Computer Software Upgrades are hard for Govts. and for Big Businesses

triplets_93

Reaction score
United Airlines says outage that held up departing flights was due to software update

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’ve been trying to renew my TDL online for a few days now. I was wondering why I couldn’t get past the first link.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Rolling blackouts constantly in California is much worse but then some never will admit it.
I worked remote the last two years and unless it was the ‘dog ate my homework‘ excuse, seems like power outages pretty common in a lot of states these days.

Creeper

Reaction score
All Texas driver's license offices remain closed, online services down after software update DPS says

https://www.cbsnews.com/texas/news/...d-online-services-down-after-software-update/

Rescheduling driver license appointments could take months with services still down

https://www.cbsnews.com/texas/news/...s-could-take-months-with-services-still-down/
When I worked in software development for a major global bank we had to have a back-out plan in case an major upgrades did not work. We installed new software on Friday nights and tested it on Saturday and Sunday. If there were problems we backed out the upgrade and restored the system. I cannot imagine the fall-out if we left a non-functioning upgrade in that impacted our customers. Government seems to lack concern for its customers.

Dunks3001

Reaction score
you'd be surprised how much the whole world still runs on excel or access 2003

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Rolling blackouts constantly in California is much worse but then some never will admit it.
You’re not aware of the big freeze 3 or 4 years ago where just about the whole state went black some for days? All because the state was too cheap to winterize their grid.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The Ol Lady is in the middle of a major upgrade of the company's OS.

I feel like I should be getting paid by them, since the stress involved in all that is directly affecting me! lol

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I like to picture all the people plugging in their electric cars and then complaining about rolling blackouts

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The Government of Bavaria in Germany uses Kubuntu Linux. I think they may be onto something. I had to use Windows 10 at work, and it drove me nuts with its updates. I would have a pile of work I needed to get to, but just had to sit there while the @#$% thing updated. Then after around 20 minutes, it would spew an error message and say needs to restore the previous system. So I would wait maybe another 15 minutes while it did that. IT finally fixed it, but after my work stats were totally trashed.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
The Government of Bavaria in Germany uses Kubuntu Linux. I think they may be onto something. I had to use Windows 10 at work, and it drove me nuts with its updates. I would have a pile of work I needed to get to, but just had to sit there while the @#$% thing updated. Then after around 20 minutes, it would spew an error message and say needs to restore the previous system. So I would wait maybe another 15 minutes while it did that. IT finally fixed it, but after my work stats were totally trashed.
The obvious answer is that IT and your computer are conspiring to wreck your stats. You need to take action. Rent office space and copy the worker vs copy machine fight for your computer or technicians

triplets_93

Reaction score
A new Dallas Count Jail computer software conversion is making case management very difficult.

“We don’t know if the case is set. We don’t know who the defense lawyer is and all of those things. We don’t even know who to talk to. So, if I can’t see who the defense lawyer is, the problem for the defense is they can’t see where their client is. If they’ve been appointed, they don’t know,” Creuzot said.
Price said clerks and court personnel have been asked to work around the system.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/dallas-county-jail-capacity-raises-concerns-at-city-hall/3335383/

gtb1943

Reaction score
You’re not aware of the big freeze 3 or 4 years ago where just about the whole state went black some for days? All because the state was too cheap to winterize their grid.
The STATE? Aw, I guess it is not surprising that you think government owns everything.

Creeper

Reaction score
Microsoft's Update process is almost criminal. I remember in the 1990s when the DOJ sued Microsoft over its monopoly practices. and that was only because they wanted to integrate Internet Explorer with the OS tothe point where you were forced to use it. Here we are 30 years later and their software practices are even worse. There is software people download to literally shut down Windows Update services to prevent MS from arbitrarily modifying your system.

Have you had an update blow away your video drivers yet? That happened to be multiple times until I shut down Windows Update in Windows 10.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Microsoft's Update process is almost criminal. I remember in the 1990s when the DOJ sued Microsoft over its monopoly practices. and that was only because they wanted to integrate Internet Explorer with the OS tothe point where you were forced to use it. Here we are 30 years later and their software practices are even worse. There is software people download to literally shut down Windows Update services to prevent MS from arbitrarily modifying your system.

Have you had an update blow away your video drivers yet? That happened to be multiple times until I shut down Windows Update in Windows 10.
Not yet, thank God. I don't like how they now pull up scary messages if you go to install some non-approved program. They often use that system to badmouth perfectly safe and trustworthy open source program. I've used this CherryTree simple database program to organize info for years. I had it on my work computer (approved by my boss), but then our IT person panicked because Microsoft didn't approve of that app. It's open source and totally respected in the open source community, but Microsoft popped a message to scare people into not using it. And our IT supposed guru fell for it, so I wasn't allowed to use it anymore.