Computer running slow

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
That come in a bigger screen? I also need a disk drive for older games I like to play around with from time to time.

Also, no webcam is no problem for me. I have no idea what Thunderbolt is, so I guess I don’t need it either :laugh:
Yes, they have a 17" version. Though like I said. I use it for traveling mostly and when I travel. I really don't want to be lugging around a giant laptop. 15" works well enough. If I didn't game on it occasionally, I probably would have went with a Dell XPS 13.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
FreeBSD or any lightweight Linux distro will solve your problem No antivirus needed. You can install so many windows program using a compatibility layer program called WINE( free) or a paid one called Crossover( more features than WINE).

triplets_93

Reaction score
I'm sure some of you guys out there are pretty computer savvy.

I see all the ads for speeding up your computer. My question is what, if any, program do you use to clean/speed up your computer. I run windows, if that matters.

Thanks in advance.
What I did to speed up my 2014 laptop, was to max out the ram storage, by adding the max to each slot. It has 2 slots. I was told that using all of the slots was better than using only 1 slot. For example, if the max RAM rated for a system is 8 GB, it's better to use 2 4GB sticks than to use one 8 GB sticks.
I had to remove the cover to the battery area, to expose the exact model number of the laptop. You want that to determine the exact stick to use.
Some devices, like some Chromebooks, do not have removeable RAM, so you're stuck with the RAM it comes with.
But many laptops do not come shipped with the maximum RAM loaded, that the device can handle.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I did to speed up my 2014 laptop, was to max out the ram storage, by adding the max to each slot. It has 2 slots. I was told that using all of the slots was better than using only 1 slot. For example, if the max RAM rated for a system is 8 GB, it's better to use 2 4GB sticks than to use one 8 GB sticks.
I had to remove the cover to the battery area, to expose the exact model number of the laptop. You want that to determine the exact stick to use.
Some devices, like some Chromebooks, do not have removeable RAM, so you're stuck with the RAM it comes with.
But many laptops do not come shipped with the maximum RAM loaded, that the device can handle.
There is a performance benefit to using dual-channel memory, but it's more for squeezing out extra performance in high-memory intensive apps like games, video encoding, etc.

With your computer, the larger benefit came from adding more memory I am sure. In a full windows system, I would not even consider running less than 8GB and if you run any process-intensive apps like games, video editing, photoshop, VM, etc., you should have at least 16GB.

Switching from mechanical (spinning) drives to solid state drives (SSD) will provide older computers with the biggest performance impact.

The reason for this is that even low memory systems can benefit from SSD due to paging. For those that don't know, when your system needs more memory than you have available, it creates a disk-based memory system (paging) which is why your computer can still function with low memory, though it will do so at a severe performance hit especially if you are using mechanical drives. Having the paging file stored on an SSD will provide a much faster memory alternative than if it were on a mechanical drive, but still not as fast as actual memory of course.

As I mentioned in my first post, the first thing anyone should do when their computer is running slow is to check the software/processes running in the task manager. If there is a problem there and you just throw more memory, faster drives, etc. at it, it won't necessarily fix or improve things. Software like Malware Bytes Free, SpyBot, etc. will help solve the malware issues and tweaking some Windows settings or updating Windows may help if windows itself is causing problems. For example, there is malware that does crypto-currency mining. It won't matter if you add a 4TB SSD drive and 32GB of memory to a system that's infected with that malware. It will simply increase its speed and absorb every new resource you added to the computer.

After eliminating or finding no software issues, the second thing you should do is replace the mechanical drives (or at least the boot drive) in your computer with an SSD. There is software to help make this process not overly complicated, but if you have very little tech skills, it may be better to pay a computer service or get someone who knows how to do it to handle the replacement.

Finally, the third thing you can do to improve performance is add memory, preferably dual-channel (more than one memory card).

Of course the easiest thing to do if you are not tech-savvy is to buy a new computer with current generation CPU, 8GB or more memory and an SSD, preferably "m.2" rather than "SATA".

Last edited:

starman22

Reaction score
Thanks to all who have replied to this thread, after performing most of the tasks mentioned by everyone, I have come to the conclusion that this computer is just not very good quality. (you get what you pay for) I think that I will see if I can talk the boss into an ssd drive and maxing out the memory and see what that does. We run a couple of memory hog programs, quickbooks desktop, boss snow plow app. Is there a minimum size drive I should purchase.

What are some of the key specs to look for when looking at a new laptop purchase? I imagine the amount spent is pretty closely related to the quality of machine you are getting.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have replied to this thread, after performing most of the tasks mentioned by everyone, I have come to the conclusion that this computer is just not very good quality. (you get what you pay for) I think that I will see if I can talk the boss into an ssd drive and maxing out the memory and see what that does. We run a couple of memory hog programs, quickbooks desktop, boss snow plow app. Is there a minimum size drive I should purchase.

What are some of the key specs to look for when looking at a new laptop purchase? I imagine the amount spent is pretty closely related to the quality of machine you are getting.

I am not really the one to be asking what's the latest and greatest when it comes to laptops but I found this little guide that may help you.

https://tech.co/laptops/computer-specs-explained

What are Good Laptop Specs?
  • Processor – The brains of the laptop, the better the processor, the faster your computer will run. For a dependable laptop, an Intel i3 is fine, but an i5 will guarantee good speeds. Laptops with i7 chips cost a lot more, and are more suited to those running design software or games.
  • Screen – Size and resolution of screen will have a big impact on your experience. It's best not to go smaller than a 13-inch screen, though you can live without 4K displays unless you're a professional designer or photo-editor. Full HD resolution is fine.
  • Storage Space – The amount of space you can use to store your files. It's best not to accept less than 256GB for a solid state drive (SSD, which helps laptops run faster), or less than 1TB for a traditional hard drive (not as fast, but more generous with the storage).
  • RAM – Used for juggling multiple applications at once. More RAM can give you a speed boost. These days, 8GB RAM is the minimum to aim for. 16GB or 32GB is only needed for high-end machines.
  • Graphics card – An additional graphics card is used for gaming and image editing. If you only need to browse the web, email and stream video, you can live without an advanced graphics card.
Couple things, I would get an i5 at the minimum, and a i7 if you can afford it.
I also would get at least a 256 GB SSD, bigger if you can afford it. If you need something huge like 1TB or above just get a regular HDD. And 1 Terrabyte=1000 Gigabytes btw.
I also would get 16 GB of Ram, no more no less. I have gaming friends that have like 32 GB of Ram in their pc's and its nothing but a total waste. You can be playing the Witcher 3 for example and browsing with 5 tabs open and still not come close to using that much. 16 GB is pretty much the sweet spot. Maybe some of the posters that have Laptops can chime in with their 02.

Quickdraw

Reaction score

Upgrades can help but not if your system is an older computer. There's only so much RAM a computer will recognize. Upgrading the HDD may help but the computer doesn't run off the HDD, it runs mostly off RAM. If not enough RAM, then it'll use up processor power, which will slow the system down as well.

Computers are inexpensive. You can get a decent one for a decent price. Building one can get costly and all depends on your need.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes, they have a 17" version. Though like I said. I use it for traveling mostly and when I travel. I really don't want to be lugging around a giant laptop. 15" works well enough. If I didn't game on it occasionally, I probably would have went with a Dell XPS 13.

We got busy last week but finally bought one today. I picked up a Dell G7 17 which is a whole lot of computer for the wife and I :laugh:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty...&acd=1230923830920600&VEN3=110105209414747548

cwbyfn88

Reaction score
I don't know how it is with newer windows but I always do disc cleanup. It clears out temp files error files and such. I do that once a week. Then once a year I do disc defragment. It movrs files around to clear up space. Like reality said I also use a anti malware program. And last but not least I manually erase programs or files I no longer need.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never buy anything except SSD drives.

As for a laptop, I picked up the Asus ROG GX502GW. It should play everything you can throw at it for years to come.

The two down sides are it doesn't have a webcam. (I don't use them anyhow) and it doesn't support Thunderbolt which IMO is only useful if you use a docking station with like three 4k monitors. (ie, using your laptop as a desktop)

I know that's how Reality rolls, but I have multiple desktops at home and the laptop is mainly used only when I'm travelling.
The downside to using high-end laptops as your primary computer is if it has a major hardware failure, you will have to ship it off to the manufacturer to get it fixed which means 2-3 weeks without it at minimum.

With a desktop/tower, you can remove the failed part and send it off, but get it or a replacement back quite quickly. In some cases, the manufacturer will even cross-ship a replacement to you.

Even better though for those of us who rely on our main systems, you can buy or order a replacement part if you need it quickly instead and use the manufacturer repaired/replaced part as a backup when it arrives.

For me, I always own and maintain two laptops for that reason. One is my primary and one is a backup. In my case, my primary is a 17" laptop while my backup is a 15" for the same reason you stated and that's mobility.

At the moment, my 15" backup laptop is actually more powerful and better than my primary 17" laptop, but that will change soon.

I am considering going back to a desktop/tower build for my primary system after I move. That is mainly because it's hard to justify $2,500+ for a high-end laptop when you can build a much more powerful desktop/tower for that kind of money while not having to deal with CPU throttling due to thermal issues.

That said, I expect there to be several awesome laptop sales between now and Christmas so if I find one on a laptop brand/model I am interested in, I might go that route :D

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Another vouch for Malwarebytes (free) and CCleaner if you're in a Windows environment. I would also add that it's important to have a good antivirus program, but do your research. They're not all equally good. Do your homework and find out which ones are currently light on system resources, but still protect well. Last time I checked, Webroot was way up there, but do your research. It's been a while. I don't use Windows anymore.

Which brings me to my next point. Windows isn't the only option. There's Mac, of course, but I've gone with still another option: Linux. I've been using Kubuntu Linux as my PC OS since 2013 and I love it. It runs really well and comes without all that bloatware, and it's extremely unlikely you'll get any kind of virus. It's not for everyone, however. If you're interested in making the jump to Linux, do your homework first. Make sure you'll have equivalents to any software you'll need to run. Microsoft Office will not run natively on Linux, which hasn't been a problem for me. I switched to LibreOffice and love it. MS Office might run on Linux under a thing called WINE (I haven't tried). Linux is a good choice for someone who doesn't mind doing things differently than most other people. It's a good choice if you're a tinkerer and like being able to choose to do things you're own way. It may not be a good choice for some people, for example, if you work for a company that has developed its own software that only runs on Windows, and you must run that on your laptop for your job. If you would rather just buy a computer off the shelf and use it immediately, buying whatever software you want from store shelves, you're probably better off using Windows or Mac.

But if you like the idea of OpenSource software, Linux is probably your cup of tea. Open source is always free in more ways than one. It's monetarily free, and you're also free to use it as you see fit. That means you can get its source code if you want and modify it if you want. Linux distros like Kubuntu also make installing software super easy and safe. They have a software repository, which you can access from a simple list. You just check off the program you want and then it downloads it and installs if for you. If you're a tinkerer/programmer, you can get the source code online and modify it. The Linux system for updates is alway

I like that I have a laptop I bought in 2012 and it zips along just fine like a new computer. I have no need to go out and buy a new one as long as its hardware keeps running.

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. There's nothing wrong with using Windows -- if you do, do the regular maintenance it needs with Malwarebytes, CCleaner, and a quality antivirus. One more thing about antivirus -- you don't necessarily need the "Internet Security" more expensive suite. Most people are perfectly fine with just the basic antivirus product.

If you go with Linux, do your homework first. There's a ton of resource online. Of course, the other option is Mac. I don't know much about them, but there are certainly resources online for them.