Twitter: Comparing Cowboys off-season talent losses vs additions

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That is a huge loss of talent. In fact, it’s a loss of 8 starters. When you look at the loss of talent we’ve had this off-season vs the guys we either resigned or added in free agency, the draft sets up to be the highest stakes draft I have ever seen in Dallas.

Frankly, there‘s no way this team can be competitive in 2024 without either:
  1. Hitting a home run with the draft, gaining at least 2-3 starters with immediate positive impact.
  2. Have a really good draft coupled with some cheap but impactful free agents that contribute immediately.
If we’re being honest, is there a front office in the entire NFL that could pull that off? Certainly not in Dallas.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Think you meant to put addition. Lol hoping for a really good draft for the future.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Three options to improve are to use the draft, sign players that get cut after the draft, and trade for players after draft. We traded for Gilmore and Cooks last year. We have 11 draft picks in 2025 to assist with trades. Also, you have to hope some of the 2nd and 3rd year players improve and step up.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

That is a huge loss of talent. In fact, it’s a loss of 7 starters. When you look at the loss of talent we’ve had this off-season vs the guys we either resigned or added in free agency, the draft sets up to be the highest stakes draft I have ever seen in Dallas.

1. Hitting a home run with the draft, gaining at least 2-3 starters with immediate positive impact.
  2. Have a really good draft coupled with some cheap but impactful free agents that contribute immediately.
If we’re being honest, is there is front office in the entire NFL that could pull that off? Certainly not in Dallas.

Certainly not anywhere else, either.

rambo2

Reaction score

That is a huge loss of talent. In fact, it’s a loss of 7 starters. When you look at the loss of talent we’ve had this off-season vs the guys we either resigned or added in free agency, the draft sets up to be the highest stakes draft I have ever seen in Dallas.

If we’re being honest, is there is front office in the entire NFL that could pull that off? Certainly not in Dallas.

You should be happy. You don't like when the resign their own. You were complaining about the backup tackle they resigned. They have a good shot at getting 3 good players on their 1st 3 picks. The board looks good.

rambo2

Reaction score
We shall see, I think a very very ACTIVE draft to get talent would make us fans a bit happier
Not only the drafted players. They will sign some good undrafted players just like they always do.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Three options to improve are to use the draft, sign players that get cut after the draft, and trade for players after draft. We traded for Gilmore and Cooks last year. We have 11 draft picks in 2025 to assist with trades. Also, you have to hope some of the 2nd and 3rd year players improve and step up.
The Cowboys acquired both Cooks and Gilmore BEFORE the draft last year. Last off-season was certainly more aggressive in the FA period.

Adreme

Reaction score

We have seen historically Dallas is a very good drafting team but the kind of draft being described happens by one team every couple years. They are very rare because its hard to have multiple high impact rookies and a decent core underneath that. Baltimore did one in 2018 and NO in 2019 and the Jets 2 years ago and those are the only ones on that level that come to mind.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I still say every one of the lost players got more than they are worth.

Thing is, did the FO not know the day when they would lose that depth was coming, and if they did, why not be more aggressive over the past several years to try to win then?

Did they leave themselves short on the field so they would only have cap problems instead of major cap problems? Why do that?

Or is there just no real plan at all, just evaluate every single player as to if they are a bargain or not? That may be the case, as they routinely go into seasons with obvious gaping holes. If they don’t find a deal, they don’t bother to address it, and hope a mid to late round pick works out as immediate help.

Either way, whatever they once termed as “secret sauce” isn’t working, and they don’t appear to be willing to consider change despite the results.

It’s nearly unbelievable that they are getting away with it, but it’s clear to me that if they don’t actually start drafting well as opposed to trying to talk that narrative into existence, it’ll show up on the field quite soon.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

We..are....doomed.....

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still say every one of the lost players got more than they are worth.

Thing is, did the FO not know the day when they would lose that depth was coming, and if they did, why not be more aggressive over the past several years to try to win then?

Did they leave themselves short on the field so they would only have cap problems instead of major cap problems? Why do that?

Or is there just no real plan at all, just evaluate every single player as to if they are a bargain or not? That may be the case, as they routinely go into seasons with obvious gaping holes. If they don’t find a deal, they don’t bother to address it, and hope a mid to late round pick works out as immediate help.

Either way, whatever they once termed as “secret sauce” isn’t working, and they don’t appear to be willing to consider change despite the results.

It’s nearly unbelievable that they are getting away with it, but it’s clear to me that if they don’t actually start drafting well as opposed to trying to talk that narrative into existence, it’ll show up on the field quite soon.
Well said. This front office is one of the least strategic and proactive in pro sports. In essence, this team has become a sports marketing machine, not an organization that is completely committed to winning a championship.

One reason this is true is the Jones boys don’t know how to build a championship roster in the modern cap era. They have proven year after year - for decades - they don’t know how to do it and they can’t admit their ignorance. So they do what they do know how to do- sales and marketing.

As we approached the 2023 season, it seemed to me that the Cowboys FO was approaching it differently. The pre-draft trades for Gilmore and Cooks, the new contract for Zack Martin…there was a different feel to last year. Last year was as close to “all in” the Jones FO has been in a long time,

This year - so far anyway - feels like they are anything but “all in”. If there’s a strategic plan here, I’m not seeing it yet. Maybe after the draft it will start to make sense. But I doubt it.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No way around it. They got their arse destroyed in free agency. While they have opportunity in the draft, so does the other 31. I’m guessing they are below average in # of picks but if I’m wrong, my bad. I’d say they’ve had a horrible offseason thus far. Losing starters, a vanity driven franchise, a silent, neutered, and lame duck coach, and team leaders who are crappy examples.

I’m hopeful all their draft picks will be hall of famers. Let’s ride!

rambo2

Reaction score
We have seen historically Dallas is a very good drafting team but the kind of draft being described happens by one team every couple years. They are very rare because its hard to have multiple high impact rookies and a decent core underneath that. Baltimore did one in 2018 and NO in 2019 and the Jets 2 years ago and those are the only ones on that level that come to mind.
This draft is very good. The problem will be that there will be good players available for every team.