Commanders could be "dead" again

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Updated: Feb. 28, 2006, 9:12 PM ET
Around the NFL, disbelief and even desperation
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2348970

TIDBIT: Said one cap manager: "For months, my owner told me to develop two strategies, one with [an extension] and one without. But nobody, even with all the gloom-and-doom talk of the last few weeks, ever really believed we'd be breaking out 'Plan B.' And then, these last few days, even my owner was telling me he thought it would get done. Unless there's some kind of miracle on Wednesday, our team is going to have to do some drastic things, and I know we're not the only team in that situation."

How drastic? There continue to be rumors the Washington Commanders, who extended numerous contracts in the past to deal with previous cap crunches, could have to play with 20 rookies on the roster in 2006.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Gryphon said:
Updated: Feb. 28, 2006, 9:12 PM ET
Around the NFL, disbelief and even desperation
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2348970

TIDBIT: Said one cap manager: "For months, my owner told me to develop two strategies, one with [an extension] and one without. But nobody, even with all the gloom-and-doom talk of the last few weeks, ever really believed we'd be breaking out 'Plan B.' And then, these last few days, even my owner was telling me he thought it would get done. Unless there's some kind of miracle on Wednesday, our team is going to have to do some drastic things, and I know we're not the only team in that situation."

How drastic? There continue to be rumors the Washington Commanders, who extended numerous contracts in the past to deal with previous cap crunches, could have to play with 20 rookies on the roster in 2006.

I'm so angry right now. If a Plan B was made then this position wouldn't be so drastic.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
I'm so angry right now. If a Plan B was made then this position wouldn't be so drastic.

You know, Danny boy should've taken a note of the Cowboys' troubles with the cap in the 90s. But, then again, an NFL franchise is nothing more than a monopoly game with him.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:

Kudos for taking it to Art over on extreme even though he is trying to spin this thing by saying this is a good thing and cutting all these players will allow the Commanders to get cheap free agents LOL

keep him on his toes

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Kudos for taking it to Art over on extreme even though he is trying to spin this thing by saying this is a good thing and cutting all these players will allow the Commanders to get cheap free agents LOL

keep him on his toes

He's tricky to argue with because he can say digs or things to get under someones skin but if you say them back you run the risk of being banned. LOL

superpunk

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:

I know this is a painful time, and you're a good guy, so it hurts me to say it, but.....if they hadn't been so ridiculously careless with the spending and restructuring, there wouldn't be a need for a plan B. I know alot of skins fans are justifying it with "Alot of teams are up against the cap," but I believe those teams have contracts with large cap numbers that they can take right off the books. The restructuring hangup affects the Skins more than anyone, because that's the way they've done business for years; "Pay for it tomorrow, and hope tomorrow never comes."

Truthfully, though, they've been "paying for it" for years. Having to cut players like Smoot and Pierce, just to sneak under the cap, is bad business.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
He's tricky to argue with because he can say digs or things to get under someones skin but if you say them back you run the risk of being banned. LOL

Yeah i usually ignore him, earlier today he was saying the Commanders "fleeced" the broncos in the draft pick trade last season Westy challenged him and he kept talking about the draft chart and the numbers and told him to look it up, i came in and challenged him to show the numbers and he never came back in the thread

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Here is Art saying how losing all these players is a good thing. evidently now everyone is gonna sign cheap one year deals lol

No, cutting 50 players doesn't worry me in a situation like this, because, players will be cheap to replace with good players out there. Contracts will be limited even by teams WITH money available under the cap due to contractual rules that would take effect. There will be high quality players out there available for a simple one-year minimum type deal hoping to cash in during the uncapped year.

But, fortunately, it won't come to that. Most of our guys with higher base salaries will do option bonus conversions knowing it's as good as guaranteed and they'll get less on the open market. In all, we'll make some harder choices that will hurt a number of us for having to be made, but, about 25 other teams will have to do the same.

And no team would be better positioned for an uncapped year in such a situation. If we were the only team facing this, I'd be upset. But, since everyone is, we're going to be fine.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:
I know this is a painful time, and you're a good guy, so it hurts me to say it, but.....if they hadn't been so ridiculously careless with the spending and restructuring, there wouldn't be a need for a plan B. I know alot of skins fans are justifying it with "Alot of teams are up against the cap," but I believe those teams have contracts with large cap numbers that they can take right off the books. The restructuring hangup affects the Skins more than anyone, because that's the way they've done business for years; "Pay for it tomorrow, and hope tomorrow never comes."

Truthfully, though, they've been "paying for it" for years. Having to cut players like Smoot and Pierce, just to sneak under the cap, is bad business.

You know who I truly admire in the way they've handled things? Seattle.

They prepared for a year where both Alexander and Hutchinson are UFAs by freeing 20 million in cap space. They can resign both if they want, and if they decide to let Alexander go they will get able compensation in return.

They've built steadily through the draft, are strong on both offense and defense, and are the most balanced team in the NFC right now from top to bottom.

superpunk

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
You know who I truly admire in the way they've handled things? Seattle.

They prepared for a year where both Alexander and Hutchinson are UFAs by freeing 20 million in cap space. They can resign both if they want, and if they decide to let Alexander go they will get able compensation in return.

They've built steadily through the draft, are strong on both offense and defense, and are the most balanced team in the NFC right now from top to bottom.

Very true, even though I think they'll pass on Alexander and hitting hutch with ONLY the transition tag was moronic.

BTW....Art's a jackass. There are mighty few realist Skins fans over there (guess they are led by example) and you're one of them. Nice job.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Very true, even though I think they'll pass on Alexander and hitting hutch with ONLY the transition tag was moronic.

BTW....Art's a jackass. There are mighty few realist Skins fans over there (guess they are led by example) and you're one of them. Nice job.

Whats the difference between the transition and franchise tags? I know for franchise you have to pay the average of the top 5 salaries of all players of that position, and if someone signs a franchised player they have to give up 2 number 1's. I agree, Seattle could afford a franchise tag on Hutchinson.

Yeah I think Alexander is gone too. He wants a huge payday now and is alienating himself from the Seattle FO.

Whats unknown is whether Alexanders unsung hero, Mack Strong, will retire or come back another year. Strong is the guy that was the best blocking fullback in the NFC.

superpunk

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Whats the difference between the transition and franchise tags? I know for franchise you have to pay the average of the top 5 salaries of all players of that position, and if someone signs a franchised player they have to give up 2 number 1's. I agree, Seattle could afford a franchise tag on Hutchinson.

Yeah I think Alexander is gone too. He wants a huge payday now and is alienating himself from the Seattle FO.

Whats unknown is whether Alexanders unsung hero, Mack Strong, will retire or come back another year. Strong is the guy that was the best blocking fullback in the NFC.

The compensation is slightly less for the transition tag, in this case, about 600k. The downside is, that if another team makes an offer, you get no draft pick compensation with the transition tag.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:

You know you could just become a Cowboys fan instead :D

We even have a better message board to post at.

1fisher

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:

That's the thing I can't stand about him and the other chicken crap mods over there. I've been permanently banned over there because I didn't tow the company line! I've sent PM's to them several times trying to get back in...:laugh2:

Pokes28

Reaction score

The primary problem is giving that kind of money to Brunell and Arrington. Without those two deals, there are no contracts that look too far out of whack. The thing is that both of those guys now hold all the cards.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Pokes28 said:
The primary problem is giving that kind of money to Brunell and Arrington. Without those two deals, there are no contracts that look too far out of whack. The thing is that both of those guys now hold all the cards.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Arrington I can say was given the mucho money before Gibbs got here, so I can say that was totally Snyders mistake.

Brunell had a very good year for us last year, but I winced when his contract was signed. By 2004 we should have been thinking about consquences for 2006 without a CBA, if we had we never would have signed him to that deal.