Comparing Murray and OJ Simpson Circa 1973

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I have always maintained that O.J. Simpson in 1973 is the greatest rushing accomplishment of all time. He was the first RB to break 2000 yards, but he did it in 14 games. If he had 2 more games in 1973 and kept up the pace he had set his total would have been 2289 yards.

Murray is on pace for 2144 yards, which would break Eric Dickerson's NFL record of 2105.

But I want you to see how amazing OJ's season was for just a second. Murray is 210 yards ahead of the next closest rusher. His 670 yards equaled OJs 1973 feat of 5 straight games over 100 yards to begin a season. Here is the difference though. OJs 5 game total was 813 yards. A full 143 yards ahead of Murray's pace.

OJs 6th game was a mere 55 yards, his worst of the 1973 season. That would put him at 868 yards for 6 games. To match that pace Murray would "only" have to put up 198 yards against the Seahawks this week. Now, I'm not going to say that is impossible, but you can see impossible from there.

I know everyone hates OJ after the double murder skate he did, but you hopefully realize that at one time that guy really was "The Juice." They called his OL "The Electric Company" because they carried The Juice. I still remember announcers saying "The Juice is loose" as he broke runs.

Remarkable accomplishment. It is sad what he devolved into.

NickZepp

Reaction score
OJ's forever going to be tainted because he's a complete creep and ***hole. But what he did in the NFL was amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gameover

Reaction score
I've heard Marv Levy say Thurman was better because he had more yards than Simpson. That was back when Thurman was coming up for the HOF. He also des credited OJ as pass catcher out back field. I don't think Levy belongs in the HOF. I would definitely put in dan reeves before him.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Yes that was 1994.....I remember that very well.

Oh, and I wanted to point something else out too. Barry Sanders actually got 2,000 in 14 games as well back in 1997. His total for the season was 2,053. He had 53 in the first 2 games, and an even 2,000 in the last 14......just saying.

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
I have always maintained that O.J. Simpson in 1973 is the greatest rushing accomplishment of all time. He was the first RB to break 2000 yards, but he did it in 14 games. If he had 2 more games in 1973 and kept up the pace he had set his total would have been 2289 yards.

Murray is on pace for 2144 yards, which would break Eric Dickerson's NFL record of 2105.

But I want you to see how amazing OJ's season was for just a second. Murray is 210 yards ahead of the next closest rusher. His 670 yards equaled OJs 1973 feat of 5 straight games over 100 yards to begin a season. Here is the difference though. OJs 5 game total was 813 yards. A full 143 yards ahead of Murray's pace.

OJs 6th game was a mere 55 yards, his worst of the 1973 season. That would put him at 868 yards for 6 games. To match that pace Murray would "only" have to put up 198 yards against the Seahawks this week. Now, I'm not going to say that is impossible, but you can see impossible from there.

I know everyone hates OJ after the double murder skate he did, but you hopefully realize that at one time that guy really was "The Juice." They called his OL "The Electric Company" because they carried The Juice. I still remember announcers saying "The Juice is loose" as he broke runs.

Give OJ this Oline and he would have had 2500

TheFinisher

Reaction score
OJ has a legitimate case as the GOAT but people shy away from even talking about it because of the obvious.

I get sideways looks when I talk about what a great running back he was.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Jim Brown and probably Walter Payton are the two I would put above OJ. But the view on OJ will forever be rightfully tainted.

Macnalty

Reaction score
I never saw Jim Brown during the day only is films, I did see all the others from Gale Sayers to Barry Sanders,Marcus Dupree, OJ, Floyd Little, John Riggins, Eric Dickerson etc. All great runners but for my money Earl Campbell in his early days was unstoppable like no one else I had ever seen.

2much2soon

Reaction score
I still say if Bo Jackson had not got hurt and played football full time everyone would agree he was the best ever. That guy was just awesome.

Dude, really?

Because that is always how I have felt. And I have gotten sneers over that on here.

Bo was an unreal athletic, physical force. Best athlete I have ever seen. He could (and did) Dominate on the football field and the baseball field.

rags747

Reaction score

I would have to say that OJ is still the best RB I have ever watched. Home Home Run Speed and could turn on a dime without cutting back on the speed. He would be absolute brilliance behind our zone blocking OL. Tony D always seemed to me to be the same type runner as the Juice, but the Juice was bigger. Both were great gliding type runners.

perrykemp

Reaction score

This is how good OJ was that season...

The Bills passed for a total of 1236 yards... 4 TDs and 14 Interceptions. Their QB had a 45.1 QB rating.

Despite having an epically bad passing game where everyone in the stadium knew who was getting the ball on just about every play, OJ still averaged 6.0 yards per carry! on just 332 carries.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
This is a football thread comparing OJ's record season and Murray's pace so far. Nice. Do not discuss the legal, moral or ethical issues surrounding one O J Simpson please. If we aren't going to discuss Murray any further then the thread will be moved to the NFL Zone.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dude, really?

Because that is always how I have felt. And I have gotten sneers over that on here.

Bo was an unreal athletic, physical force. Best athlete I have ever seen. He could (and did) Dominate on the football field and the baseball field.

I am very serious. I saw that guy live when he was at Auburn, and to this day I have never seen an athlete like him. I said to one of my best friends, "That guy is a god among boys out here."

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I never saw Jim Brown during the day only is films, I did see all the others from Gale Sayers to Barry Sanders,Marcus Dupree, OJ, Floyd Little, John Riggins, Eric Dickerson etc. All great runners but for my money Earl Campbell in his early days was unstoppable like no one else I had ever seen.
I thought Marcus Dupree was going to set the world on fire.