Comparing TV Booths- Who’s better All time and Now?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or that the Cowboys getting called for holding is the preamble to the New World Order.
So true. So many of our fans scream about us “getting screwed” by the refs, but we were 21st in the league last year in overall number of penalties called against us, and 10th in the number of offensive holding calls made against us. In 2018, we were 15th in overall number of penalties called against. Not exactly feeding the “refs are out to get us” evidence, lol.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I know not many people will agree, but I really enjoy listening to Collingsworth. I think he is a fine commentator and I always look forward to the SNF games with Al and Cris.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know not many people will agree, but I really enjoy listening to Collingsworth. I think he is a fine commentator and I always look forward to the SNF games with Al and Cris.
I like him because he's done everything he can to make it about the game and not contracts and protests.

What I've not gotten is why some here don't like him, he's the biggest commentator Cowboys fan of the bunch and he has been since he started doing it.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
First of all, Im so anxious to hear some NFL football, I would settle for hearing almost anyone in the broadcast booth. Assuming we have a season starting in September, I thought it would be fun to handicap the best/worst broadcast teams.

Opinion Alert: This is all subjective, so don’t get your Cowboys boxers out of whack over broadcasters.

First of all, I’m going to throw down what I think are the BEST Of the Old NFL football booth teams:
  1. Pat Summerall and John Madden- Summerall was the best at just presenting what happened without fluff or grandiosity. With the voice of God. Madden was the fun former coach with sound effects and fat guy jokes. These two together made any game interesting. THE BEST IMO.
  2. Frank Gifford, Dandy Don Meredith and Howard Cosell- the Monday night broadcast booth from the early 70s was gold. Gifford was a boring play by play guy, but Dandy and Howard more than made up for it. Danny Don was the “OG” creative color analysts- funny and accurate. Cosell was the jerk everyone loved to hate. The back and forth between Howard and Dandy was greatness. This was when MNF was the best!
  3. Jack Buck and Hank Stram- Joe Buck’s dad was one of the best at both baseball and football. He had that great gravelly voice that sounded like a general. Hank Stram was similar to John Madden- funny, unpredictable and a little crazy. Stram was calling plays out way before Tony Romo- (“Something left Jack”) Good chemistry between them.
The Current Best Booth Teams IMO:
  1. Joe Buck and Troy Aikman- I know a lot of people hate Joe B but I’m not one of them. He’s funny, interesting, and all the haters wear “fan glasses”- meaning they don’t like him saying the opponents QB has had a good game against us...when they did. Aikman is the current best color analyst. Smart, insightful, and underrated in the funny department.
  2. Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth- Michaels is one of the smoothest and best prepared broadcasters. Collinsworth is annoying half the time, but he can occasionally be ok. Michaels is the talent here.
  3. Jim Nance and Tony Romo- Nance is super smooth and great at transitions. Romo...I hate to say it- he wears me out with the constant over the top “Jim it looks like a deep out here against this soft zone” before each play. It was kind of novel at first, but now it’s a beating.
THE ALL TIME BEST COWBOYS RADIO BROADCASTERS:
  1. Frank Gleiber- THE BEST- Gleiber did play by play from the late 60s to Early 70s. He was one of the all time great Cowboys announcers. Smooth, fun and always prepared. Died of cancer too young at 51 in 1985.
  2. Verne Lunquist- before he gained national fame as a college football broadcaster, Verne did play by play for the Cowboys in the mid 70s hey days. His color analysis was provided by Brad Sham. They made a really good team.
  3. Dale Hansen- He was the funny “color guy” -never play by play- but in the 90s, his honest and funny analysis made those 90s broadcasts so much fun. It’s never been the same without him.
  4. Brad Sham- believe it or not, can’t stand this guy. Try tuning into a game midway through the second qtr and see how long it takes before he gives a score. On top of that, off the air, he’s a notorious jerk. Arrogant with fans while acting like the players are all his best friends. Saw him in person at a remote broadcast with KRLD back in the 80s. A complete jerk off the air. Not a Sham fan.
So who are your favorite broadcast teams....and least favorites? And why.

Pat and John for the all time greats

Dale for the radio broadcasts

Current best is Tones Romes and Nance. I like Tony and Troy equally but Nance is much better than Buck IMO

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
1. Summerall and Madden - Madden was a beast
2. Al Michaels & Collinsworth - Collinsworth is the gold standard.
3. Romo & Nance - Romo is just a stud, fun, very likable.
Dallas best
Sham & Hansen

cern

Reaction score
It's funny to me going through the first couple of pages of this thread that Romo is taking flak here. I wonder if it has to do with feelings about Romo as a quarterback, because the team of Romo/Nance is considered either the best or second-best today by fans outside of this forum.

https://awfulannouncing.com/orig/the-2019-nfl-announcer-rankings.html

Breakdown: Why is Tony Romo so coveted by every network with NFL rights? Because he’s really good at his job. In year three of the Nantz and Romo pairing, their grade surged up even higher, signifying that most fans don’t want Romo to stop talking (Chris Russo…..enjoy your spot on that island). Nearly two thirds of the grades for this team were A votes, and just 2.33% of our readers gave them a D or F. This year, the voting was a complete and utter rout in favor of Jim Nantz and Tony Romo – the top CBS broadcast team, and the NFL’s highest-rated broadcast team by a significant margin.

I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I wonder if some are harder on him for the same reason we often are harder on our players than other fans are is (familiarity).
What i like about romo is he calls the play and moves on to the next play. He doesn't go nuts trying to prove he's right like some of the other announcers.

75boyz

Reaction score
First of all, Im so anxious to hear some NFL football, I would settle for hearing almost anyone in the broadcast booth. Assuming we have a season starting in September, I thought it would be fun to handicap the best/worst broadcast teams.

Opinion Alert: This is all subjective, so don’t get your Cowboys boxers out of whack over broadcasters.

First of all, I’m going to throw down what I think are the BEST Of the Old NFL football booth teams:
  1. Pat Summerall and John Madden- Summerall was the best at just presenting what happened without fluff or grandiosity. With the voice of God. Madden was the fun former coach with sound effects and fat guy jokes. These two together made any game interesting. THE BEST IMO.
  2. Frank Gifford, Dandy Don Meredith and Howard Cosell- the Monday night broadcast booth from the early 70s was gold. Gifford was a boring play by play guy, but Dandy and Howard more than made up for it. Danny Don was the “OG” creative color analysts- funny and accurate. Cosell was the jerk everyone loved to hate. The back and forth between Howard and Dandy was greatness. This was when MNF was the best!
  3. Jack Buck and Hank Stram- Joe Buck’s dad was one of the best at both baseball and football. He had that great gravelly voice that sounded like a general. Hank Stram was similar to John Madden- funny, unpredictable and a little crazy. Stram was calling plays out way before Tony Romo- (“Something left Jack”) Good chemistry between them.
The Current Best Booth Teams IMO:
  1. Joe Buck and Troy Aikman- I know a lot of people hate Joe B but I’m not one of them. He’s funny, interesting, and all the haters wear “fan glasses”- meaning they don’t like him saying the opponents QB has had a good game against us...when they did. Aikman is the current best color analyst. Smart, insightful, and underrated in the funny department.
  2. Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth- Michaels is one of the smoothest and best prepared broadcasters. Collinsworth is annoying half the time, but he can occasionally be ok. Michaels is the talent here.
  3. Jim Nance and Tony Romo- Nance is super smooth and great at transitions. Romo...I hate to say it- he wears me out with the constant over the top “Jim it looks like a deep out here against this soft zone” before each play. It was kind of novel at first, but now it’s a beating.
THE ALL TIME BEST COWBOYS RADIO BROADCASTERS:
  1. Frank Gleiber- THE BEST- Gleiber did play by play from the late 60s to Early 70s. He was one of the all time great Cowboys announcers. Smooth, fun and always prepared. Died of cancer too young at 51 in 1985.
  2. Verne Lunquist- before he gained national fame as a college football broadcaster, Verne did play by play for the Cowboys in the mid 70s hey days. His color analysis was provided by Brad Sham. They made a really good team.
  3. Dale Hansen- He was the funny “color guy” -never play by play- but in the 90s, his honest and funny analysis made those 90s broadcasts so much fun. It’s never been the same without him.
  4. Brad Sham- believe it or not, can’t stand this guy. Try tuning into a game midway through the second qtr and see how long it takes before he gives a score. On top of that, off the air, he’s a notorious jerk. Arrogant with fans while acting like the players are all his best friends. Saw him in person at a remote broadcast with KRLD back in the 80s. A complete jerk off the air. Not a Sham fan.
So who are your favorite broadcast teams....and least favorites? And why.

Right now, Romo and Nantz.
I like Charles Davis too.
I also like the duos of Herbstreit and Fowler and Collinsworth and Michael's.

Years past was Madden and Summerall.

Won't go into my hoops booth faves since this is pigskin but I have a few of them as well.

Unfortunately, Troy is an automatic mute. Can't seem to make up his mind whether he can effectively show nonbias towards his former team or overcompensate by over criticizing.

One week he critiques Dak's weaknesses and points them out in depth via replay and the next week Dak is the best thing since sliced bread. As someone who has strong ties to the organization and supposedly earned broadcast credibility to this point, I don't care for inconsistency.

His on air Jerry criticism was noteworthy but balancing a friendship and public criticism of a known friend who happens to coach your former team was handled somewhat...well...
inconsistently as well.

Oh well, like I said in another post, mine is just another opinion. We all got 'em.

75boyz

Reaction score
I like him because he's done everything he can to make it about the game and not contracts and protests.

What I've not gotten is why some here don't like him, he's the biggest commentator Cowboys fan of the bunch and he has been since he started doing it.

And...
It started out at Fox in their earlier NFL years with the 3 man booth of Collinsworth, Troy and Moose I believe.
I assume Collinsworth had some influence on Aikman and Moose as he was the more experienced guy and Troy/Moose just starting out.
Just my .02.

plasticman

Reaction score
Do y’all remember the comedian that gave it a shot for a year but got fired after 1 year for dropping to many f-bombs.

was it Dennis Miller.
I figured he got dropped because his type of humor wasn't compatible with the typical NFL fan.

I always got the feeling he was trying too hard to be clever. In order to get his jokes you had to think. I didn't watch NFL football to be intellectually teased.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Grew up on Summerall and madden and right now Tony is the best. Not sure about any of the cowboy guys other than sham.

yesfan

Reaction score
When you heard Pat Summerall’s voice the leaves were turning,there was a nip in the air,and football was back. He was my favorite. I am glad for Tony and how everything has turned out for him.I enjoy listening to him.

Aven8

Reaction score
Madden and Summerall is hard to beat.

Al Michaels is amazing. Love that dudes voice.

I cannot stand Joe Buck, but I love me some Jim Nance.

I miss Al, Dan Dierdorf, and Frank Gifford. They were amazing together.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would just listen for him to drop a cuss word. Can’t remember who he was commentating with but I do remember the guy he was with said something one night and Miller lost it for about 15 minutes. He said, Dennis did you see that guy beat off those 2 defenders to get to the sack. He apparently took the comment wrong.
Just the thing Miller wanted to hear! Bet the network bosses weren't amused. :muttley:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I figured he got dropped because his type of humor wasn't compatible with the typical NFL fan.

I always got the feeling he was trying too hard to be clever. In order to get his jokes you had to think. I didn't watch NFL football to be intellectually teased.
Agree, cerebral humor during a football game is wasted.

What we want is Alex Karras stating Otis Sistrunk played for the University of Mars when that shot showed steam coming off his head.