Congrats to Frank Gore

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Frank Gore passes Barry Sanders for No. 3 on NFL's all-time rushing list.

Gore gained 6 yards on a run up the middle in the fourth quarter against the Denver Broncos to become the NFL's third all-time leading rusher. Gore entered Sunday's game against Denver 35 yards shy of Sanders, who ran for 15,529 yards.
Definitely one tough player. He has been grinding it out for years! Congrats to him. Quite the accomplishment.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I dont think he makes it far past 16,000
Love Gore but agree. He got a little luckily this year with Singletary getting injured for the first half (Gore got more carrier the first half then he's able to get now since Singletary is back).

He might play one more year as a 2nd back getting 5 to 7 carries a game. I don't see him doing much past that

On an unrelated note the Frank Gore Hall of Fame debate I find very fascinating. Every running-back in the top 10 in yard was a first ballot hall of famer but Gore is weird because he's 3rd all time in yards but only has 1 year where he was considering a top 5 player (everyone else in the top 10 has at least 3 or 4). He's basically the equivalent of someone getting low double digit sacks every season for over a decade (they would end up with near 150 sacks but would never make the all-pro team and only have a handful of pro bowls, most of which backup/reserve).

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Love Gore but agree. He got a little luckily this year with Singletary getting injured for the first half (Gore got more carrier the first half then he's able to get now since Singletary is back).

He might play one more year as a 2nd back getting 5 to 7 carries a game. I don't see him doing much past that

On an unrelated note the Frank Gore Hall of Fame debate I find very fascinating. Every running-back in the top 10 in yard was a first ballot hall of famer but Gore is weird because he's 3rd all time in yards but only has 1 year where he was considering a top 5 player (everyone else in the top 10 has at least 3 or 4). He's basically the equivalent of someone getting low double digit sacks every season for over a decade (they would end up with near 150 sacks but would never make the all-pro team and only have a handful of pro bowls, most of which backup/reserve).
I think in Gore's case you give him a nod based longevity. I think longevity can be underappreciated sometimes

Tussinman

Reaction score
I think in Gore's case you give him a nod based longevity. I think longevity can be underappreciated sometimes
For sure. Runningback has to be the 1 position where you overrated longevity (this is the position where you give someone 350+ touches a year for 3 or 4 years then dispose of them).

The people who complain about him not being all-pro or top 5 it's not really fair because the alternative is be a Demarco Murrary, Adrian Foster, Chris Johnson type player where you lead the league in touches but the result is your body breaks down after 3 seasons. If anything having only 30-40 less touches per year but playing 3x as long is much more impressive at that specific position

I see alot of people say "he can't get in because he's a stat padder/accumulator" but that's an oxymoron. There's no such thing as a accumulator at the runningback position (it literally doesn't exist, this is the one position that your luckily to be walking upright after a handful of years starting).

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For sure. Runningback has to be the 1 position where you overrated longevity (this is the position where you give someone 350+ touches a year for 3 or 4 years then dispose of them).

The people who complain about him not being all-pro or top 5 it's not really fair because the alternative is be a Demarco Murrary, Adrian Foster, Chris Johnson type player where you lead the league in touches but the result is your body breaks down after 3 seasons. If anything having only 30-40 less touches per year but playing 3x as long is much more impressive at that specific position

I see alot of people say "he can't get in because he's a stat padder/accumulator" but that's an oxymoron. There's no such thing as a accumulator at the runningback position (it literally doesn't exist, this is the one position that your luckily to be walking upright after a handful of years starting).
Ive seen some critiques of Emmitts record saying he broke it due to playing so long. My response to that is that he played long, but he played at a very high level for a very long time. Even his sub prime years in the 2000's were still high quality seasons