Commanders/Giants resurgence

Verdict

Reaction score
Count me among those who was surprised at the resurgence of the Commanders and Giants this past year. If you would have told me before the season began that we would SWEEP the Eagles and still finish third in the NFC EAst I would have thought you were smoking crack.

I really counted the Commanders out of the NFC East race, but their late season run proves that you never give up on a season as long as you are mathematically in it.

I'm still a Parcells fan, but I wonder how a guy who everyone claims to have such an emphasis on special teams can go into the season without a top-flight kicker. I said top-flight, not just average. Even if Cundiff had not been injured he is not going to be considered better than AVERAGE.

I am wondering if we really have a decent running back. No I dont mean average. I could name you a ton of backs better than Julius or Barber in the NFL. If Parcells really wants to throttle other teams with ball control, I'm thinking we really need a back who can carry the rock with authority. I'm talking a back that is in the top 25% of the backs in the NFL. I doubt either Julius or MBIII is that guy right now. If the offensive line is the problem, maybe they are, but neither are all world at this point, in my opinion.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
I think its a credit to the division and the quality of the coaches. They all pretty much know what they are doing, but are still mortal.

Every coach had a blowout or two this year.

Bizwah

Reaction score
There are so many variables that go into a season.

In 2003, we took advantage of down years the Giants and Commanders, plus injuries to the Eagles to secure a playoff spot.

I think the Giants and Commanders success has a lot to do with the Eagles problems (TO and injuries) and our injury situation.

If we had stayed relatively healthy, I think we walk away with the East.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I think we can take some notice/ lesson as to what happend to the Skins the year before last and this year as far as how important having talent and health on your OL is concerned.

It effects you whole offense.

When Jansen went down the year before last year, their season was shot. Now I know there were other factors (Brunell health, Coles Vs Moss) but not having Jansen for the year impacted their O greatly.

Again this year when their O line was healthy for most of the year their whole O got a lot better. When Randy Thomas went down late, their offense immediately got alot worse. The last 2 games with Thomas out their O has been mostly non existent. While other things are important, I do not believe there is anything more important then the O line.

When you look at our year, we were cliking fairly well even with Pettit at tackle, but when our Pro Bowler went down (Adams) we had problems with pass protection and running the ball.

The O line is THE most important part of the O and should absolutely be our top prority.

Learn the lesson we must. It amazing how a great O line can make you look like a genious.

kartr

Reaction score
Verdict said:
Count me among those who was surprised at the resurgence of the Commanders and Giants this past year. If you would have told me before the season began that we would SWEEP the Eagles and still finish third in the NFC EAst I would have thought you were smoking crack.

I really counted the Commanders out of the NFC East race, but their late season run proves that you never give up on a season as long as you are mathematically in it.

I'm still a Parcells fan, but I wonder how a guy who everyone claims to have such an emphasis on special teams can go into the season without a top-flight kicker. I said top-flight, not just average. Even if Cundiff had not been injured he is not going to be considered better than AVERAGE.

I am wondering if we really have a decent running back. No I dont mean average. I could name you a ton of backs better than Julius or Barber in the NFL. If Parcells really wants to throttle other teams with ball control, I'm thinking we really need a back who can carry the rock with authority. I'm talking a back that is in the top 25% of the backs in the NFL. I doubt either Julius or MBIII is that guy right now. If the offensive line is the problem, maybe they are, but neither are all world at this point, in my opinion.

Funny how you look at things. You question if we have a decent running back this year,but we only had Hambrick in 2003. You say the Skins and Giants had down years in 2003, but failed to admit we beat who we were supposed to beat that year and lost to teams that were better than us, But we also beat Carolina and Philly who both played in the NFC title game and were at least competitive against the better teams on our schedule. We didn't give away any close games except against New Orleans when Terry tripped over his own feet, but we were in the playoffs already, so no biggie.