Commanders lock up Jon Jansen

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
5-year contract extension

Joe Gibbs said:
We are working hard in a lot of areas to help our football team right now and certainly keeping our team together is a part of that

:jerk: whatever you say Gibby boy

MarkBrunell

Benched
Reaction score
Its only a good move if we keep Dockery also. If we give an extension which is not for cap relief to Jansen then we should resign Dockery too.

Otherwise, we have our entire offense locked up for a long time. Its the defense that worries me.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Didn't I read somewhere this year that Jansen has been playing the worst of his carreer? I guess his punishment is he has to be a skin for 5 more years. :lmao2:

skinsngibbs4life

Reaction score
Paniolo22;1362221 said:
Didn't I read somewhere this year that Jansen has been playing the worst of his carreer? I guess his punishment is he has to be a skin for 5 more years. :lmao2:
Well, a lot of that probably has to do with the injuries he has had to play through. Two years ago played with broken thumbs on both hands. And last year, player most of the year with a partially torn calf(At least I think, could have been another leg injury). Im being optimistic here, but im hoping that once he gets healthy, he will start playing back up to his standards.

skinsngibbs4life

Reaction score
summerisfunner;1362143 said:
5-year contract extension

:jerk: whatever you say Gibby boy

Isn't this what the skins were getting bashed for the last 10 years? letting there core players get away? And now they get critized for keeping him?

Hopefully this is a sign that our organizaition is looking to keep its "core Commanders" as gibbs would say, and try and get some continuity for once. I think this restructure will help gain some caproom, and hopefully lead to getting Dockery resigned. And in the next year or 2, geting Cooley and Taylor resigned as well.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
skinsngibbs4life;1362233 said:
Well, a lot of that probably has to do with the injuries he has had to play through. Two years ago played with broken thumbs on both hands. And last year, player most of the year with a partially torn calf(At least I think, could have been another leg injury). Im being optimistic here, but im hoping that once he gets healthy, he will start playing back up to his standards.

so lock someone up for 5 years who may, or may not, be healthy in a season?

skinsngibbs4life;1362237 said:
Isn't this what the skins were getting bashed for the last 10 years? letting there core players get away? And now they get critized for keeping him?

Hopefully this is a sign that our organizaition is looking to keep its "core Commanders" as gibbs would say, and try and get some continuity for once. I think this restructure will help gain some caproom, and hopefully lead to getting Dockery resigned. And in the next year or 2, geting Cooley and Taylor resigned as well.

I'm just saying I've heard him say that before, then go in the complete opposite direction, in other words, he's a hypocrite

Skin

Reaction score
Hopefully, now when he shows up to give draft commentary during ESPN's wall-to-wall coverage he will actually be able to afford a nice shirt and maybe even a tie instead of the Commander "gimme" polos he likes to wear.

Seriously though, Jansen is not that good. I've never understood the hype.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Paniolo22;1362221 said:

This is even dumber than the Cowboys extending James.

Give a player a 10 million SB when he's showing signs of breaking down physically and he's already under contract for a couple more seasons.

:laugh2:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1362273 said:
This is even dumber than the Cowboys extending James.

Give a player a 10 million SB when he's showing signs of breaking down physically and he's already under contract for a couple more seasons.

:laugh2:

I know right? at least James looked to be improving, and has his whole career ahead of him

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
Is this a Commanders website? I thought that was called Exteme Skins???

skinsngibbs4life

Reaction score
summerisfunner;1362241 said:
so lock someone up for 5 years who may, or may not, be healthy in a season?

I'm just saying I've heard him say that before, then go in the complete opposite direction, in other words, he's a hypocrite

Jansen means more to this team then just being a solid player on the field. He is a leader of this team, and is a true Commanders. He restructures his contract every year to help the team gain more cap space(i know i know, whether that kinda turned into a bad thing, but the mentality was there.) Many Commanders fans wanted to see him turn into lifetime skin, and with this, it pretty much ensures that.

And thats why I stay "cautiously" optimistic about the whole thing. Every years it seems like the same thing, so I guess I can't really get too excited about this. But we'll see. And I would exactly call it him being a hypocrit, probably more of him just going against his word.

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
skinsngibbs4life;1362237 said:

Should have kept Smoot, Pierce and Ryan Clark. Those were "core Commanders" and we screwed the pooch by not bringing them back.

Smashmouth24

Reaction score
You really can't comment on the value of locking up a player like Jansen until you know the full details of his contract. Lengths of contracts are irrelevant as injured or incapable players can be discarded quite easily if the signing bonus was small enough. The fact that they extended Jansen after an injury-filled, below-average season probably means he signed a deal very much in the team's favor as players in that situation often do.

GLIDINGJJ

Reaction score
Jansen is not near what he was. Lost a lot of quickness in the past two years. If this is cap friendly I can certainly understand it, but he has started the downward glide, the only question is will it turn into a freefall. That said I like the lad as he has his head screwed on straight.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
skinsngibbs4life;1362283 said:
And I would exactly call it him being a hypocrit, probably more of him just going against his word.

saying one thing, then doing another, is being a hypocrite

wileedog

Reaction score
Way 'nuff;1362329 said:
Should have kept Smoot, Pierce and Ryan Clark. Those were "core Commanders" and we screwed the pooch by not bringing them back.

You guys would have been a much, much better team with those 3 guys last year.

And yes, I'm rubbing it in... ;)