CFZ Comparing the strengths and weaknesses of 23 and 24 rosters

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The pass defense was the Cowboys' defensive problem last year, not the run defense. The run game issues were a product of not being able to cover anybody, more often than not.

The improved LB room should make a difference, but there's a serious lack of pass rushers.
lol...Does your boss know you are here hanging out instead of working?

(just pulling your leg)

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Smith could not be counted on and he wasn’t dominant anymore. I say that makes that even.

Carson< Gillmore (Bland will return)
Beebe > Biadasz
Tolbert = or > a washed Gallup
Phillips+Joseph> Hankins
Kendricks > LVE
Overshown will be an impact player.
Diggs is a top 3 corner that can change the game.

RB is the significant drop off and I will rue not getting Henry for a 2nd time.
Don’t forget Breeland vs Dorance, Fowler, and Sam Williams

AstroPilota

Reaction score
Nice thread! As of right now, here's my take:
- OL room will show some growing pains, but I think by mid-season, the OL will be better than the 23 version. Nod to the 24 roster.
- RB room is weak, but good blocking up front can make up for a lot. If Cook has anything left in the tank, we might be in for a surprise. To be fair, Pollard got no blocking last year. Wash
- WR room has improved. This group is solid. Lets hope that Lamb can hit the ground running, if not, it'll be a little rough the first couple games. Nod to the 24 roster.
- TE room is about the same. Ferg is developing into an upper-tier TE. Spann-Ford looks very promising. Nod to the 24 roster.
- QB room is the same. Wash

- DL room got a little weaker via losses, but hopefully Kneeland can step up. Nod to 23 roster.
- LB room. Huge upgrades here, we will actually have LB's play at the position. Nod to 24 roster.
- Secondary room is solid. Will miss Bland until he gets back, but this group is very good, and shouldn't have to do all the tackling. Nod to 24 roster.

Special teams would be a Wash.

I think overall - the '24 roster is a little better. IMO, the biggest denominator for this season will be the coaching staff. We had a much easier schedule for '23. What will Zimmer's impact be? We will need to see 4-5 games to get a handle on this team. I wish Nick Chubb was active for the Cleveland game so we could get a better look at the DL.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
They didn't fail. Williams was supposed to be that guy.
And you dont see the flaw in that strategy though? I actually like the upside Williams has, but one injury to a middle of the road player has completely destroyed our depth for pass rushers. This is exactly why the Cowboys have to be more active in at least the later stages of free agency to bring in guys to camp to compete with guys like Wheat and Golston for those final spots for just $2-3M. That is where they have failed. We gloss over it because we are so excited about many of the young guys and what they've done in camp, but this team has some serious depth issues at multiple positions this year.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think you hit all the key points. The weaknesses last year were stopping the run and running the football. I think last year's struggles running the football were more offensive line than the RBs. This year I think the OL will be better, but is there a RB who can step up and give us a running game?

Last year, guys like Steele, Biadasz and even Tyron struggled opening holes for the RB.. I don't think the WRs and TEs did a good job blocking either. We'll have to see if Steele is really back to form, if Beebe gives us more than Biadasz, and how Guyton does, but I think given time these guys will improve the running game some. I do not anticipate any long gains on the ground from any of these RBs. I suspect it will be more of a grind it out ground game.

The Cowboys made some changes to the defense to stop the run. They have legitimate LBs now, which should help. They added some bigger players to the middle of the DL. Kneeland already seems like a good run defender. However, Joseph is 35 and on the downside of his career. I don't know what Phillips has left, and then there is Mazi. He didn't play much in the preseason ad when he did he only looked marginally better than last year. But the biggest problem for the Cowboys stopping the run was outside. I do think having LBs instead of safeties to take on the blocks of TEs and WRs will help. I hate to say it but when all is said and done the run defense is going to come down to how Mazi plays.

For Dallas this year there are two players that need to step up and play well. Mazi and Tolbert.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
but this team has some serious depth issues at multiple positions this year.
Other than DE, what all those multiple positions? I just don't see that at all and can't name one other position that needs more depth now. Are there positions that could use a talent upgrade? Of course. Every team does. But the depth is there for the Cowboys. I especially think the Cowboys are pretty deep at OL, WR, LB, S, CB, QB, TE and even RB after the Cook addition.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Other than DE, what all those multiple positions? I just don't see that at all and can't name one other position that needs more depth now. Are there positions that could use a talent upgrade? Of course. Every team does. But the depth is there for the Cowboys. I especially think the Cowboys are pretty deep at OL, WR, LB, S, CB, QB, TE and even RB after the Cook addition.
You're absolutely right that its unrealistic for any team to be completely covered at every position. But I do worry about

WR - I think this team is CeeDee or bust at the position. Cooks is OK, but seems to be in decline for his career. I'd rather him be the 3rd option at WR instead of the #2. If Tolbert really can step up and be that #2 type receiver I'll change my tune on the position, but I think we are expecting a lot counting on him going from a possible cut candidate to end last season to legitimate starter caliber player after camp.

RB - I guess it's fair to say they have depth at the position, my bigger issue is that the top of the depth chart are guys that would be considered depth on pretty much every other team in the league.

TE - From a blocking perspective I think they are in good shape. If anything happens to Ferg though I think Dak losing his security blanket underneath could be a major factor. I'm just not confident in Schoon the receiver to be that guy. Granted this is probably true of most teams at the TE position, I think its more important for the Cowboys this year for a couple reasons.....1 I simply dont trust the receivers outside of Lamb so TE could be a major factor in the pass game. 2 I can see a lot of two TE sets this year with a rookie LT so both Schoon and Stephens could be expected to see a higher volume of snaps than most other teams backups.

CB - This one worries me more so with Bland being out. Reports are that Diggs has looked pretty good, but I do worry still simply because he hasnt played football in nearly a year now. Not saying he wont have a great season by the time its all over, but I'm not expecting him to be 100% out of the gate. Carson I get has potential, but CB often takes rookies time to adjust to the NFL, even Diggs as a high pick and as talented as he was got burnt often his rookie year. As mentioned though by end of season this could be a top unit in the league, but I expect this unit to take some lumps early on.

The good news is there is potential for all these positions to work out OK, I would have just loved for this team to have looked at getting a few extra veteran bodies in camp at some of these positions. RB I would have preferred a better starter, but if the OL can hit its potential they should be OK.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I know that our current 53 man roster is not really truly finished. There will be some depth/fringe type players added for a while but for the most part we know what most roster spots will be in 2024.

Thought it would be interesting to compare the strengths and weaknesses of last year’s 12-5, NFC East Champ, #2 seed and early exit team to this year’s 2024 roster as it stands now.

First the depth chart for the 2023 Cowboys and what their strengths and weaknesses were: (I included some key depth players on defense)
QB Dak Prescott. LDE DeMarcus Lawrence/Dorance Armstrong
RB Tony Pollard. LDT Osa Odighizhua
WR Cedee Lamb. RDT Mazi Smith/J.Hankins
WR Michael Gallup. RDE/LB Micah Parsons
WR Brandin Cooks. MLB Damone Clark/LVE
TE Jake Ferguson. OLB Marquese Bell
LT Tyron Smith S Jayron Kearse
LG Tyler Smith. S Donovan Wilson
C Tyler Biadaz LCB Daron Bland
RG Zack Martin. RCB Stephon Gilmore
RT Terance Steele. NCB Jourdan Lewis

2023 - DEFENSE:
Strengths: Defense ranked 5th overall, great pass rush, forcing turnovers in games where we had the lead, corners in coverage​
Weaknesses: Stopping a good running game, tackling in space, holding opponents when needing a stop late.​
2023 Defensive Starters no longer here: LB LVE, DT Jonathan Hankins, DE Dorance Armstrong
2023 OFFENSE
Strengths: Offense ranked 5th overall, Dak had 36 passing TDs, 9 pics, Cedee Lamb led league in receptions, Cowboys #1 in scoring pts​
Weaknesses: Running game was 15th in yds pg, offense struggled more on the road, especially if behind.​
2023 Offensive Starters no longer here: LT Tyron Smith, RB Tony Pollard, WR Michael Gallup, C Tyler Biadaz

Here’s the 2024 projected starters and big contributors:
QB Dak Prescott. LDE DeMarcus Lawrence
RB Rico Dowdle. LDT Osa Odighizhua
WR Cedee Lamb. RDT Mazi Smith/L. Joseph/J. Phillips
WR Jalen Tolbert. RDE Marshawn Kneeland
WR Brandin Cooks. MLB Eric Kendricks
TE Jake Ferguson. OLB Micah Parsons
LT Tyler Guyton OLB Damone Clark
LG Tyler Smith. S Donovan Wilson
C Cooper Bebee S Malik Hooker
RG Zack Martin. RCB Trevon Diggs
RT Terance Steele. LCB Caelon Carson

2024 DEFENSE: (on paper)
Strengths: Any D that has Micah Parsons, DLaw, and Trevon Diggs has a head start.​
Weaknesses: Pass rush looks light, Parsons may be doubled, can they stop the run? Hurts to have Bland miss 6-8 weeks.​
New starters on defense: LB Eric Kendricks, DE Marshawn Kneeland, CB Caelon Carson​
2024 OFFENSE
Strengths: Dak is a solid QB, Lamb is a big weapon, TE Ferguson is a young star and young OL may get better as season goes on.​
Weaknesses: Can we run the ball and protect the QB with two OL rookies this year? Weakness at RB makes running game a problem.​
2024 New Starters offense: LT Tyler Guyton, WR Jalen Tolbert, RB Zeke Elliott or Rico D, C Cooper Bebee

Is the 2024 roster “better” than 2023? Obviously too early to tell, but on paper it is not as strong. Anytime you START 4 rookies - two each in both sides of the ball there will be growing pains. Huge question marks in the running game and the defense s’s ability to stop the run. But this is still a good if not great roster.

How do you compare the 2023 roster to this year? Better? Or not?
Not better IMO.

Depth at pass rusher and RB is concerning. Rookies along the OL and lots of turnover at DL creates question marks. They could be better— but there could be some rough spots.

New defensive scheme will likely take some time to adjust and install.

Another big concern is the hangover effect from the GB dismantling? Where is this team’s confidence and chemistry? Do they believe or have they basically settled for individual glory stats and hoping to get their bag?

Lame duck HC and distractions with contracts can also create issues.

Just my opinion— but this team has played things wrong from the moment they took the field against GB, and I don’t expect more than 10 wins this season.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not better IMO.

Depth at pass rusher and RB is concerning. Rookies along the OL and lots of turnover at DL creates question marks. They could be better— but there could be some rough spots.

New defensive scheme will likely take some time to adjust and install.

Another big concern is the hangover effect from the GB dismantling? Where is this team’s confidence and chemistry? Do they believe or have they basically settled for individual glory stats and hoping to get their bag?

Lame duck HC and distractions with contracts can also create issues.

Just my opinion— but this team has played things wrong from the moment they took the field against GB, and I don’t expect more than 10 wins this season.
I agree with every one of your points.

Teams that lose in humiliating fashion in the playoffs as a home favorite often have a lingering hangover to overcome. And with the entire coaching staff on one year contracts, the uncertainty of the contract status of the QB, the lack of a handle on how to manage the cap….the FO has made this year have some really unnecessary hurdles.

shabazz

Reaction score
Coogs I think our LBs are way better than last year’s undersized and overwhelmed bunch. WR? Is Jalen Tolbert better than Gallup was? Maybe. Needs to prove it. DT? Mazi still looks like a big question mark at best. The additions of Linval Joseph and Phillips are good additions but that’s kind of relative. We went from super weak to maybe decent. We will see.
Make sure to factor in the major roster improvements our rivals have made through REAL FA acquisitions and the draft.

It's very relevant when gauging where we truly stand from 2023 to 2024

Nearly every sports media outlet has pointed out that we largely stood pat while the other teams ascended on paper

Just something to consider

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Make sure to factor in the major roster improvements our rivals have made through REAL FA acquisitions and the draft.

It's very relevant when gauging where we truly stand from 2023 to 2024

Nearly every sports media outlet has pointed out that we largely stood pat while the other teams ascended on paper

Just something to consider
Excellent point. FA additions do not always translate to major improvements but in our case doing nothing gives you less of a chance than trying.