CFZ Comparing the strengths and weaknesses of 23 and 24 rosters

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know that our current 53 man roster is not really truly finished. There will be some depth/fringe type players added for a while but for the most part we know what most roster spots will be in 2024.

Thought it would be interesting to compare the strengths and weaknesses of last year’s 12-5, NFC East Champ, #2 seed and early exit team to this year’s 2024 roster as it stands now.

First the depth chart for the 2023 Cowboys and what their strengths and weaknesses were: (I included some key depth players on defense)
QB Dak Prescott. LDE DeMarcus Lawrence/Dorance Armstrong
RB Tony Pollard. LDT Osa Odighizhua
WR Cedee Lamb. RDT Mazi Smith/J.Hankins
WR Michael Gallup. RDE/LB Micah Parsons
WR Brandin Cooks. MLB Damone Clark/LVE
TE Jake Ferguson. OLB Marquese Bell
LT Tyron Smith S Jayron Kearse
LG Tyler Smith. S Donovan Wilson
C Tyler Biadaz LCB Daron Bland
RG Zack Martin. RCB Stephon Gilmore
RT Terance Steele. NCB Jourdan Lewis

2023 - DEFENSE:
Strengths: Defense ranked 5th overall, great pass rush, forcing turnovers in games where we had the lead, corners in coverage​
Weaknesses: Stopping a good running game, tackling in space, holding opponents when needing a stop late.​
2023 Defensive Starters no longer here: LB LVE, DT Jonathan Hankins, DE Dorance Armstrong
2023 OFFENSE
Strengths: Offense ranked 5th overall, Dak had 36 passing TDs, 9 pics, Cedee Lamb led league in receptions, Cowboys #1 in scoring pts​
Weaknesses: Running game was 15th in yds pg, offense struggled more on the road, especially if behind.​
2023 Offensive Starters no longer here: LT Tyron Smith, RB Tony Pollard, WR Michael Gallup, C Tyler Biadaz

Here’s the 2024 projected starters and big contributors:
QB Dak Prescott. LDE DeMarcus Lawrence
RB Rico Dowdle. LDT Osa Odighizhua
WR Cedee Lamb. RDT Mazi Smith/L. Joseph/J. Phillips
WR Jalen Tolbert. RDE Marshawn Kneeland
WR Brandin Cooks. MLB Eric Kendricks
TE Jake Ferguson. OLB Micah Parsons
LT Tyler Guyton OLB Damone Clark
C Cooper Bebee S Malik Hooker
RG Zack Martin. RCB Trevon Diggs
RT Terance Steele. LCB Caelon Carson

2024 DEFENSE: (on paper)
Strengths: Any D that has Micah Parsons, DLaw, and Trevon Diggs has a head start.​
Weaknesses: Pass rush looks light, Parsons may be doubled, can they stop the run? Hurts to have Bland miss 6-8 weeks.​
New starters on defense: LB Eric Kendricks, DE Marshawn Kneeland, CB Caelon Carson​
2024 OFFENSE
Strengths: Dak is a solid QB, Lamb is a big weapon, TE Ferguson is a young star and young OL may get better as season goes on.​
Weaknesses: Can we run the ball and protect the QB with two OL rookies this year? Weakness at RB makes running game a problem.​
2024 New Starters offense: LT Tyler Guyton, WR Jalen Tolbert, RB Zeke Elliott or Rico D, C Cooper Bebee

Is the 2024 roster “better” than 2023? Obviously too early to tell, but on paper it is not as strong. Anytime you START 4 rookies - two each in both sides of the ball there will be growing pains. Huge question marks in the running game and the defense s’s ability to stop the run. But this is still a good if not great roster.

How do you compare the 2023 roster to this year? Better? Or not?

Mikexike

Reaction score
I know that our current 53 man roster is not really truly finished. There will be some depth/fringe type players added for a while but for the most part we know what most roster spots will be in 2024.

Thought it would be interesting to compare the strengths and weaknesses of last year’s 12-5, NFC East Champ, #2 seed and early exit team to this year’s 2024 roster as it stands now.

First the depth chart for the 2023 Cowboys and what their strengths and weaknesses were: (I included some key depth players on defense)

2023 - DEFENSE:
Strengths: Defense ranked 5th overall, great pass rush, forcing turnovers in games where we had the lead, corners in coverage​
Weaknesses: Stopping a good running game, tackling in space, holding opponents when needing a stop late.​
2023 Defensive Starters no longer here: LB LVE, DT Jonathan Hankins, DE Dorance Armstrong
2023 OFFENSE
Strengths: Offense ranked 5th overall, Dak had 36 passing TDs, 9 pics, Cedee Lamb led league in receptions, Cowboys #1 in scoring pts​
Weaknesses: Running game was 15th in yds pg, offense struggled more on the road, especially if behind.​
2023 Offensive Starters no longer here: LT Tyron Smith, RB Tony Pollard, WR Michael Gallup, C Tyler Biadaz

WR Michael Gallup. RDE Marshawn Kneeland
LT Tyron Smith OLB Damone Clark
C Tyler Biadaz S Malik Hooker

Strengths: Any D that has Micah Parsons, DLaw, and Trevon Diggs has a head start.​
Weaknesses: Pass rush looks light, Parsons may be doubled, can they stop the run? Hurts to have Bland miss 6-8 weeks.​
New starters on defense: LB Eric Kendricks, DE Marshawn Kneeland, CB Caelon Carson​
2024 OFFENSE
Strengths: Dak is a solid QB, Lamb is a big weapon, TE Ferguson is a young star and young OL may get better as season goes on.​
Weaknesses: Can we run the ball and protect the QB with two OL rookies this year? Weakness at RB makes running game a problem.​
2024 New Starters offense: LT Tyler Guyton, WR Jalen Tolbert, RB Zeke Elliott or Rico D, C Cooper Bebee

Is the 2024 roster “better” than 2023? Obviously too early to tell, but on paper it is not as strong. Anytime you START 4 rookies - two each in both sides of the ball there will be growing pains. Huge question marks in the running game and the defense s’s ability to stop the run. But this is still a good if not great roster.

very well thought out post, the 24 roster needs to be fixed, no more pollard and gallup and biadaz

24 roster will be better with the rookies.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

2023 - DEFENSE:
2023 OFFENSE

WR Michael Gallup. RDE Marshawn Kneeland
LT Tyron Smith OLB Damone Clark
C Tyler Biadaz S Malik Hooker

2024 OFFENSE

We know the strengths and weaknesses of last year’s team but that team is not close to the same one in less than 2 weeks. So, we have very little is not any, idea the strengths and weaknesses of this team. Circle back around Thanksgiving.

Praxit

Reaction score
...good comparison write up, Bullet.

I'm basically calling this year teams and last a draw.

We did lose some quality players on defense. But the trade and draft brought some light in those areas.

LVE will be missed, but Hendricks gives the needed confidence. Hanky is another, but we got Joseph and Phillips. Mazi still work in progress.

Offensively, Guyton is huge addition. Hoffman/Bebbe look promising. Everything else is in place.

My biggest concern is the schedule, its brutal.

Still set on 10-7 with needing help into playoffs.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Good post Bob.

To me the biggest concern as far as weaknesses go is in this teams depth. WR drops towards the bottom of the league without Lamb. Our Pass rush is towards the bottom of the league without Parsons. DT seems like OSA with a few Jags although they do seem to be jags with upside. CB Ill feel a lot better when Bland is back, but worry about him being out early while Diggs really hasnt played football in close to a year. OL depth gets talked up, but I think there would still be a massive downgrade if either Smith or Martin go down. Missing either of those guys with two rookies on the OL would worry me.

Strengths: I think this defense should be more well rounded, and some players at all three levels. I think the starting 22 when fully healthy are capable of giving anyone in the league a good game. No reason the passing game should not be towards the top of the league once again, assuming health again.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good post Bob.

To me the biggest concern as far as weaknesses go is in this teams depth. WR drops towards the bottom of the league without Lamb. Our Pass rush is towards the bottom of the league without Parsons. DT seems like OSA with a few Jags although they do seem to be jags with upside. CB Ill feel a lot better when Bland is back, but worry about him being out early while Diggs really hasnt played football in close to a year. OL depth gets talked up, but I think there would still be a massive downgrade if either Smith or Martin go down. Missing either of those guys with two rookies on the OL would worry me.

Strengths: I think this defense should be more well rounded, and some players at all three levels. I think the starting 22 when fully healthy are capable of giving anyone in the league a good game. No reason the passing game should not be towards the top of the league once again, assuming health again.
Well said and good point about the depth. No team can ever count on just their initial starting 22. Injuries happen, it’s just a matter of how many and where. I think the two lines, especially the DL is very thin.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Good topic someone mentioned this to me about how we started the 23 season vs how we'll be going into it this year. I think this year's roster is far much better in certain areas. WR, DT, LB for sure

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
2024 > 2023

The 2023 losses weren't as big as the media lead on. Roster additions easily outweigh what we loss. Especially if you consider Diggs and Overshown returning.
I think the potential is there for this to be true, but I think you're undervaluing what we actually lost. I'm a huge Guyton fan, but year 1 expecting him to replace an all pro is possible but not likely. Dorrance Armstrong really doesnt have a replacement on the roster yet. I'm a bigger fan of Beebe year 2 than year 1, but I'm in the minority on that. Diggs is still a bit of an unknown having not played football in nearly a year. Reports seem to be good on him, but they were on Steele this time last year too.

Its just too early for me to declare the roster additions outweigh the losses just yet. Maybe thats true as we get towards the end of the year and the rookies have some experience under their belts, Bland returns to the field and Diggs gets some snaps, etc. Hope they prove me wrong, but I'm skeptical of that being the case week 1.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Good topic someone mentioned this to me about how we started the 23 season vs how we'll be going into it this year. I think this year's roster is far much better in certain areas. WR, DT, LB for sure
LB I can absolutely see, WR and DT I'm not as optimistic on just yet. DT feels like its basically the same as last year although I think Jordan Phillips is a bit of a wild card that could have some upside to him. WR is basically the same group. I'd expect a step forward from Tolbert, but it also seems like Cooks is a declining asset. Maybe he rebounds in year two of this system, but his yards per game have gone from 74 to 64 to 53 to 41 last season.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
LB I can absolutely see, WR and DT I'm not as optimistic on just yet. DT feels like its basically the same as last year although I think Jordan Phillips is a bit of a wild card that could have some upside to him. WR is basically the same group. I'd expect a step forward from Tolbert, but it also seems like Cooks is a declining asset. Maybe he rebounds in year two of this system, but his yards per game have gone from 74 to 64 to 53 to 41 last season.
Dang!!! You crushed my dreams. I just think all those small names were better than one Gallup. OL depth I forgot to mention

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coogs I think our LBs are way better than last year’s undersized and overwhelmed bunch. WR? Is Jalen Tolbert better than Gallup was? Maybe. Needs to prove it. DT? Mazi still looks like a big question mark at best. The additions of Linval Joseph and Phillips are good additions but that’s kind of relative. We went from super weak to maybe decent. We will see.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Coogs I think our LBs are way better than last year’s undersized and overwhelmed bunch. WR? Is Jalen Tolbert better than Gallup was? Maybe. Needs to prove it. DT? Mazi still looks like a big question mark at best. The additions of Linval Joseph and Phillips are good additions but that’s kind of relative. We went from super weak to maybe decent. We will see.
You're right about that

bigE79

Reaction score

2023 - DEFENSE:
2023 OFFENSE

RB Rico Dowdle. LDT Osa Odighizhua
WR Jalen Tolbert. RDE Marshawn Kneeland
LT Tyler Guyton OLB Damone Clark
C Cooper Bebee S Malik Hooker

2024 OFFENSE

Good post Bob,I'm leaning towards a little worse than last year mainly because of the 2 rookies on the OL, especially at LT,not saying he isn't good but the 1st few games could be brutal because of who's he's lining up against...jmo.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good post Bob,I'm leaning towards a little worse than last year mainly because of the 2 rookies on the OL, especially at LT,not saying he isn't good but the 1st few games could be brutal because of who's he's lining up against...jmo.
Yeah going into our season opener, we are starting 4 rookies, 2 on each side of the ball. As good as I think Guyton and Bebee will be, we cannot assume that at 22 these guys are as good as they probably will in a year or two.

And starting a rookie 5th round CB? I like Carson a lot but I would like him better right now as the guy behind Deron Bland, not the starter. I really like what I saw from Marshawn Kneeland in PS games…but that ain’t the regular season.

I‘m excited to see to how these guys do next weekend and through the season. Rookies can be a roller coaster ride.

birdwells1

Reaction score
...good comparison write up, Bullet.

I'm basically calling this year teams and last a draw.

We did lose some quality players on defense. But the trade and draft brought some light in those areas.

LVE will be missed, but Hendricks gives the needed confidence. Hanky is another, but we got Joseph and Phillips. Mazi still work in progress.

Offensively, Guyton is huge addition. Hoffman/Bebbe look promising. Everything else is in place.

My biggest concern is the schedule, its brutal.

Still set on 10-7 with needing help into playoffs.
He had 1 good season and that was his rookie year, the Joneses chose him over Bobby Wagner at least 2 times.