Columbo is looking good...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Personally, I think he's going to need a lot more. To me, he's only had one really good season his entire career. The rest have been between OK to poor. He's not getting younger and he has poor habbits. It could eventually catch up to him. We will see.

His seasons have been OK to Poor given what he can do when he puts it all together. Compared to other LTs in the league though, he certainly is above average -- and that is much better than OK to Poor.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Columbo did look good to me on Monday. Not so much because I saw him manhandle a bunch of guys, because it was hard to see offense most of the time as they were on far side especially in AM practice.

Columbo is very big guy, tall and wide. Big wingspan like Flo. Prototypical OT as he covers a ton of space and can force DE wide.

What impressed me was he looked interested, upbeat, and very confident. He ran pretty well. He just looks healthy. He is not a fat guy either. He does have a high center of gravity and might have leverage issues because of his height. He definitely didn't look like a guy worried about his knee at all though, which is the key. I'd love it if he put some more size into lower body, but that takes time and on a frame like that is tough.

He was 2nd team all day ahead of Fabini.

Peterman disappointed me. Didn't show fire. Has good guard build in terms of thick lower body and lower center of gravity. He looks a bit pudgy to me for sure, and he isn't a tall guy compared to others. Stocky. Sorry, I have high hopes for a young guard and high draft pick like him, but he looked complacent to me. During team stretching he had no flexibility at all. Worst guy out there I could see during stretching. That might not mean much, but flexibility helps footwork and agility for anyone. Not sure this guy is hungry. Not fair of me to say in watching 2 practices, but he didn't stand out in positive way (just my humble opinion, and biased because I have high hopes for a young guard to step up.

Didn't get a good look at Gurode of Johnson. Gurode looked a bit leaner than when I saw him 2 years ago at camp. Less of a belly. Gurode was first team all day it seemed.

Kosier looked agile and capable. He's not a huge guy but seems fit and has good movement/footwork. On one play close to the fence, he pulled behind center and hammered a DE, either Ellis, Canty, or Coleman. Springing Barber for a nice run. He got across FAST and hit DE hard with momentum and good timing. He might not be near as strong as an Allen, but not sure Larry would have gotten there as fast or hit the guy as squarely. Was a nice play for sure and impressed me. He looked determined and focussed and I think will be a solid player. Not a dominant guy, but versatile and consistent perhaps.

Flo is a beast, limping or no. I had 2 ACL surgeries, give this guy a break. Why torque that knee severely so early in camp. Give him time. He has huge brace on leg and does favour it when running but he isn't fat at all, and is biggest man I've ever seen, both tall, wide, AND thick. In one on one drills he looked stable and confident and man handled just about everyone.

Oline is a work in progress. But I think it has more potential and depth and we'll know if Peterman, Gurode, Johnson, Columbo, etc are longterm answers for team thru camp and season.

Oline, WR, and QB in draft next year regardless, but don't panic on oline yet. I think we will change style a lot this year across line, using more agile plays and movement, in a transition from the power Larry Allen days. We'll play to our strengths and regardless the experience and depth is much improved despite questions and fewer legends across line.

Larry

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
abersonc said:
His seasons have been OK to Poor given what he can do when he puts it all together. Compared to other LTs in the league though, he certainly is above average -- and that is much better than OK to Poor.

I would probably agree with you that for what he's capable of doing, he's very underachieving at this point. As for the rest of the league, I don't know. I don't think he's vastly superior to much of the league. Certainly was not at the begining of last year, IMO. I guess it is a relative thing.

Still, I'd say there are easily 10 other OTs I'd rather have. I just hate the fact that the guy can not seem to stay on sides.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
LarryCanadian said:

nice, in-depth look...for a Canuck ;)

no really, thanks alot, and speaking of your analysis of Flo, there's a reason whenever a young pass-rusher is brought in the fold, how BP will say, "let's see how he does against Flozell Adams", when asked about them, he's a beast, even when he's inconsistent

DLCassidy

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
From everything I have read on numerous sites, its pretty much unanimous that Columbo is pushing for serious playing time, if not outright starter.
This should make up for Rogers. Unfortunately, it seems like Peterman is nothing but a depth guy. The only defense I have for Peterman is that he was highly regarded coming out of college, had no injury concerns, and appeared to have a good head on his shoulders. It just seems that he just does not have the ability to play well in the pros.

I think there's a good chance Peterman will be a depth guy for another team.

The only way Columbo will get serious playing time IS to be the outright starter. This isn't DL where you like to rotate guys in much. We do it at center some but it's out of necessity.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I would like to see you name the other 10 LT's that you would prefer.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I would probably agree with you that for what he's capable of doing, he's very underachieving at this point. As for the rest of the league, I don't know. I don't think he's vastly superior to much of the league. Certainly was not at the begining of last year, IMO. I guess it is a relative thing.

Still, I'd say there are easily 10 other OTs I'd rather have. I just hate the fact that the guy can not seem to stay on sides.

I'm very grateful we have him. He's not perfect but he's underrated if anything.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
I would like to see you name the other 10 LT's that you would prefer.

I'm assuming your talking to me and that is no problem at all.

Ogden
Levi Jones
Tarik Glenn
Roaf (if he still wants to play)
John Tait
Backus
Walter Jones
Orlando Pace
Robert Gallary (who is a RT but can play LT)
Jordan Gross (who is also a RT but can play LT)

I'd probably throw in D'Brickshaw Ferguson just because I believe he will be the best LT in the game in very short period of time.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I'm assuming your talking to me and that is no problem at all.

Ogden
Levi Jones
Tarik Glenn
Roaf (if he still wants to play)-well he's not playing, so...
John Tait
Backus-:lmao2:
Walter Jones
Orlando Pace
Robert Gallary (who is a RT but can play LT)-:lmao2: he hasn't started a game at LT
Jordan Gross (who is also a RT but can play LT)-there's a reason he's a RT

I'd probably throw in D'Brickshaw Ferguson just because I believe he will be the best LT in the game in very short period of time.

:eek: that's a horrible list

sago1

Reaction score
Understand Colombo is starting RT this morning. He appears to be playing pretty good and, while it's very early, might have legit shot to start--certainly better then Fabini does at this point. I've got no problem with Colombo as our starter just as long as he can get the job done; he certainly had all the talent to do so when he came into the NFL in 02 as first rounder with the Bears before his injury. Parcells signed Colombo to 2 year deal back in Oct/Nov 05 so I think this season counts as 2nd year of 2 yr deal but we paying him league minimum for 5th year player, so we got him cheap. If it turns out he's the starting RT, I wouldn't be surprised. But that doesn't mean Pettiti's doesn't have a future as a starting RT but maybe in 07 or 08; frankly, I've been thinking for some time that Colombo has all the tools to be a good LT (experts when he drafted said he had no weaknesses and could play both tackle positions in NFL) maybe to succeed/replace Adams after 07 season (Adams currently in 4th year of 5 year contract). But of course I'm getting way ahead of myself. There's still time for Fabini to step it up, for Pettiti to win RT job or whatever.

HeHateMe

Displaced but Dedicated
Reaction score
Although I want to see Petitti be our RT of the future, if he falters, I think Columbo can be that too.