Common myths and misconceptions about the Dallas Cowboys

Red Dragon

Reaction score
  • There is a common belief that if Jimmy Johnson had continued staying on with the Cowboys in the 1990s, that Dallas might have won 4 or 5 Super Bowls, Belichick-style. But the players themselves said (in the Pearlman book, Boys will be Boys) that they had grown weary of Jimmy's overbearing style and that was starting to hurt rather than help. Having Jimmy stay at the helm might have helped in drafting and signing talent, but his coaching style may very well have backfired and worsened things beyond 1993. Also, the salary cap was coming along as well.
  • Deion's pass interference on Irvin hurt the Cowboys in the 1994 title game, but it came when the Cowboys were trailing by a full ten points. Even if Dallas scores a touchdown, it would still have to get the ball back, and score again. Many Cowboys fans talk about that incident as if the interference no-call were the sole deciding difference in victory and defeat that day. It was merely the first out of several things that would have all had to consecutively go Dallas' way for victory that day.
  • "The Catch" in the 1981 title game did not take place in the game's waning seconds; it took place with around a full minute of time still remaining.
  • When Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry, it came at a time when the majority of people in Dallas-Fort Worth were already fed up with Landry and wanted him fired (61% of poll respondents, if I recall correctly.) It was not a case of Jerry flouting public opinion and firing a coach who was still wanted by the fans; most DFW-ers wanted Landry gone.
  • Bonus one: I am not sure, maybe someone could correct me on this one, but - is it true that the Cowboys did not, in fact, guarantee Randy Moss that they were going to draft him in 1998, and that it was more his wrong expectations than an actual broken promise by Dallas?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deion's pass interference on Irvin hurt the Cowboys in the 1994 title game, but it came when the Cowboys were trailing by a full ten points. Even if Dallas scores a touchdown, it would still have to get the ball back, and score again. Many Cowboys fans talk about that incident as if the interference no-call were the sole deciding difference in victory and defeat that day. It was merely the first out of several things that would have all had to consecutively go Dallas' way for victory that day.
They did get the ball back (SF went three-and-out) and they did get to 1st and 10 at the SF 38 yard line. The drive stalled because they had to go for a TD at that point, but it would have been different if they only needed the FG to force OT. The no-call on blatant interference had a huge impact.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
They did get the ball back (SF went three-and-out) and they did get to 1st and 10 at the SF 38 yard line. The drive stalled because they had to go for a TD at that point, but it would have been different if they only needed the FG to force OT. The no-call on blatant interference had a huge impact.
Yup. Don't know what game that guy watched.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
  • There is a common belief that if Jimmy Johnson had continued staying on with the Cowboys in the 1990s, that Dallas might have won 4 or 5 Super Bowls, Belichick-style. But the players themselves said (in the Pearlman book, Boys will be Boys) that they had grown weary of Jimmy's overbearing style and that was starting to hurt rather than help. Having Jimmy stay at the helm might have helped in drafting and signing talent, but his coaching style may very well have backfired and worsened things beyond 1993. Also, the salary cap was coming along as well.
  • Deion's pass interference on Irvin hurt the Cowboys in the 1994 title game, but it came when the Cowboys were trailing by a full ten points. Even if Dallas scores a touchdown, it would still have to get the ball back, and score again. Many Cowboys fans talk about that incident as if the interference no-call were the sole deciding difference in victory and defeat that day. It was merely the first out of several things that would have all had to consecutively go Dallas' way for victory that day.
  • "The Catch" in the 1981 title game did not take place in the game's waning seconds; it took place with around a full minute of time still remaining.
  • When Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry, it came at a time when the majority of people in Dallas-Fort Worth were already fed up with Landry and wanted him fired (61% of poll respondents, if I recall correctly.) It was not a case of Jerry flouting public opinion and firing a coach who was still wanted by the fans; most DFW-ers wanted Landry gone.
  • Bonus one: I am not sure, maybe someone could correct me on this one, but - is it true that the Cowboys did not, in fact, guarantee Randy Moss that they were going to draft him in 1998, and that it was more his wrong expectations than an actual broken promise by Dallas?
https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation...r-rewind-how-the-cowboys-passed-on-randy-moss

"Men, this is not the Boy Scouts we're dealing with. This is pro football. Draft him."

Jim Garrett, longtime Cowboys scout

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
I watched “The Catch” game in its entirety about 10 years ago and I swear I was in an alternate universe because it looked liked Dallas was going to easily march down the field and score to beat the 49ers even after the catch, and then the fumbled snap happened.....

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I watched “The Catch” game in its entirety about 10 years ago and I swear I was in an alternate universe because it looked liked Dallas was going to easily march down the field and score to beat the 49ers even after the catch, and then the fumbled snap happened.....
That's when Tom Landry, told Danny White. You don't have a cool bone in your body. I swore we were going to come back and win that game also

Red Dragon

Reaction score

The reason the Niners went three-and-out was because they knew they were sitting on a two-score lead and could play conservative. If the Cowboys had cut their lead to just 38-35, their playcalling would have been different. The events that followed afterwards would have been different as well.

Red Dragon

Reaction score

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes but that is not the same as a personal guarantee to Moss himself. And the reason Garrett had to say that in the war room was because he was having to convince the reluctant Cowboys to get Moss.
I know he addresses it in the article. Basically he convinced himself. Good read nonetheless.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
- Rod should have been fired after the Rams game

You wouldn't have gotten past the Seahawks without Rod, because Richard got torched, but we had one of the best fish defense performances of the year that game

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
In fact, one reason Jerry was picked as the buyer when he bought the team is because he agreed that Landry needed to go.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
Wish I would have joined this site sooner. You guys make the offseason fun! I'm going post 2001 (when I became a die-hard fan)
  • If Bill Parcells coaches in 2007, Dallas wins the Super Bowl-they were basically the same as the 2006 team. Game had passed Bill. I think Julius Jones made a comment about how happy he was that Parcells left.
  • Dallas is a playoff team in 2010 if Tony Romo doesn't get hurt- I think Dallas had one win at the time. They actually got better as the season went on.
  • If Dez "catches the ball" Dallas wins and ends up beating the Seahawks en route to the Super Bowl- There was still plenty of time left in that game for Rodgers and the Packers.
  • This one is going to piss a lot of you off- If Dallas gives Romo his job back in 2016 they win the Super Bowl- Dak had the locker room won and Romo would have been back in November. No way he could have stayed healthy for 8-10 consecutive games.
  • The Cowboys are a playoff team in 2017 if Zeke doesn't get suspended- They were 6-4 with Zeke and 3-3 without him. I think at best they would be 10-6. They would have lost the tiebreaker for the 6 seed to the Falcons, who they lost to and were also 10-6...no way Dallas wins that Falcons game with Zeke. It was bad all around.
Here is a fact though: If Parcells doesn't cut Quincy Carter there is probably no Tony Romo, the third greatest QB in franchise history and the one who made us relevant despite a poor roster 2011-2013.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Landry - Not trying to be dismissive, but I don't think anyone thought he was on top of his coaching game. Landry was not given the respect he had earned. That was the issue. There is a way to do such things for great people. Even Jerry said he regretted the offhand manner of that event.
Johnson - There will always be players who rankle under strong coaches. I don't think that a book written after someone leaves is a clear indication of people's feelings or of his effectiveness.