conditioning program

AmericasTeam

Reaction score
I have heard of the success several players have had this offeseason in the cowboys conditioning program. So many are said to have added xxlbs of muscle. I have searched online and have not found any info on the program. Does anyone have a knowledge of the program? Splits? Exercises? Sets? Reps?

Thanks!

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
AmericasTeam said:
I have heard of the success several players have had this offeseason in the cowboys conditioning program. So many are said to have added xxlbs of muscle. I have searched online and have not found any info on the program. Does anyone have a knowledge of the program? Splits? Exercises? Sets? Reps?

Thanks!
I don't know any details but one thing is that it is tailored differently for each individual player. Some concentrate on leg strength others concentrate on the upper body. I know that Parcells likes the linemen to use the clean and jerk type of lifts over the straight power lifts because it helps build the players explosion of the ball. That was a major part of the rift between Parcells and Larry Allen because LA had always worked on the pure strength lifts.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
AmericasTeam said:

Thanks!
They are customized for each player but all revolve around compound exercises. Squats, deadlifts, clean and jerk.

Dat published his workouts on his website and they were absolutely insane. 3 times as many reps as most professional bodybuilders.

I had coach Joe as a weight trainer when I was at Tech. We did alot of stair climbing in the stadium til we hurled. It was, uhh, great.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
My old strength coach is now the strength coach for the Chefs, Coach Billy Long.

Our mainstay was power cleans and more power cleans. Some of the stuff was downright medieval, lol. If only I had the will now I would go out and run some gasers, on second thought I will have a beer and eat some left over pizza instead.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
They say the same thing every year.
So and so is stronger.
So and so is faster.
So and so looks better than ever.
Blah blah blah blah.

It never translates into anything on the field.

Last year, the three guys who were said to be showing a signicant improvement in strength, etc. were Bradie James, Terrence Newman, and Delaroy Stewart...

do the math.

shnagy

Reaction score
jterrell said:
They are customized for each player but all revolve around compound exercises. Squats, deadlifts, clean and jerk.

Dat published his workouts on his website and they were absolutely insane. 3 times as many reps as most professional bodybuilders.

I had coach Joe as a weight trainer when I was at Tech. We did alot of stair climbing in the stadium til we hurled. It was, uhh, great.
Hahah, sounds like it was fun. That is crazy how they do as many reps as the professional bodybuilders. I wonder how many hours they put into the gym in the offseason.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
they prolly spend 3-5 hours a day split between lifting and running in high school it is 1-2, college 2-4, so pro is prolly 3-5. of course the good ones put in the extra hour or two every day.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
jterrell said:

Would you mind leaving Dat's web address ? I would like to check it out.
Thanx

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
adbutcher said:
My old strength coach is now the strength coach for the Chefs, Coach Billy Long.

Our mainstay was power cleans and more power cleans. Some of the stuff was downright medieval, lol. If only I had the will now I would go out and run some gasers, on second thought I will have a beer and eat some left over pizza instead.
Our strength coach put more emphasis on legs than anything. Lots of squats. Leg raises, leg extensions, calf raises with lots of weight, leg press, and a lot of running.

We did upper body too but man it fel tlike a vacation in comparison.

Shaun

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
They say the same thing every year.
So and so is stronger.
So and so is faster.
So and so looks better than ever.
Blah blah blah blah.

It never translates into anything on the field.

Last year, the three guys who were said to be showing a signicant improvement in strength, etc. were Bradie James, Terrence Newman, and Delaroy Stewart...

do the math.

They always say there is not any loss in speed when a guy gets bigger and stronger, but I think those claims are exaggerated. I mostly think they mean straight line speed, which isn't necessarily the most important thing in football.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Our strength coach put more emphasis on legs than anything. Lots of squats. Leg raises, leg extensions, calf raises with lots of weight, leg press, and a lot of running.

We did upper body too but man it fel tlike a vacation in comparison.
My strength use to say that benching, curls, etc was for the beach.....football is played with the legs. That is why til this day I have trouble finding jeans to fit my thighs. Thank God for relax fit jeans, lol.

Also, I don't know how I forgot the medicine ball and jump ropes (both weighted and speed). Good feet, strong legs, coupled with good technique makes for a helluva D-Lineman.

31smackdown

Reaction score
Here is what is on Roy Williams website...

Training

LEG EXERCISES

ANGLED LEG PRESS
BARBELL LUNGES
CALF PRESSES
DUMBBELL LUNGES
DUMBBELL SQUATS
FRONT SQUATS
HACK SQUATS
LEG EXTENSIONS
LYING LEG CURLS
SEATED CALF RAISES
SMITH MACHINE SQUATS
SQUATS
STANDING DUMBBELL CALF RAISES
STIFF-LEGGED DEADLIFTS

EXAMPLE ROUTINES

ROUTINE 1

SQUATS (your choice)
LEG EXTENSIONS
LYING LEG CURLS
CALF RAISES (seated or standing)
ROUTINE 2

HACK SQUATS
ANGLED LEG PRESS
STIFF-LEGGED DEAD LIFTS
ROUTINE 3

ANGLED LEG PRESS
CALF PRESSES
LEG EXTENSIONS
LYING LEG CURLS
ROUTINE 4

SQUATS (your chioce)
LUNGES (your choice)
LYING LEG CURLS (your choice)
ROUTINE 5

SMITH MACHINE SQUATS
ANGLED LEG PRESS
HACK SQUAT
LEG EXTENSIONS

BACK EXERCISES

BENT-OVER BARBELL ROWS
CLOSE-GRIP PULL DOWNS
DEAD LIFTS
HYPEREXTENSIONS
ONE-ARM DUMBBELL BENT-OVER ROWS
REVERSE-GRIP BENT-OVER BARBELL ROWS
SEATED CABLE ROWS
T-BAR ROWS
WIDE-GRIP BEHIND-THE-NECK PULL DOWNS
WIDE-GRIP FRONT CHINS

EXAMPLE ROUTINES

ROUTINE 1

WIDE-GRIP FRONT CHINS
CLOSE-GRIP PULL DOWNS
ROUTINE 2

CLOSE-GRIP PULL DOWNS
SEATED CABLE ROWS
HYPEREXTENSIONS
ROUTINE 3

WIDE-GRIP BEHIND-THE-NECK PULL DOWNS
CLOSE-GRIP PULL DOWNS
T-BAR ROWS
HYPEREXTENSIONS

CHEST EXERCISES

BARBELL BENCH PRESS
CABLE CROSSOVERS
DECLINE BARBELL PRESS
DUMBBELL BENCH PRESS
DUMBBELL FLYES
FLAT BENCH DUMBBELL FLYES
INCLINE BENCH PRESS
INCLINE DUMBBELL FLYES
INCLINE DUMBBELL PRESS
PARALLEL-BAR DIPS
PEC DECK FLYES

EXAMPLE ROUTINES

ROUTINE 1

INCLINE BENCH PRESS(dumbbell or barbell)
BENCH PRESS (dumbbell or barbell)
DECLINE PRESS (dumbbell or barbell)
PARALLEL-BAR DIPS
FLAT BENCH DUMBBELL FLYES
ROUTINE 2

FLAT BENCH PRESS
INCLINE BENCH PRESS
PARALLEL-BAR DIPS
PEC DECK FLYES
ROUTINE 3

INCLINE BARBELL PRESS
DUMBBELL BENCH PRESS
INCLINE DUMBBELL FLYES

BICEPS EXERCISES

BARBELL PREACHER CURL
CABLE CURLS
CONCENTRATION CURLS
INCLINE DUMBBELL CURLS
MACHINE PREACHER CURLS
SEATED HAMMER CURLS
STANDING ALTERNATE DUMBBELL CURLS
STANDING BARBELL CURLS

EXAMPLE ROUTINESROUTINE 1

INCLINE DUMBBELL CURL
CONCENTRATION CURL
CABLE CURL
ROUTINE 2

STANDING BARBELL CURLS
MACHINE PREACHER CURLS
HAMMER CURLS
ROUTINE 3

STANDING ALTERNATE DUMBBELL CURLS
MACHINE PREACHER CURLS
SEATED HAMMER CURLS

TRICEPS EXERCISES

CABLE PUSHDOWNS
CLOSE-GRIP BENCH PRESS
LYING TRICEPS EXTENSIONS
MACHINE TRICEPS EXTENSIONS
ONE-ARM DUMBBELL EXTENSIONS
ONE-ARM DUMBBELL KICKBACKS
ONE-DUMBBELL TRICEPS EXTENSIONS
TRICEPS BENCH DIPS
TRICEPS PARALLEL-BAR DIPS

EXAMPLE ROUTINESROUTINE 1

CABLE PUSHDOWNS
LYING TRICEPS EXTENSIONS
ROUTINE 2

CLOSE-GRIP BENCH PRESS
LYING TRICEPS EXTENSIONS
ROUTINE 3

ONE-DUMBBELL TRICEPS EXTENSIONS

SHOULDER EXERCISES

BARBELL SHRUGS
BARBELL UPRIGHT ROWS
DUMBBELL SHRUGS
DUMBBELL UPRIGHT ROWS
FRONT DUMBBELL RAISES
LATERAL DUMBBELL RAISES
REAR DUMBBELL RAISES
SEATED BARBELL FRONT PRESS
SMITH MACHINE BEHIND-THE-NECK PRESS
SMITH MACHINE FRONT PRESS

EXAMPLE ROUTINES

ROUTINE 1

SMITH MACHINE BEHIND-THE NECK PRESS
LATERAL DUMBBELL RAISES
FRONT DUMBBELL RAISES
DUMBBELL SHRUGS
ROUTINE 2

LATERAL DUMBBELL RAISES
BARBELL UPRIGHT ROWS
REAR DUMBBELL RAISES
ROUTINE 3

LATERAL DUMBBELL RAISES
BARBELL UPRIGHT ROWS
FRONT DUMBBELL RAISES
ROUTINE 4

LATERAL DUMBBELL RAISES
SMITH MACHINE
BEHIND-THE-NECK PRESS
FRONT DUMBBELL RAISES

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
adbutcher said:
My strength use to say that benching, curls, etc was for the beach.....football is played with the legs. That is why til this day I have trouble finding jeans to fit my thighs. Thank God for relax fit jeans, lol.

Also, I don't know how I forgot the medicine ball and jump ropes (both weighted and speed). Good feet, strong legs, coupled with good technique makes for a helluva D-Lineman.
Did your coach drop the medicine ball on your stomach from higher and higher heights?

I still hate the thought of that.