Complete offseason if I were GM

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I'm not saying you committed some big sin or that everything was wrong/bad but it's just funny how much is sterotypical of general fan thoughts.

If you add all of the cap hits together for the next 10 years from the options below, the number comes out exactly the same.

Option 1:
Player A1 - Restructure to push 10M into the future. Then cut after the season.

Player A2 - Restructured in 2019 to offset the dead-money caused by restructure then cut of player A1. Stays 3 years after the restructure.

Option 2:
Player B - Restructed to push 10M forward. Stays 4 years.

I simply stated that I would only make these kinds of moves for a player with a history of being healthy, and one that I would not see his caliber of play diminish during the term of the restructure.

In your examples if player A2 doesn't last 3 years you have a portion of your cap going to a player that is no longer on the team.
In Option 2 if the player doesn't last 4 years, then you once again have a portion of your cap going to a player that is not on the team.
Often paying a player that is playing for another team or in the case of Romo sitting in a broadcast booth. Or in the case of last year signing Carroll, working at Walmart.

Out of all the issues I responded to that is the only one you cared to answer to?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Cuts

Mayowa - Done
Witten - It's time to move on
Bailey - This team doesn't have the luxury of a 4 mil a year kicker and he is starting to slip.
Beasley - I try to trade him to N.E. but for the sake of this exercise I will assume a cut. It's time to see what Switzer can do.

Small re-signs

Looney, Keith Smith and Brice Butler

Franchise Tag - Lawrence - I hate that we finally have a std pass rusher but it just happens to coincide with him being ready for a new contract. I agree with the F.O. approach and he should have to prove he is legit. 17.1 mil is a big hit but it is what it is.

1st rd tender for Irving. I don't want to see him go and he just might if we put a 2nd rd tender on him.

Trades

I trade Byron Jones to Seattle for Earl Thomas. Jones has the option year and is more affordable. Seattle may believe that putting him in one place and keeping him there might be the route to go. They save some money, add a player with more years of control and Byron Jones does have some freakish athletic ability. We get the Safety we have long wanted.

I trade Dez to the Bears. Swap 1st rd picks. He only costs them 12.5 compared to the 16 it costs us plus they have 50 mil in cap space. They would still have a 1st rd pick (pick 19) so they can resolve two issues at once.

Major re-singing

Martin long term deal with big bonus spread out creates a bunch more cap room.

Restructure

At this point we have plenty of cap space so Fred is the only one restructured and quite frankly he is the only player I would want to play that game with.

Free agency

Moncrief WR - Speed receiver that shouldn't cost a ton and his receiver coach is now with Dallas.

Joe Klein OG - Affordable vet. Solid but not spectacular.

Draft

1 from Bears - Derwin James - Paired with Thomas and we have the best secondary we have seen in forever.

2nd - Anthony Miller WR

3rd - Ragnow OG

4th - Christian Sam LB

4th - Jerome Baker LB

5th - Nathan Shepherd DT

5th - Joseph Noteboom OT

6th - Antonio Callaway WR

6th - Phillip Lindsay RB

7th - A freaking Kicker I am not even going to go through them to figure out which ones.

Things I didn't do that others believe will happen.

Didn't cut Scandrick - Only save 1.4 mil and with Byron Jones gone he is an important back up or starter if he beats out Brown and Xavier Woods.

Didn't cut Hanna - Cut Witten so we can see what Hanna and Rico can do.

Things people may have a problem with. Callaway - bad seed. Took a shot on a high upside wide receiver at a reduced cost. Also drafted Miller, Signed Moncrief and re-signed Butler so Callaway can be sent packing if he causes any problems.

Would the Bears trade for Dez? Why not? If I were them I would. The only reason we are considering cutting him at 16 mil is because we are up against the cap. It doesn't even preclude them from drafting another WR at 19 if they so choose.

Would Seattle take Byron Jones instead of a draft pick? Why not? Former 1st rd pick that they may have a better plan for.

Anyway - This is what I would try to do. The cap situation would be resolved and all of the positions fixed.
We could actually afford more F.A. signings but I just wanted to keep it simple and have some cap carryover for next year when we have to figure out Lawrence, Irving, and maybe Dak and Zeke.

So..........You wanna roll with...

Anthony Miller
Moncrief
Butler
Switzer

TE...Hanna/Rico

And that's it???? :omg:

Nice back up team...But no way in hell I'm asking them to start for me.:lmao:

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
So..........You wanna roll with...

Anthony Miller
Moncrief
Butler
Switzer

TE...Hanna/Rico

And that's it???? :omg:

Nice back up team...But no way in hell I'm asking them to start for me.:lmao:

Still have Twill and Noah Brown too.
Replaced Dez with Anthony Miller and Beasley with Moncrief. Plus get a look at Antonio Callaway. Speculation has been Dez may be gone. Maybe you have better ideas about replacing him. Don't like Miller? He looks pretty solid to me and Moncrief is that speed receiver we have been lacking.

I believe Hanna and Rico would be an upgrade over what Witten will do this year. Both blocking and receiving. Plus Swaim is still around.

RoboQB

Reaction score
He is not being paid as a "good kicker". He is being paid as one of the top kickers in the league. He is a top 15 salary player on the Cowboys. In my opinion that money could be better spent elsewhere while he could be replaced by a kicker that would have better production at a fraction of the cost.

He literally is one of the top kickers in the league... and in NFL history.

Someone go ask the Chargers if they think saving money by cutting their kicker was worth it last year.

The Chiefs and Eagles kickers weren't even on their teams to start the season. Pure dumb luck for Philly.
KC was more proactive but still very lucky to grab a back up kicker. To mention them to support your angle
is cherry picking.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
He literally is one of the top kickers in the league... and in NFL history.

Someone go ask the Chargers if they think saving money by cutting their kicker was worth it last year.

The Chiefs and Eagles kickers weren't even on their teams to start the season. Pure dumb luck for Philly.
KC was more proactive but still very lucky to grab a back up kicker. To mention them to support your angle
is cherry picking.

He was one of the best kickers in the league. May have even been a bargain before the big contract. Now he is showing signs of regression and it is best to move on. Especially when you consider his cap hit. We are talking about a kicker afterall.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I simply stated that I would only make these kinds of moves for a player with a history of being healthy, and one that I would not see his caliber of play diminish during the term of the restructure.

In your examples if player A2 doesn't last 3 years you have a portion of your cap going to a player that is no longer on the team.
In Option 2 if the player doesn't last 4 years, then you once again have a portion of your cap going to a player that is not on the team.
Often paying a player that is playing for another team or in the case of Romo sitting in a broadcast booth. Or in the case of last year signing Carroll, working at Walmart.

Out of all the issues I responded to that is the only one you cared to answer to?
I'll go one at a time.

They are not still paying Romo. The dead-money is for a bonus he received years ago.

The dead-money is attached to Romo but is actually there because due to paying other players. They used the Romo restructure(s) to make cap space to pay other players. Romo would have made the same amount of money with or without the restructures.

You're treating the restructures as-if they paid Romo extra or guaranteed extra years on his contract both of which are false.

Think about this what-if scerario:

Player X restructured in 2018 to create 10M in cap space, then cut after the season. The team does not use the extra cap space and rolls 10M of cap space to 2019. The team's cap space listing entering 2019 will show a 10M cap hit (debit) for player X but will also show a 10M credit for the rollover from 2018. The restructure had a zero net effect on the 2019 cap but a fan looking at spotrac/OTC would see 10M of dead-money attached to Player X.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I'll go one at a time.

They are not still paying Romo. The dead-money is for a bonus he received years ago.

The dead-money is attached to Romo but is actually there because due to paying other players. They used the Romo restructure(s) to make cap space to pay other players. Romo would have made the same amount of money with or without the restructures.

You're treating the restructures as-if they paid Romo extra or guaranteed extra years on his contract both of which are false.

Think about this what-if scerario:

Player X restructured in 2018 to create 10M in cap space, then cut after the season. The team does not use the extra cap space and rolls 10M of cap space to 2019. The team's cap space listing entering 2019 will show a 10M cap hit (debit) for player X but will also show a 10M credit for the rollover from 2018. The restructure had a zero net effect on the 2019 cap but a fan looking at spotrac/OTC would see 10M of dead-money attached to Player X.

I am well aware of how the cap works. Restructuring a players contract and pushing the cap hit into future years can be an effective strategy if
the player can remain healthy and there is no drop off in his play. I think the team has wised up to this and as it stands right now, there is no dead money next year. This year so far, there is about 15 million dollars allocated to players that are no longer on the team. That 15 million would go a long way towards shoring up weak spots in the line-up if they had made better decisions in the past.

If Player X in your example was still on the team in 2019 and still an effective player then it would have been good use of restructuring. Otherwise you are just handicapping yourself by 10 mil in 2019 and you have received no benefit of the restructuring. Where it gets hugely harmful is when you are restructuring a player year after year that misses significant time. Hell Romo hasn't played a full season in a lifetime and the stupid use of restructuring his contract is still limiting the amount of funds available to field a team in 2018.

Restructuring a contract and pushing cap hits into the future can be an effective strategy if used on the right players. That is why I suggest Fred is a player I would do it with but I would not do it with any player I was worried about injury issues or declining effectiveness. Dez(as one example) has a contract that could be restructured and create a bunch of space for this year and push cap hits into the future but it would be a very unwise use of the tool.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Out of all the issues I responded to that is the only one

You managed to hit on every possible sterotype of the point of view of average fans.
I don't know what a sterotype is.

It's sterotypical that I wonder if you're just joking around.
Again I don't know what sterotypical is.
Really?

From Google: A simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group.

Examples:
Football players are dumb jocks.

A specific race of people do a specific thing.

Cowboys players are always worth more to fans in trades than than how any NFL team would value them.
Can you cite an example of where I overvalued a Cowboys player?
ET straight up for Byron Jones.

Dez and his contract for anything.

If Dez was worth the contract the Cowboys wouldn't be contemplating a paycut or getting rid of him. If you think the cap is forcing them to dump him then you're not paying attention. The Cowboys issue with Dez is lack of production and being a distraction.

Fans always get their favorite player in the first.
Guilty of finding a way to get the most impactful player as charged.
You wanted to draft James so you used an unrealistic trade to move up. Moving from 19 to 12 would cost 2nd round pick or more. Nobody is giving up a 2nd for Dez with his contract. The Bears could just sign Moncrief or a more expensive free agent WR without giving up draft capital.

The cap hit is only X when in reality what is important is how much the Cowboys save when ALL years are considered in regards to the cap.
Agreed, maybe you can cite an example of how I didn't consider future years.

The Cowboys save 3M by cutting Scandrick when all years are considered, not 1.4M. The Cowboys manage the cap based on considering all years, not the just the current year. The current year would only be relevant in this situation if they didn't have any contracts they could restructure. Scandrick is cheap at 3M but 3M is the number the Cowboys look at when considering whether or not to keep him.

Kickers are not that important.
There are more than 32 good kickers in the world so there is no need to pay one over 4 mil a year. Especially one who just had a bad year and may be on the downward slide.
Tell that to Bills fans.

Super Bowl XXV, which was played on January 27, 1991, would cement Norwood's name in football history when he missed a 47-yard field goal attempt at the end of the game, giving the New York Giants the victory, and started the string of the Bills' four consecutive Super Bowl losses. This kick was made famous by the "wide right" call by the TV announcers. It cost Jim Kelly the Super Bowl MVP which instead went to Ottis Anderson of the New York Giants.

Bailey is the most accurate kicker in History and he was injured last season. The 4M is cheap insurance.

The Cowboys always get the fan concensus favorite player in a trade and the fact that player will require a big contract is not part of the thought process.
I never made a con argument against the 10 year census.

Dozens of posts recently to get ET that either give up way too much or next to nothing but all of them ignore the top issue which is ET's comtract issues.

There's always somebody to cut despite despite a trivial salary (Cole Beasley) and it can't wait until after training camp to see how the replacements are faring.
Cole Beasley's salary is not trivial and they had a year of practice and a training camp to see how the replacement was faring.
His salary is 3.25M. The backup to the backup OT made 2M last season. Kyle Wilber made 3.25M for 2 years combined as a special teams player, Jamrs Hanna averages 2.75M and had 4 catches and a 44% catch rate in 2017.

Beasley drew true double-coverage in 2017 which is something defenses normally only use against #1 WRs. His stats were down but he occupied 2 defenders which should have opened things up for Dez. Beasley's career stats 20TDs. 2600 yards and 254 catches and a catch rate average of 70%. Beasley played 54% of the offensive snaps in 2017.

Switzer has 6 career catches and Brown has 4 career catches.

Beasley is limited to being a slot WR but drawing double-coverage as a slot-only WR is an impressive feat; although part of that is due to Dez not drawing double-coverage.

Fans love to obsess about cutting players like Beasley because they're not All-Pro and get paid more than the minimum.

There's an awesome hidden gem mid/late that just needs to work though some character/other issue.
A 6th round pick when you have 10 picks can be used to take a gamble on a player with character issues.
I actually like the player at that pick (I have my own fan tendencies) but it's a theme in mock drafts more often than not which I find amuzing.

There's often used quote about veteran being cut - This year it "Time to move on for Witten".
It is in fact time to move on from Witten.
People need new material. That exact punchline has already been used 1000 times around here.

There is always a player to look at even though they'll only been a role player for many years (Hanna).
Hanna has never been given a chance to have a bigger role. Similar to Fasano and Bennet.
I'm not againt Hanna but MartyB had 85 catches in 4 years here. Hanna has less than half that amount in 5 years. Their roster plans at TE shouldn't be affected by James Hanna. He is OK in his role as a blocker and if he does something as a receiver when Witten is gone that's great, but the decision to cut/keep Witten and to acquire or not acquire another TE in the draft should not have dependencies on James Hanna.

There is always a reference to only wanting to restructure a "safe" player when in reality all a restructure does is give the player a bonus in the spring that replaces most of the upcoming season's salary which would be guaranteed after game 1 anyway. There is a mythical belief that which player has dead-money if cut really makes a big difference when in reality it's just a convenience issue.
See my other reply(s).

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am well aware of how the cap works. Restructuring a players contract and pushing the cap hit into future years can be an effective strategy if
the player can remain healthy and there is no drop off in his play. I think the team has wised up to this and as it stands right now, there is no dead money next year. This year so far, there is about 15 million dollars allocated to players that are no longer on the team. That 15 million would go a long way towards shoring up weak spots in the line-up if they had made better decisions in the past.

If Player X in your example was still on the team in 2019 and still an effective player then it would have been good use of restructuring. Otherwise you are just handicapping yourself by 10 mil in 2019 and you have received no benefit of the restructuring. Where it gets hugely harmful is when you are restructuring a player year after year that misses significant time. Hell Romo hasn't played a full season in a lifetime and the stupid use of restructuring his contract is still limiting the amount of funds available to field a team in 2018.

Restructuring a contract and pushing cap hits into the future can be an effective strategy if used on the right players. That is why I suggest Fred is a player I would do it with but I would not do it with any player I was worried about injury issues or declining effectiveness. Dez(as one example) has a contract that could be restructured and create a bunch of space for this year and push cap hits into the future but it would be a very unwise use of the tool.
I spent some time replying to you. I wouldn't do that if I thought you were trolling or if I thought you were an idiot.

In consideration please the read-reading what I posted and try to understand it.

The Player X example is very simple but it does not appear that you really studied what I said.

The is ZERO cap impact in the player X example. The only impact is where the debit and credit shows up on the cap accounting ledger.

Negative 10 plus 10 equals ZERO.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
You managed to hit on every possible sterotype of the point of view of average fans.

Really?

From Google: A simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group.

Examples:

I looked up Sterotypical on google again. Still didn't find it.

Cowboys players are always worth more to fans in trades than than how any NFL team would value them.

At the time I posted this it was being suggested Seattle may let him go for a 3rd rd pick. They just released two corners so they could be interested in a former 1st rd pick that just may have ended up being a good corner had we just left him there.

If Dez was worth the contract the Cowboys wouldn't be contemplating a paycut or getting rid of him. If you think the cap is forcing them to dump him then you're not paying attention. The Cowboys issue with Dez is lack of production and being a distraction.

Dez is a potential Hall of Fame receiver. The Bears may believe his production has dropped just like the entire receiving corp for reasons other than his play. They very well could believe he is worth a 2nd rd pick.

You wanted to draft James so you used an unrealistic trade to move up. Moving from 19 to 12 would cost 2nd round pick or more. Nobody is giving up a 2nd for Dez with his contract. The Bears could just sign Moncrief or a more expensive free agent WR without giving up draft capital.

See above and Moncrief has never had a season like Dez has many times in the past.

The cap hit is only X when in reality what is important is how much the Cowboys save when ALL years are considered in regards to the cap.

The Cowboys save 3M by cutting Scandrick when all years are considered, not 1.4M. The Cowboys manage the cap based on considering all years, not the just the current year. The current year would only be relevant in this situation if they didn't have any contracts they could restructure. Scandrick is cheap at 3M but 3M is the number the Cowboys look at when considering whether or not to keep him.

Keeping Scandrick for another year would have very little impact on the cap. Replacing him will cost more than we gain by cutting him.

There are more than 32 good kickers in the world so there is no need to pay one over 4 mil a year. Especially one who just had a bad year and may be on the downward slide.
Tell that to Bills fans.

Super Bowl XXV, which was played on January 27, 1991, would cement Norwood's name in football history when he missed a 47-yard field goal attempt at the end of the game, giving the New York Giants the victory, and started the string of the Bills' four consecutive Super Bowl losses. This kick was made famous by the "wide right" call by the TV announcers. It cost Jim Kelly the Super Bowl MVP which instead went to Ottis Anderson of the New York Giants.

Bailey is the most accurate kicker in History and he was injured last season. The 4M is cheap insurance.

Bailey was the most accurate kicker in history. He is showing signs of regression and if he were kicking a game winner in the superbowl in 2018 I would be less than confident.

The Cowboys always get the fan concensus favorite player in a trade and the fact that player will require a big contract is not part of the thought process.

Dozens of posts recently to get ET that either give up way too much or next to nothing but all of them ignore the top issue which is ET's comtract issues.

I don't think you understand what I was doing here.

There's always somebody to cut despite despite a trivial salary (Cole Beasley) and it can't wait until after training camp to see how the replacements are faring.
Cole Beasley's salary is not trivial and they had a year of practice and a training camp to see how the replacement was faring.
His salary is 3.25M. The backup to the backup OT made 2M last season. Kyle Wilber made 3.25M for 2 years combined as a special teams player, Jamrs Hanna averages 2.75M and had 4 catches and a 44% catch rate in 2017.

Beasley drew true double-coverage in 2017 which is something defenses normally only use against #1 WRs. His stats were down but he occupied 2 defenders which should have opened things up for Dez. Beasley's career stats 20TDs. 2600 yards and 254 catches and a catch rate average of 70%. Beasley played 54% of the offensive snaps in 2017.

Beasley is limited to being a slot WR but drawing double-coverage as a slot-only WR is an impressive feat; although part of that is due to Dez not drawing double-coverage.

Fans love to obsess about cutting players like Beasley because they're not All-Pro and get paid more than the minimum.

I just favor Moncrief over Beasley and would prefer to move on.

There's an awesome hidden gem mid/late that just needs to work though some character/other issue.
A 6th round pick when you have 10 picks can be used to take a gamble on a player with character issues.
I actually like the player at that pick (I have my own fan tendencies) but it's a theme in mock drafts more often than not which I find amuzing.

Doesn't sound like we have much to disagree on here.

There's often used quote about veteran being cut - This year it "Time to move on for Witten".
People need new material. That exact punchline has already been used 1000 times around here.

Holding onto older players for sentimental reasons places your team at a competitive disadvantage.

There is always a player to look at even though they'll only been a role player for many years (Hanna).
Hanna has never been given a chance to have a bigger role. Similar to Fasano and Bennet.
I'm not againt Hanna but MartyB had 85 catches in 4 years here. Hanna has less than half that amount in 5 years. Their roster plans at TE shouldn't be affected by James Hanna. He is OK in his role as a blocker and if he does something as a receiver when Witten is gone that's great, but the decision to cut/keep Witten and to acquire or not acquire another TE in the draft should not have dependencies on James Hanna.

Hanna, Rico and Swaim are better options than Witten at this point.

There is always a reference to only wanting to restructure a "safe" player when in reality all a restructure does is give the player a bonus in the spring that replaces most of the upcoming season's salary which would be guaranteed after game 1 anyway. There is a mythical belief that which player has dead-money if cut really makes a big difference when in reality it's just a convenience issue.
cared to answer to?
See my other reply(s).

See my other reply.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I spent some time replying to you. I wouldn't do that if I thought you were trolling or if I thought you were an idiot.

In consideration please the read-reading what I posted and try to understand it.

The Player X example is very simple but it does not appear that you really studied what I said.

The is ZERO cap impact in the player X example. The only impact is where the debit and credit shows up on the cap accounting ledger.

Negative 10 plus 10 equals ZERO.

You are the one that doesn't get it and you never take it to the logical conclusion. I am not sure if you are purposely being obtuse or not.

I will give you two examples of using the restructure tool. You figure out which one gives your team a competitive advantage.

Team A
Restructures Freds contract. Uses the funds created to sign a LG.
Fred plays through the restructure at a high level and leaves with no dead money counting towards future years.

Team B
Restructures Injury prone player with declining production. Uses the funds to sign a LG.
Injury prone player with declining production is cut and the team has him count against their cap for years while he is no longer on the team.
Not only that but they then have to sign another player to take his place and now you have increased the cost of filling that roster spot for years.

Lets use Dez as an example since I believe he is an example of a current player I would not consider restructuring.

I will just use nice round numbers to make it easy.

Lets say he has a 30 mil contract counting 15 mil per year and you adjust it so that he counts 10 mil in the first year and 20 mil in the second.
You use the 5 mil created to sign a LG. Dez has another down year and you cut him.
Now you are paying the F.A. receiver you had to sign to replace him and Dez's dead money the following year.
You have put yourself at a competitive disadvantage.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are the one that doesn't get it and you never take it to the logical conclusion. I am not sure if you are purposely being obtuse or not.

I will give you two examples of using the restructure tool. You figure out which one gives your team a competitive advantage.

Team A
Restructures Freds contract. Uses the funds created to sign a LG.
Fred plays through the restructure at a high level and leaves with no dead money counting towards future years.

Team B
Restructures Injury prone player with declining production. Uses the funds to sign a LG.
Injury prone player with declining production is cut and the team has him count against their cap for years while he is no longer on the team.
Not only that but they then have to sign another player to take his place and now you have increased the cost of filling that roster spot for years.

Lets use Dez as an example since I believe he is an example of a current player I would not consider restructuring.

I will just use nice round numbers to make it easy.

Lets say he has a 30 mil contract counting 15 mil per year and you adjust it so that he counts 10 mil in the first year and 20 mil in the second.
You use the 5 mil created to sign a LG. Dez has another down year and you cut him.
Now you are paying the F.A. receiver you had to sign to replace him and Dez's dead money the following year.
You have put yourself at a competitive disadvantage.
Again, here is the player X example. It doesn't get any easier.

Player X made the exact same amount that he would have made if not restructured. The restructure does not guarantee money 2 years out. It only guarantees that season's salary which is guaranteed anyway for a veteran if he is on the roster for game 1 of the season.

The injury prone player in your example does NOT get extra money because of the restructure. He got paid for that final season just like he would have without without the restructure.

Your Dez example is not a restructure if you're trying to say the 20M in the 2nd year all hits the cap if he is cut. Only the 5M hits the cap when he is cut because that is the amount pushed forward. He was going to get paid 15M before the restructure. After the restructure has salary plus the restructure bonus would be 15M. Only 10M hit the cap his final year and 5M hit the cap the following year. The other part of the 20M was going to be his salary the 2nd year but he was cut and didn't get paid a salary that year.

Maybe @Nightman could explain it to you in different words which might help you understand.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Again, here is the player X example. It doesn't get any easier.

Player X made the exact same amount that he would have made if not restructured. The restructure does not guarantee money 2 years out. It only guarantees that season's salary which is guaranteed anyway for a veteran if he is on the roster for game 1 of the season.

The injury prone player in your example does NOT get extra money because of the restructure. He got paid for that final season just like he would have without without the restructure.

Your Dez example is not a restructure if you're trying to say the 20M in the 2nd year all hits the cap if he is cut. Only the 5M hits the cap when he is cut because that is the amount pushed forward. He was going to get paid 15M before the restructure. After the restructure has salary plus the restructure bonus would be 15M. Only 10M hit the cap his final year and 5M hit the cap the following year. The other part of the 20M was going to be his salary the 2nd year but he was cut and didn't get paid a salary that year.

Maybe @Nightman could explain it to you in different words which might help you understand.

Restructures involve spreading current salary into future years in the form of signing bonuses. If there were no potential ramifications for restructuring players every player would be restructured and there would be nothing to worry about.

Would you restructure Dez or not? Is there any player on the team you would not restructure?

If so, WHY?

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
See my other reply.

When you see "[/ QUOTE]" at the bottom of the message, cut and past it to the top. That way it won't be inside the quote box and when I hit reply it will keep the discussion and and I can cut/paste the QUOTE control sequence to the top also which allows you to easily reply.

Really?

Examples:

At the time I posted this it was being suggested Seattle may let him go for a 3rd rd pick. They just released two corners so they could be interested in a former 1st rd pick that just may have ended up being a good corner had we just left him there.
Fans always want to dump a player but somehow figure he must be valuable to another team.

Dez is a potential Hall of Fame receiver. The Bears may believe his production has dropped just like the entire receiving corp for reasons other than his play. They very well could believe he is worth a 2nd rd pick.
What he did in the past is not relevant to the Bears. They could sign a free agent without giving up picks. It is highly unlikely any team would pay his salary even if they didn't have to give up a pick.

See above and Moncrief has never had a season like Dez has many times in the past.
I said "or a more expensive free agent".

Keeping Scandrick for another year would have very little impact on the cap. Replacing him will cost more than we gain by cutting him.
You're ignoring the point. Scandricks value is not relevant to the point. Your reference to 1.4M instead of 3M is the point.

Tell that to Bills fans.

Bailey was the most accurate kicker in history. He is showing signs of regression and if he were kicking a game winner in the superbowl in 2018 I would be less than confident.
The Cowboys don't need to cut good players. He was injured. They'll know in training cap if he has regressed. From a probability perspective, it is unlikely that he has regressed.

You're getting a player that you want for one that you don't want and you didn't consider the contract issue. He has 1 year remaining at 10M. The Cowboys likely wouldn't bother with a trade if they thought he would be gone next season.

You traded Dez. Moncrief would replace Dez on the outside in 2018 and hopefully a draft pick would be ready by 2019. Switzer would need to really show up in the preseason before I considered cutting Beasley.

Again, my initial reply was about you hitting all of the sterotypes.

Holding onto older players for sentimental reasons places your team at a competitive disadvantage.
Witten had 5 TDs and was thrown to 87 times.

Dez had 6 TDs and was thrown to 132 times.

You think Dez is worth a 2nd but Witten has no value. If you can say Dez sucks and the Bears wouldn't urinate on him if his hair was on fire, then I'll agree that Witten should go.

There is absolutely zero proof of that. It is what's called a stinky opinion because you pulled it out of your backside with no attempt to support your opinion with facts.

Rico missed an entire sesson with a concussion. Do you remember Laurent Robinson?

Swaim has 9 catches in 3 years. I already gave you the Hanna/MartyB numbers for comparison.

I'm not tied to Witten staying. I wouldn't keep a player out of respect but I would have already cut Witten if that is the plan. Any other player in his situation I would bring to camp and then see how the other options look at which point the team could move on from the veteran but I would want to avoid that with Witten.

Witten did have a 72% catch rate and a much better rate of TDs per total targets than Dez.

I would keep him 1 final year but cut his snaps from 98% to about 70% and possibly less if some other player.stepped up to the challenge.

cared to answer to?
See my other reply(s).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Restructures involves spreading current salary into future years in the form of signing bonuses. If there were no potential ramifications for restructuring players every player would be restructured and there would be nothing to worry about.

Would you restructure Dez or not? Is there any player on the team you would not restructure?

If so, WHY?

Again, just start with the player X example. It is very simple.

I didn't say there were no ramifications from restructuring. I said it does not really matter which player get's restructured.

I would cut Dez. If I were the Cowboys GM, I would have had security escort Dez off the field after his first meltdown last season and he would have been cut and banned from the Cowboys facilities.

Do you even try reading what I post?

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@Killerinstinct

To make it easier for you to reply...

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
When you see "[/ QUOTE]" at the bottom of the message, cut and past it to the top. That way it won't be inside the quote box and when I hit reply it will keep the discussion and and I can cut/paste the QUOTE control sequence to the top also which allows you to easily reply.

Really?

Examples:

Fans always want to dump a player but somehow figure he must be valuable to another team.
I don't want to dump Byron Jones. I think the Seahawks have a need at CB especially after now cutting 3 of them and may like him.

What he did in the past is not relevant to the Bears. They could sign a free agent without giving up picks. It is highly unlikely any team would pay his salary even if they didn't have to give up a pick.

Dez is still only 29 years old and has a proven track record. The Bears may like him. I am talking about flipping 1st rd picks not giving away 2 first rounder like we did for Galloway. Don't kid yourself, if we cut Dez he will be signed by someone and it will be at a high salary.

I said "or a more expensive free agent".

There are several teams looking for free agent receivers and few proven commodities.

You're ignoring the point. Scandricks value is not relevant to the point. Your reference to 1.4M instead of 3M is the point.

I did in fact state 1.4 mil so it is true that I did not go into future years to describe the cap savings but If I were to trade Byron Jones, Scandrick would be more valuable then the small amount of cap savings this year and in the future.

Tell that to Bills fans.

The Cowboys don't need to cut good players. He was injured. They'll know in training cap if he has regressed. From a probability perspective, it is unlikely that he has regressed.

The Cowboys need to cut overpriced, underperforming players when it makes sense.

You're getting a player that you want for one that you don't want and you didn't consider the contract issue. He has 1 year remaining at 10M. The Cowboys likely wouldn't bother with a trade if they thought he would be gone next season.

This no longer even involves the original question. Not sure what happened here but you confused consensus with concensus originally.

You traded Dez. Moncrief would replace Dez on the outside in 2018 and hopefully a draft pick would be ready by 2019. Switzer would need to really show up in the preseason before I considered cutting Beasley.

I drafted Anthony Miller to be the no 1 receiver. Moncrief would be my no 2 or at least compete with Twill for the status.

Again, my initial reply was about you hitting all of the sterotypes.

I simply tried to get value out of a 6th rd pick taking a bit of a gamble on a questionable character player at a position of need.

Witten had 5 TDs and was thrown to 87 times.

Dez had 6 TDs and was thrown to 132 times.

You think Dez is worth a 2nd but Witten has no value. If you can say Dez sucks and the Bears wouldn't urinate on him if his hair was on fire, then I'll agree that Witten should go.

Dez is 29, Witten is 100 years old and slower than my grandma. Dak likes to look for the TE in the red zone. Could have just as easily been Rico or Hanna.

There is absolutely zero proof of that. It is what's called a stinky opinion because you pulled it out of your backside with no attempt to support your opinion with facts.

Rico missed an entire sesson with a concussion. Do you remember Laurent Robinson?

Swaim has 9 catches in 3 years. I already gave you the Hanna/MartyB numbers for comparison.

I'm not tied to Witten staying. I wouldn't keep a player out of respect but I would have already cut Witten if that is the plan. Any other player in his situation I would bring to camp and then see how the other options look at which point the team could move on from the veteran but I would want to avoid that with Witten.

Witten did have a 72% catch rate and a much better rate of TDs per total targets than Dez.

I would keep him 1 final year but cut his snaps from 98% to about 70% and possibly less if some other player.stepped up to the challenge.

We simply differ on opinion here. I think Witten is no longer valuable enough for the almost 7 mil he is costing against the cap and I think he is slow and unproductive even if I acknowledge that he was a fantastic player for a long time.

cared to answer to?
See my other reply(s).

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Again, just start with the player X example. It is very simple.

I didn't say there were no ramifications from restructuring. I said it does not really matter which player get's restructured.

I would cut Dez. If I were the Cowboys GM, I would have had security escort Dez off the field after his first meltdown last season and he would have been cut and banned from the Cowboys facilities.

Do you even try reading what I post?

It absolutely matters which player is restructured. Everyone knows it but you.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
@Killerinstinct

To make it easier for you to reply...

This is just simply wrong.

First of all noone restructures a player just to roll over the funds into the next year.
Second of all the restructure does in fact guarantee money into future years as salary is converted into signing bonuses.
You seem to be more concerned with the amount of money the player receives rather than the effect on the cap.

The cap is all that matters.

You get 177 million to field the best team you can. If you are fielding a roster worth 157 mil because of dead money from previous bad decisions then you are at a disadvantage to teams that did a better job of managing their cap and have a roster valued at 177 mil instead of 157 mil.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Restructures involve spreading current salary into future years in the form of signing bonuses. If there were no potential ramifications for restructuring players every player would be restructured and there would be nothing to worry about.

If so, WHY?
  • Dead Money is not a boogeyman...... it is simply the receipt for salary cap savings already spent
  • It shouldn't be attached to any one player any more than rollover is ......no one says they rolled over 10m and 8m comes from Romo and 2m comes from TFred.... the money just spends or carries over
  • it is not only an interest free loan......it is cash back.......the savings are always forgotten when the bill comes due......but it is years later when the cap is higher...... that is a big net positive by itself...10m in 2013 is more painful than 10m in 2018
  • If a player is going to 100% play for you that season you should restructure them..... injury history or production is not relevant...... it all goes into one big pot
  • the worst thing to do is restructure some contracts some years and not do them other years for other players.... you can't be half pregnant.......once you commit to it stick with it....... DAL left over 30m on the shelf in 2017......that cap space could have been spent on an extra win or two
Everyone complains about Romo's contract and Dead Money but his contract was super team friendly his whole career.....his cap hit was never over 15m his whole career except for 2016..... he was a perennial ATM for cap space .......but even when he retired prematurely he still saved cap space

His 18.9m in Dead Money was spent over 2013-2016 on other players......but even still they saved 14m in 2017 and 20m on 2018 against the cap...... his Dead Money was eradicated by his saved salary...... he was due to count for 53m for 2017-18 and instead he only cost 18.9m

That is why they are 65m under the cap for 2019...... but it doesn't help us this year by waiting...restructure some contracts and borrow some of that 65m this year when we need it... if we create 50m in space this year it will only reduce 2019 from 65m to 55m under the cap...... I can live with that especially since the cap will go another 10m at worst