News: Competition Committee sees no need to change rule on fumble through the endzone

_sturt_

Reaction score
I hate the rule.

But it's the only logical way to handle that situation in the context of all the other rules.

Oh well.

J12B

Reaction score
I hate the rule.

But it's the only logical way to handle that situation in the context of all the other rules.

Oh well.
The only option I'd be ok with is if it were counted as a penalty against the offense.

Like intentional grounding.

Loss of down and 15 yard penalty.

_sturt_

Reaction score
The only option I'd be ok with is if it were counted as a penalty against the offense.

Like intentional grounding.

Loss of down and 15 yard penalty.
But where's the logic in the idea that a fumble is a penalty?

Right?

It's unpleasant, but any other option amounts to a contortion, and accordingly, opens up a whole other box of unintended possible precedents for other contortions.

Nav22

Reaction score
Keep the rule as is.

You don't want the turnover? Don't fumble near the opponent's goal line.

That is the defense's endzone to defend. If you fumble in the defense's endzone, you deserve the turnover.

J12B

Reaction score
I still think that the offense should retain the ball, just like it would if a player fumbled out of bounds and there was no clear recovery. Give the offense the ball at the spot of the fumble.
100% disagree.

It's the cost of being negligent by the ball carrier attempting to get a TD just by reaching the ball out there.

Don't want a turnover, then protect the ball better.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How about just a loss of down and the offense retains possession at the previous spot, if the defense didn't recover the ball or actively cause the fumble?

If the defense strips the ball, or hits the ball carrier hard enough to cause the fumble, then it goes to the defense.

he-is-bonafide

Reaction score
How about 100%, all the time, fumbles out of bounds cannot advance the ball from the spot of the fumble. Wouldn’t matter then where on the field it occurs and would be consistent. I think the extreme difference in results between the fumble going out 1 foot before vs after the goal line is what fans object to.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
It’s a good rule. If you fumble through the end zone you lose possession. The end zone is what makes it different. Hold on to it there and you’re rewarded points. Lose it just before reaching it to the point it goes through the end zone and out, you lose possession.

It’s not controversial.