Compared to Dallas, Steelers who also play 3-4 generate a lot of pass rush.

NedK

Reaction score
In both the game against Indy and the one yesterday against Denver, Pittsburgh's D seemed very successful in their pass rush attempts. Is this because the Dallas D was still learning in '05? Because Zimmer was too passive? Because Dallas still doesn't have the personnel that makes for a good defense?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
or because it's just the playoffs and it means more to them...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
NedK said:
In both the game against Indy and the one yesterday against Denver, Pittsburgh's D seemed very successful in their pass rush attempts. Is this because the Dallas D was still learning in '05? Because Zimmer was too passive? Because Dallas still doesn't have the personnel that makes for a good defense?
You're the only Skins fan who comes here who doesn't take your medicine when you predict something.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
The most important players for this defense are Ware, Spears, Canty and Ferguson..... Of the four , three were rookies....

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I thought it was a fair question.

Need fast LBs who are very good in coverage and have very good footwork.
Need a real NT who demands double teams and is an adequate run stuffer.
Need very good safeties who play fairly disciplined.

Zimmer was indeed passive at times this season. There are several examples of this.

And with a young D combined with a DC taking on a new system, I am sure there was a bit of an adjustment period.

NedK

Reaction score
Hostile said:
You're the only Skins fan who comes here who doesn't take your medicine when you predict something.

Hos, I did come here after Washington routed the Cowboys 35-7. I hadn't predicted a score, but certainly did post stating that you have to be very afraid of Gibbs' big game record.

I also did come here after the Skins lost to the Seahawks.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
NedK said:
Hos, I did come here after Washington routed the Cowboys 35-7. I hadn't predicted a score, but certainly did post stating that you have to be very afraid of Gibbs' big game record.

I also did come here after the Skins lost to the Seahawks.
Not to take your medicine, to take a shot at us again.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
Hos, please ban him, please!! He's the worst of the trolls. I'm begging you man, for the love of God- actually, don't- we love busting him upside the head and he is a big coward- and to top it off he is the emodiment of the MIFBIS.

skinsngibbs4life

Reaction score
I dont think that it was as much of dallas not generating a pass rush, but more of how good pitt has made it look over the last two weeks.

pitt made two very good offenses look very inept the last two weeks.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Oops, didnt realize you were referring to NedK.
I wouldn't diss you without serious crap being slung.

That's all NedK slings. He's not here to talk football.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kingwhicker said:
Hos, please ban him, please!! He's the worst of the trolls. I'm begging you man, for the love of God- actually, don't- we love busting him upside the head and he is a big coward- and to top it off he is the emodiment of the MIFBIS.
You kill me.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Pittsburgh has veteran linebackers who have been playing in a 3-4 and can rush the passer. Dallas' linebackers consisted of a rookie pass-rusher who's still learning, a first-year starter inside and a couple of warm bodies (after Nguyen's injury). Give the Cowboys a pass-rushing linebacker on the opposite side from DeMarcus Ware and a little more experience from guys in the front seven such as Bradie James, Marcus Spears and Chris Canty, and Dallas will be among the best defenses at pressuring quarterbacks -- just as most 3-4 teams usually are.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
polamalu
porter
farrior
foote

they just have so many guys who can get to the QB it doesnt matter what they do

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
NedK said:

Troll...Dallas doesn't have 2 OLB who can pressure the QB, just 1. We need to get another one this year. Haggans and Farrior are a duo that combined for 19.5 sacks..Ware had 8, and the other OLB none got more than 2 I believe. There's your main answer.

Parcells likes the 3-4, he was going to it at some point. I think he decided just to force the issue last year, see where we were at with it, and then add some more parts this year. At some point, we were going to have to go through growing pains with it, and I guess it was this last year.

We were probably better suited to play the 4-3 this year, but by next year we should have the personell to proerly run the 3-4.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think when teams started to run the ball on us Dallas did have to back off on going after the QB, heck you had guys like Ware running right past the RB. Add to that losing 2 starting LB. Dallas had to get back to playing the run after all the best pass rush in the world is not going to help you when teams start shoving the ball down your throat.