Comparing Murray and OJ Simpson Circa 1973

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
I thought Marcus Dupree was going to set the world on fire.

he would have if not going to oklahoma and staying closer to home.

barry pulled a fast one sending billy to talk to him..

great documentary on netflix..

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Duane Thomas was a glider also, unbelievable talent but a 5 cent head. OJ had it all but Duane could have been as great. What a waste.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It would be nice for Murray to get 100 yards and see him tie the record with Jim Brown, but against the Seahawks it is going to be almost impossible. I think the most yards any RB has had against them is like 34, that is just crazy.

Murray and this oline really will start to be considered special if they pull off a 100 yard game for Murray, even if we lose at least that would be nice.

Ratmatt

Reaction score
I have always maintained that O.J. Simpson in 1973 is the greatest rushing accomplishment of all time. He was the first RB to break 2000 yards, but he did it in 14 games. If he had 2 more games in 1973 and kept up the pace he had set his total would have been 2289 yards.

Murray is on pace for 2144 yards, which would break Eric Dickerson's NFL record of 2105.

But I want you to see how amazing OJ's season was for just a second. Murray is 210 yards ahead of the next closest rusher. His 670 yards equaled OJs 1973 feat of 5 straight games over 100 yards to begin a season. Here is the difference though. OJs 5 game total was 813 yards. A full 143 yards ahead of Murray's pace.

OJs 6th game was a mere 55 yards, his worst of the 1973 season. That would put him at 868 yards for 6 games. To match that pace Murray would "only" have to put up 198 yards against the Seahawks this week. Now, I'm not going to say that is impossible, but you can see impossible from there.

I know everyone hates OJ after the double murder skate he did, but you hopefully realize that at one time that guy really was "The Juice." They called his OL "The Electric Company" because they carried The Juice. I still remember announcers saying "The Juice is loose" as he broke runs.

Remarkable accomplishment. It is sad what he devolved into.

I totally agree, O.J. Simpsons 1973 season was the best rushing performance ever.

rags747

Reaction score
Duane Thomas was a glider also, unbelievable talent but a 5 cent head. OJ had it all but Duane could have been as great. What a waste.

Love the sig and yes Duane could have been a great one, made everyone forget about rookie of the year Calvin Hill. Calvin 1st rnd 69 and Duane 1st rnd in 70...Boy people would have been screaming around here.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Murray is a really good RB, that said, this OL is blowing open holes a truck could drive through. I must say Murray has great vision, but regardless of his numbers, I can't compare him to the all-time greats until I see another RB get significant carries in this offense.

Avenger

Reaction score
I have always maintained that O.J. Simpson in 1973 is the greatest rushing accomplishment of all time. He was the first RB to break 2000 yards, but he did it in 14 games. If he had 2 more games in 1973 and kept up the pace he had set his total would have been 2289 yards.

Murray is on pace for 2144 yards, which would break Eric Dickerson's NFL record of 2105.

But I want you to see how amazing OJ's season was for just a second. Murray is 210 yards ahead of the next closest rusher. His 670 yards equaled OJs 1973 feat of 5 straight games over 100 yards to begin a season. Here is the difference though. OJs 5 game total was 813 yards. A full 143 yards ahead of Murray's pace.

OJs 6th game was a mere 55 yards, his worst of the 1973 season. That would put him at 868 yards for 6 games. To match that pace Murray would "only" have to put up 198 yards against the Seahawks this week. Now, I'm not going to say that is impossible, but you can see impossible from there.

I know everyone hates OJ after the double murder skate he did, but you hopefully realize that at one time that guy really was "The Juice." They called his OL "The Electric Company" because they carried The Juice. I still remember announcers saying "The Juice is loose" as he broke runs.

Remarkable accomplishment. It is sad what he devolved into.

I love what Murray's doing this year, but he's no OJ Simpson. Not even close.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I watched that 73 season; luckily where I was I was able to see most of those games.

As was pointed out at that time Ferguson was not allowed to do much passing; everyone knew what was coming and still he went and ran all over them. That O line might have been the greatest run blocking line in history. Over the next few years they humiliated just about every top D line- got 227 yards rushing against the Steelers in 1975. Joe Greene said that was the most humiliated they felt in that entire period.

I remember the last game of that season; the announcers talking about how they really were so lucky to be here at this game. They knew they were looking at something unique in the history of the NFL.

as far as Rushing goes, no feat has ever come really all that close to OJ's 1973 season.

Macnalty

Reaction score
This is a football thread comparing OJ's record season and Murray's pace so far. Nice. Do not discuss the legal, moral or ethical issues surrounding one O J Simpson please. If we aren't going to discuss Murray any further then the thread will be moved to the NFL Zone.

Murray has the benefit of a QB who can be productive, seems memory serves me that Ferguson was very average. OJ was unstoppable that year even with some of the games being played outside in awful weather. If DeMarco hits the century mark again this weekend he will cement his legacy.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Murray has the benefit of a QB who can be productive, seems memory serves me that Ferguson was very average. OJ was unstoppable that year even with some of the games being played outside in awful weather. If DeMarco hits the century mark again this weekend he will cement his legacy.

I'm certainly not comparing the two of them. They really are two different style backs anyway. I'm happy with the guy. Ferguson was inconsistent BTW.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I'm certainly not comparing the two of them. They really are two different style backs anyway. I'm happy with the guy. Ferguson was inconsistent BTW.

I'm not old enough to remember him, but just by looking at his numbers I could tell he wasn't consistent. That guy had the good fortune of being a teammate of O.J. Simpson and Eric Dickerson. I can't think of anybody else right off that has had the privilege of playing with two 2,000-yard rushers.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I'm not old enough to remember him, but just by looking at his numbers I could tell he wasn't consistent. That guy had the good fortune of being a teammate of O.J. Simpson and Eric Dickerson. I can't think of anybody else right off that has had the privilege of playing with two 2,000-yard rushers.

I was trying to be polite. :sheepish:

NickZepp

Reaction score
Joe Ferguson had some good years, but he was a rookie in 1973. Passing the ball in the 70s was hard till the rules changed in 1978. Staubach and Roman Gabriel led the league in TD passes that year with 23.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
It would be nice for Murray to get 100 yards and see him tie the record with Jim Brown, but against the Seahawks it is going to be almost impossible. I think the most yards any RB has had against them is like 34, that is just crazy.

Murray and this oline really will start to be considered special if they pull off a 100 yard game for Murray, even if we lose at least that would be nice.

I don't think it's impossible this is the best Oline and RB the Hawks will have faced so far, Murray can get a 100.