Adams/Pettiti & Colombo will play well. Until we see it in the preseason games, it's all conjecture. But I do know that Fabini, working at the 3rd team, is making even backup LB Rocky Boiman look like a pro bowler. Of course, maybe our defense is that good.

Adams does not sound, to me, as if he's started camp all that impressively. Not saying he's having a terrible camp or that it's to be expected but if he doesn't step it up, it could be a situation where he too is challenged in this camp. The only player on the roster capable of doing this at LT is Colombo. We will have to see how things pan out.

Reaction score
Columbo if healthy is better than Petitti and at worse can be an upgrade behind Flozell as backup versus turnstile Tucker.

I've been pulling for Columbo to get back 100% because he's a player when healthy.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Adams does not sound, to me, as if he's started camp all that impressively. Not saying he's having a terrible camp or that it's to be expected but if he doesn't step it up, it could be a situation where he too is challenged in this camp. The only player on the roster capable of doing this at LT is Colombo. We will have to see how things pan out.

I think folks are reading too much into Adams' performance at this point. After not playing at all for like 9 months, he's going to need a little time to get back in the groove.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I think folks are reading too much into Adams' performance at this point.

they are

BP in his PC said that Flo is still adjusting to his knee, it's sound, just he has to get in a groove w/ it as he's never had this type of injury before, so recovering from it on the field, in substantial practice time, is something totally foreign to him

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
I read where BP mentioned Procter as someone that is coming on and that's good news.

With Peterman looking more and more like his days are numbered, we need someone to step and be counted as legitimate depth at the G position, especially if Gurode ends up winning the C battle.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I think folks are reading too much into Adams' performance at this point. After not playing at all for like 9 months, he's going to need a little time to get back in the groove.

Personally, I think he's going to need a lot more. To me, he's only had one really good season his entire career. The rest have been between OK to poor. He's not getting younger and he has poor habbits. It could eventually catch up to him. We will see.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
they are

BP in his PC said that Flo is still adjusting to his knee, it's sound, just he has to get in a groove w/ it as he's never had this type of injury before, so recovering from it on the field, in substantial practice time, is something totally foreign to him

the ice, and everything else he's doing i'm hoping is to just ease him back into the groove of things vs. just pretending it's all fine and doesn't need the "attention". we won't know about flo till gametime.

burmafrd

Reaction score
If in two weeks there has been no progress then We can start worrying.