Congratulations to the Cowboys Scouting Department

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Had the pleasure of meeting this group and with Jerry the Dumbo GM Jones stuck on the Yacht, they finally got to do their job uninterrupted and it showed in this draft. I rather Kahlid Davis in the 7th, but having a QB to develop late in the draft never is a wrong.

Kwyn

Reaction score
So these are all Jerrah's Boys.

Wonder how this will change in the days to come?
What does this question even mean?

The Cowboys are a football team ... wonder how this will change in the days to come

I’m hungry ... wonder how this will change in the days to come

It was warm this afternoon ... wonder how this will change in the days to come

If you think the scouting department deserves congratulations, feel free to say so

If you think the scouting department really screwed up and you hate the draft, say that

These open ended vague comments are confusing to most of us who don’t live inside your head

I personally think the scouting department did a great job assembling the grades and making recommendations

I think McClay did a great job selecting and building his scouting team and then providing Jerry, Mike and Stephen the information in a way that allowed them to make great picks

I think McCarthy did a great job of working quickly and effectively to partner with McClay and share his vision for personnel on the roster

I think Stephen did a great job managing our cap and positioning the team so that selections at WR and CB were done so in a way that anticipates and provides some degree of future-proofing against upcoming contract expirations and escape options

I think Jerry did a great job empowering McClay, McCarthy and Stephen to do their jobs and I think he then did a great job of reviewing the information and and making the selections

Only a Cowboy hater could find much fault with the draft this year and I don’t think you are one of those.

Maybe you just idly post nonsensical ramblings to amuse yourself and see if anyone responds.

If that’s the case, well done, but do us all a favor.

If you have something to say, just say it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
1. I get the sense that Belt is hoping he'll score inside info for future drafts by pumping air in these guys' tires.

2. It feels like we're starting to go a bit overboard. It looks like we got good value at most of our picks but they haven't even had a minicamp yet. Maybe we should hold off on taking victory laps or organising virtual parades.
Hey Nancy, no one is taking victory laps or organizing virtual parades. We just see the obvious that it was a damn good draft.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You can't give mcclay all the credit when things go well and give the blame elsewhere when things go poorly...we all know the previous staff had significant swings and misses, but mcclay isn't absolved of any responsibility for those selections...

We think they had a great draft yesterday. Lets hope that turns out to be true and let's hope they can continue it moving forward
No, McClay is one of the top 3 GM’s in the league.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
First off going back 5-7 years ago and saying a draft wasn't good because we only got 1 or 2 good guys is useless. Guys move on after 4 years and no GM even hits on 25% of the picks. Anything after the 2nd round - mid 3rd round is a crap shoot.

2019 First round pick bust? Did I miss that one and the 2nd was all Roddle Marrinutty with his BS in everyones ear. Pick would have and should have been Thornhill. Regardless we still got 2 potential starters for 2020 and a very dynamic backup running back. McGovern is looking like he might be starting at center and if Wilson gets a chance I think he could beat out Dix to start at safety.
2018 LVE made the pro bowl and the injury shouldn't diminish that one bit. Gallup was a 1k receiver and Connor Williams is becoming a fixture at LG. Dalton Shultz is our backup TE and even Covington has stayed on the squad for now. 5 guys on the roster 3 of them are important starters.
2017 Again was that senile old man, not Jerry the other one, going against the scouting department and pushing for Taco which he got. Awuzie, Lewis and Woods all excellent picks and starters. All 3 will get paid nice contracts next offseason. Switzer still playing too.
2016 First the thought was about extending Romos career when we picked Elliott. It had zero to do with long term future. I still love the pick, Zeke is a tone setter. 2nd round was a huge gamble and it payed off. Jaylon while not perfect has been in the wrong defense all along. Nolan's style is more attack than Roddles laid back bend but don't break. Jaylon will shine this year and he too made the pro bowl last season. Dak was not pure luck. Dak made his career. No such thing as luck. Lynch didn't put the work in. Dak did and continues to do so. Steelers weren't lucky that Roddle chose Taco, they were fortunate. Collins in the 3rd was a very good instant starter, Anthony Brown was an excellent pick, Frazier was a good pick even the Tapper pick was good he just had health and injury problems.
2015 You're kidding right? Byron Jones top 5 corner in the game today. Gregory looks like he might finally be able to contribute so the verdict is still out on that. Damien Wilson was a great pick in the 4th, he was very good here and just helped KC win the super bowl as a starter. Swaim was a good contributor here and elsewhere too.
2013 Frederick the only shining light? Escobar wasn't that bad and all of our 2nd TEs were always poorly used behind Witten. That was on the coaching and even then Escobar contributed. Williams was a very good number 2 WR for 5 years and made some huge plays. JJ Wilcox still is playing and was a starter for a couple seasons and was a very decent pick. Even knucklehead Randle was a good backup RB for a late round selection.

I think your way off on what to expect from drafts, rounds and pick location. For example most 6th round picks don't even make the team let alone contribute and get a second contract like Anthony Brown. The Anthony Brown pick was an A+ pick and if you don't know that then you don't realize how hard it is to find talent that late. McClay hands down has done the ABSOLUTE BEST out of any other GM/Draft Personnel in the league, especially if you top it off with dealing with Jerry Jones.
@aria is a well known habitual hater so no one expected anything else but for him to crap on the draft.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Hey Nancy, no one is taking victory laps or organizing virtual parades. We just see the obvious that it was a damn good draft.

Hahaha. Thanks for the clarification, Frances. Say 'hi' to Nurse Ratched, will ya?

Plankton

Reaction score
giphy.gif

stuckindc

Reaction score
I think you have to give the credit to Jerry and Stephen. Yes, McClay and the scouts did their jobs and had the team well prepared. I suspect they do that every single year. The difference this year was we finally have a coaching staff that simply said go get the best players and we will find ways to use them. Jerry and Stephen get the credit for hiring those coaches and allowing that draft philosophy to play out with deciding to stick to their board without reaching for unproductive players because some coach likes one trait about him.
true...but the flip side is they let carrot top and his clown posse stay for over a decade...so there is that...geniuses ...do you think Will and his team just learned how to scout this year ? gotta think they could have done similar in years past but were out ruled by Garrett and his brilliant staff. Maybe if we had followed the board that Will built we may have done much better over the years . It took 10 plus years of egg on their face to finally hire a real coaching staff that took the tremendous work Will and his staff did and used it to their advantage rather than some stupid agenda that doesn't work

Kwyn

Reaction score

Wonder how this will change in the days to come?
My bad with the other post just above

I should have just asked

“what do you mean” and let you explain.

mall the other stuff about how I feel about the draft remains true through

pupulehaole

Reaction score
Will McCay has been getting it done for a decade now. He has drafted the best out of any GM since he has been doing it. Our success doesn't add up due to the terrible coaching staff that was here. That is gone now and I expect many 12+ win seasons now.
Other than that Taco pick hes done pretty well....

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Let me ask you this? Who is in charge? If I’m the owner of a company and one of my employees is failing, who’s responsibility is that? Where does the ultimate blame lie? ON JERRY, so stop blaming Rod for every bad draft pick. If Jerry or McClay were that good they wouldn’t have let it happen.

How on earth is is lazy to say that if you draft a player with a well known, high risk injury in the first round and he doesn’t make it through a couple of seasons than that shouldn’t fall on whoever made the pick? Is that a joke? So every year teams pass on players with character issues, injury issues, etc but Jerry loves to scoop them up and make himself appear that much smarter than everyone else. For the value so far, Smith hasn’t been worth it, LVE hasn’t been worth it (I don’t care how good he was his rookie year if he can’t stay on the field) and Gregory sure as hell wasn’t worth it. I have no idea how you can be truthful and say that if LVE retires early that’s not a negative on McClay when he knew about the injury prior to drafting him.

If I said 2020 bust I stand corrected, I think Lamb will be great. Must of meant 2019 or 2018.

Yes, I do think a first round pick should be a solid contributor in his first year or second year at most depending on position. 2018 and 2019 were busts, 2016 was a waste. Henry would have done just fine with Romo behind this O line.

And you’re wrong about one more thing. MY opinion is right and YOURS is wrong! :p
Well most importantly we know the main number one problem always has been and will always be our owner and we also know that he isn’t going anywhere till he’s gone. Having said that the Taco pick was made because of Rods influence, 100%. A well known high risk injury is fine but it wasn’t. He got injured his 2nd season, this wasn’t Myles Jack. Also who’s to say they would’ve drafted Henry and who’s to say he would’ve been there when they picked? It’s easy to say all that now but if Henry was a complete bust and a bum would you be saying the same argument. Again is so easy to say things after the fact but nobody knew Henry was going to be this good and nobody knew he was going to be available in the 2nd.

aria

Reaction score
Well most importantly we know the main number one problem always has been and will always be our owner and we also know that he isn’t going anywhere till he’s gone. Having said that the Taco pick was made because of Rods influence, 100%. A well known high risk injury is fine but it wasn’t. He got injured his 2nd season, this wasn’t Myles Jack. Also who’s to say they would’ve drafted Henry and who’s to say he would’ve been there when they picked? It’s easy to say all that now but if Henry was a complete bust and a bum would you be saying the same argument. Again is so easy to say things after the fact but nobody knew Henry was going to be this good and nobody knew he was going to be available in the 2nd.
Zero argument on your first sentence.

Will you ever like any of my posts? Please? Just one?

Again with Marinelli, Jerry is still in charge, the blame ultimately lies with him so I don’t give any free passes for a poor draft due to one man having “influence”. I’ll say this, LVE’s injury was questionable and concerning to a lot of teams. There were several reports that everything was fine and others expressing concern. Allegedly, several teams passed on him due to concerns and there’s no doubt in my mind he fell to us due to those concerns otherwise he would have been top 10 IMO.

It’s not my job to judge what a player could or couldn’t have done, I’m not the GM. The good GM’s build a team properly based on needs and find value. The Cowboys have succeeded in doing that in some areas but failed miserably in others (ie Zeke is good but horrible value; Dak was great value). Lamb is great value. If they were as good as you say they would have figured out Henry and picked him later instead of wasting a 4th overall pick on a RB.

Like this post.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
My bad with the other post just above

I should have just asked

“what do you mean” and let you explain.

mall the other stuff about how I feel about the draft remains true through
We plenty good.

No prob.

I never know when people are texting when driving or using text to voice..

Or if they are soaking in the bathtub when they are posting.

:lmao:

Half the time..I think they are typing while asking for the chick next to them at the bar for there phone number.

Its crazy as we all know.

Usually they are typing and they go...

Duhhh..my bad. Sound familiar?

:laugh:

Kwyn

Reaction score
We plenty good.

No prob.

I never know when people are texting when driving or using text to voice..

Or if they are soaking in the bathtub when they are posting.

:lmao:

Half the time..I think they are typing while asking for the chick next to them at the bar for there phone number.

Its crazy as we all know.

Usually they are typing and they go...

Duhhh..my bad. Sound familiar?

:laugh:
You didn’t clarify your earlier comment though.

The one that prompted me to ask what you meant when you said

Wonder how this will change in the days to come

Dreski

Reaction score
i feel a lot better after a McCarthy draft than I ever did with a Jason Garrett draft, and I know it wasn’t 100% on Jason for making some picks. But wow, I really like how we did in this draft. Makes me optimistic about how this staff will run this team. Still a lot of time between now and whenever preseason starts, I can’t wait.