Commanders Kicker Hall hurt, probably miss Monday night game

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Obviously against the pathetic bears offense the skins only got a chance to return two kickoffs, doesnt really give the complete picture of a team's capabilities or lack thereof. Did anyone watch them during the preseason and get an accurate picture of how good or bad their kick returners are?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
antonio brown is average.hes prone to fumble just hit his soft *** hard enough hell give us a few gifts.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
stilltheguru said:
antonio brown is average.hes prone to fumble just hit his soft *** hard enough hell give us a few gifts.
But he's awfully fast, faster than Sproiles...it wasn't like Sproiles was breaking tackles...he was finding a seam before our coverage guys could get there...if that isn't fixed, you could see Brown burn us.

I think we'll see a very active coverage team...we may even see the old style of kicking we've had in the past where we ask the kicker to put it up higher, even if it drops at the 10-15, so we can cover and make the play at the 20-25.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
ehhhhhhhhhhh.i dont know if hes faster then sproles but sproles scared me for some reason.

brown doesnt scare me at all.skins fans even want him cut.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Cant say I watched em, but barely beating the bears on 3 FG (with your kicker now hurt) just does not inspire that fear that Commanders fans insist we feel. I cant see any run D shutting down Jones, as his style is predicated on chaos. You cant stop a juke. The man can move like no one else in the NFL. Were talking Barry Sanders style elusivness (to a lesser degree).

The skins only scare thier fans. they know its gunna be a long season and are in denial. But we shall help them recognize the truth this Monday night.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Sproles scared the crap out of me. He's so fast, so quick. He gets up to speed really quick, and that scared me. You'd see him squeeze through a tight space and be at the 50 all of a sudden. The kid is good. He's gonna turn the tide for SD in some games. If he had broken some of thsoe TD's we would have lost ALOT of momentum.

zagnut

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
But he's awfully fast, faster than Sproiles...it wasn't like Sproiles was breaking tackles...he was finding a seam before our coverage guys could get there...if that isn't fixed, you could see Brown burn us.

I think we'll see a very active coverage team...we may even see the old style of kicking we've had in the past where we ask the kicker to put it up higher, even if it drops at the 10-15, so we can cover and make the play at the 20-25.

I think the Skins took Brown out on kick returns in favor of Ladell Betts. Betts is a nice backup RB, but he's not breaking anything on a kick return I don't feel.

Running fast is good, but thinking fast (and smart) is just as good. That's what I saw from Sproles. He was decisive and made good decisions on where to go. I hate to use the "instinct" word, but he seems to have a good feel for where the lanes are.

Smith22

Reaction score
Brown has bad hands, especially for a WR, plus he had a fumble versus the Bears. He does some have speed though. He is also pretty small for a KR.

Betts had a KR late (backup RB). He is more of a bruiser. Change of pace from Portis and his speed.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
Cant say I watched em, but barely beating the bears on 3 FG (with your kicker now hurt) just does not inspire that fear that Commanders fans insist we feel. I cant see any run D shutting down Jones, as his style is predicated on chaos. You cant stop a juke. The man can move like no one else in the NFL. Were talking Barry Sanders style elusivness (to a lesser degree).

The skins only scare thier fans. they know its gunna be a long season and are in denial. But we shall help them recognize the truth this Monday night.

I've heard this, yes. :D

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
did anyone notice if keith davis was in there on special teams any sunday? if not it might be a good idea to put him in there.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

Cortez should just kick it into the end zone like pre-season. The ball at the 20 is the best result I can think of.

He did it a lot in pre-season, so whats up now ? Is he hurt ?

playit12

Reaction score
Jarv said:
Cortez should just kick it into the end zone like pre-season. The ball at the 20 is the best result I can think of.

He did it a lot in pre-season, so whats up now ? Is he hurt ?

Some places are easier to kick deep than others (Altitude, Humidity, Wind Speed, ext...). I'm sure he's not trying to put it in play to Sproles last week. Also you want to conserve his leg so he can nail those 50 yarders late in the game.

Anyway... all that to say it's not so easy to drop all of them out of play.

As for Brown... I watch him all preseason and even saw him field a few in practice. Gibbs is enamored with this guy so I'm sure he'll get some chances next week, even after the costly fumble against the Bears. He's fast but very straight line. He is small and difficult to find in traffic. His hards are okay but he will fumble from time to time.

He's not as dangerous as Sproles but is a better returner than anyone we have.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
hey guys, maybe we will return a big kickoff, Commanders kicker is hurt, reported on espn will most likely miss monday niight game

Strains quad muscle
by Eric Johnson of WarpathInsiders.com, September 11, 2005 at 8:12pm ET

John Hall Profile

Washington Commanders K John Hall strained his quadricep muscle on his last kick of today's 9-7 victory over the Chicago Bears. His status for next week's game against Dallas is uncertain.

Skins26

Reaction score
If he can hold on to the ball, Brown is/could be a very good returner. He is extremely fast.

I cant see any run D shutting down Jones, as his style is predicated on chaos. You cant stop a juke. The man can move like no one else in the NFL.
If a lesser defense in San Diego held him to just 3.6 ypc, I'm pretty sure the Skins will be able to match or best that. The keys for the Skins in limiting JJ are to shut him up early and get an early lead.

Rezz

Mr. Blonde
Reaction score
What about that guy that broke his thumbs, Jansen...He's basically a penguin now...is he going to play?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
yes Jon Jansen is going to play, wear a cast, but you cant tell me now, with him playing ot that it wont hurt him with both broken thumbs on both hands, with cast on, he cant reach out and grab real goood, dont think he could hand punch too effectively either, so our defensive end playing against him, should do good, we should at least have 2-3 sacks against Jon Jansen, just my opinion though. key to Commanders though will be 2 things on offense, got to stop their running back, biggest key, cant think of his name right now, back from denver, then next big thing is their wr they got in trade with jets, he is a dangerous punt returner too, so got to shut him down, and watch out for him on punt returns, joe