Competing Against A Superior Opponent

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Hey,

Are any of you out there coaches or players in sports where you know you have an upcoming game against an opponent vastly superior to you in terms of talent and ability? How do you prepare your team to compete in such a situation, and not be devastated in the event of a loss (my team is not used to losing).

Right now my team has a meet against another team that's 3-0 like we are, except their talent is deeper then ours and barring a miracle on Saturday, they are expected to win.

What's the best kind of pep talk to give the team in this type of situation? We have a 15 dual meet win streak over the past 3 summers but it is in dire jeopardy this weekend.

superpunk

Reaction score
a_tonya2_i.jpg

I hear Tonya Harding's looking for work.

Give her a call.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I really question whether pep talks work all that well anymore- kids today are so more worldly and cynical.
However, here is one to try:
Bill Murray in Meatballs "NO MATTER what we do, it just DOESN'T MATTER!!"

or

BIllY Clyde Puckett in Semi Tough:"Remember, whatever happens, there are a billion chinamen who don't give a damn!!"

burmafrd

Reaction score
Get a picture of the ugliest woman you can find- and then tell the guys that if they do not win they have to each spend a night in bed with her.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LOL

My HS coach was fond of the David and Goliath story.

I don't think it ever worked.

In college however the coach read us something about a huge team of oxen that lost a pulling contest to a smaller pair of oxen and how it explained that the smaller pair pulled together at the same time. It worked, we won.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
The best game I ever played - we a small group of us went to see this 19-0 team play a few days before our game. W were about .500 at the time but rolling on our own,
I saw how they played and got good information how to play the big star on the team.
Held them down and won 3-2.
Film may be able to show you some things but live from a non near the field view - up in the stands a bit may give a good scouting tip.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
I really question whether pep talks work all that well anymore- kids today are so more worldly and cynical.

or

BIllY Clyde Puckett in Semi Tough:"Remember, whatever happens, there are a billion chinamen who don't give a damn!!"

I see your points...its a swim team and the opponent this weekend has merged with another pool since the 2005 season, so the depth of talent they have is immense. They are crushing everybody this year, flat out steamrolling and embarrassing them.

My team is small, but proud, and we've beaten bigger teams before. I just don't see us being able to do it this time, it would have to be something resembling "Miracle On Ice"

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
I see your points...its a swim team and the opponent this weekend has merged with another pool since the 2005 season, so the depth of talent they have is immense. They are crushing everybody this year, flat out steamrolling and embarrassing them.

My team is small, but proud, and we've beaten bigger teams before. I just don't see us being able to do it this time, it would have to be something resembling "Miracle On Ice"

Itching poweder in their swimtrunks....

The opponents' that is.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have them watch the speech in Animal House. :laugh1:

On a serious note.

Why not talk about respect and lack of respect.

How everyone thinks the other team is better and your guys just have no chance to win.

Sometimes coaches will do this, and a team will band together to show everyone else they are wrong.

Sometimes an opposing team will have an attitude that they can just turn it on and win no matter what, that sometimes leads to players not giving it their all and finding themselves with a loss.

Go do some reasearch with football teams that were undefeated and you will find that sometimes the teams that beat those teams, are teams that really had no business winning the game.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Have them watch the speech in Animal House. :laugh1:

On a serious note.

Why not talk about respect and lack of respect.

How everyone thinks the other team is better and your guys just have no chance to win.

Sometimes coaches will do this, and a team will band together to show everyone else they are wrong.

Sometimes an opposing team will have an attitude that they can just turn it on and win no matter what, that sometimes leads to players not giving it their all and finding themselves with a loss.

Go do some reasearch with football teams that were undefeated and you will find that sometimes the teams that beat those teams, are teams that really had no business winning the game.

Thanks...to analogize it to football...imagine the team your competing against is a blend of the Giants and Commanders best players, or the Eagles and Commanders best players against your Cowboys. They are intimidating because they've gotten exponentially stronger due to the merge of 2 teams.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
Thanks...to analogize it to football...imagine the team your competing against is a blend of the Giants and Commanders best players, or the Eagles and Commanders best players against your Cowboys. They are intimidating because they've gotten exponentially stronger due to the merge of 2 teams.

Our coach put enough pressure and fear in us of him that we never really were concerned with the team we were going to play. We knew if we lost the following day would be hell with very physical practice and wind sprints until you were about to lose your lunch. I don't think there is anything you can say to a team at the last min, your team is built a certain way from the start.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RiggoForever said:
Hey,

Are any of you out there coaches or players in sports where you know you have an upcoming game against an opponent vastly superior to you in terms of talent and ability? How do you prepare your team to compete in such a situation, and not be devastated in the event of a loss (my team is not used to losing).

Right now my team has a meet against another team that's 3-0 like we are, except their talent is deeper then ours and barring a miracle on Saturday, they are expected to win.

What's the best kind of pep talk to give the team in this type of situation? We have a 15 dual meet win streak over the past 3 summers but it is in dire jeopardy this weekend.
Simple. Tell them if they lose they get called Redstinks the rest of the season and Cowboys if they win. What could be more motivating?

dwmyers

Reaction score
I recall that John Madden only had three team rules:

1. Show up on time.
2. Pay attention
3. Play your heart out when I ask you to.

For an opponent like this, where you could play your heart out and lose, I'd suggest the following riff on Madden's rules.

1. Show up on time.
2. Play smart; Play like a team.
3. Play to the best of your ability.

If your guys leave it all out on the field, then there is nothing to be ashamed of.

David.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
burmafrd said:

or

LOL... or continuing in a Dan Jenkins theme, you could always put up a motivational sign like ol' TJ (Torn Jock) Lambert put up in his office when he was made a head coach at some Texas college:

Pretty Coeds Don't Suck Losers'...

Well, you get the idea...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I like the Shock the World, us against the world type talks from coaches.

Being 3-0 but an underdog is a great chance to toss out how they are not as respected as they should be.

Another thing: LIE, even to yourself.

Always say you expect to win. You know they can win. Picture yourselves winning. Work the scenarios out where you have an edge and try to get into those.

When the other team has more talent then it is up to the coach to make the difference. Be the dfifference.