Conner Williams or McGovern at LG

quickccc

Reaction score
Future OG battle: Conner Williams or Connor McGovern in 2020 ?

Because Williams is so athletic and he’s an invested 2nd round pick (club chose Connor over 2nd rd pick for Earl Thomas per rumor) and he has flashed promising moments such as fairing well vs Aaron Donald in playoffs, I would think the team wants him to invest in him as the present/future starter at LG.

Gone is the evitable move from OG to RT, with the newly re-signing of Lael Collins.

And with Tyron Smith playing so well and not having concurring back issues, I don’t see any conceivable move of Williams to LT either.

But I really do wonder if Connor continues to have lapses and struggles that results in whiffed pass blocks en route to sacks, hurries and untimely penalties by season’s end , I would wonder if there should be an wide open competition for the LG starting role, between the two Connors, the 2nd rounder vs the 3rd rounder.

as far as this 2019 year, I just don’t see McGovern returning from pectoral recovery, and having adequate time to get into idea football hitting game shape with the NFL well into the season, I think this may likely end up being redshirt year for him. and just we re-launch him all over again.
He’d still have rookie type inexperience in 2020, but who knows how much more conditioned and stronger he would be -per strength program.
And McGovern is supposed to be a more stronger base clocker than Williams.

Last year Williams lacked NFL caliber strength, bulk and anchor base and he was also converting from college tackle to NFL level OG, so it was a position change for him to learn as well.
But now with a year experience under his belt and time spent/invested in bulking up, we should be
seeing a developing top notch OG at some point this season .. if not- it could be McGoverns' time next year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Future OG battle: Conner Williams or Connor McGovern in 2020 ?

Because Williams is so athletic and he’s an invested 2nd round pick (club chose Connor over 2nd rd pick for Earl Thomas per rumor) and he has flashed promising moments such as fairing well vs Aaron Donald in playoffs, I would think the team wants him to invest in him as the present/future starter at LG.

Gone is the evitable move from OG to RT, with the newly re-signing of Lael Collins.

And with Tyron Smith playing so well and not having concurring back issues, I don’t see any conceivable move of Williams to LT either.

But I really do wonder if Connor continues to have lapses and struggles that results in whiffed pass blocks en route to sacks, hurries and untimely penalties by season’s end , I would wonder if there should be an wide open competition for the LG starting role, between the two Connors, the 2nd rounder vs the 3rd rounder.

as far as this 2019 year, I just don’t see McGovern returning from pectoral recovery, and having adequate time to get into idea football hitting game shape with the NFL well into the season, I think this may likely end up being redshirt year for him. and just we re-launch him all over again.
He’d still have rookie type inexperience in 2020, but who knows how much more conditioned and stronger he would be -per strength program.
And McGovern is supposed to be a more stronger base clocker than Williams.

Last year Williams lacked NFL caliber strength, bulk and anchor base and he was also converting from college tackle to NFL level OG, so it was a position change for him to learn as well.
But now with a year experience under his belt and time spent/invested in bulking up, we should be
seeing a developing top notch OG at some point this season .. if not- it could be McGoverns' time next year.
We have not seen McGovern yet.

Connor Williams has been better than the 5th best OLineman most years.

He does get to some 2nd level blocks that some NFL OGs would not reach which means there are trade-offs.

Regardless, next off-season they should cross train Connor Williams at LT just in case unless they're planning to draft a legit developmental LT that could add another option as the backup LT. Cam Fleming at LT for an extended period of time would likely be a disaster. Fleming at RT is manageable and he is OK for a game here and there at LT but more than about 2 games in a row at LT for Fleming would likely be a problem.

Last edited:

PUSHfold

Reaction score
If a 2nd year player who's still quite adequate but learning on the job is our biggest problem on the line then I am great with that.
Williams hasn't been terrible and he hasn't been great but he's a 2nd year player. He will learn from the absolute best in the business and become a better player as he continues to grow.

This is one of the last things on this team I'm worried about to be honest.

cern

Reaction score
William's increased his weight and strength over the off season. He might do so again this off season and return even better. As for McGovern, we'll have to wait until next year. We've been pretty good at picking o-linemen the last few years.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
William's increased his weight and strength over the off season. He might do so again this off season and return even better. As for McGovern, we'll have to wait until next year. We've been pretty good at picking o-linemen the last few years.
Next summer this will be an interesting battle to watch.

Either way it's good to have depth you can rely on.

Having quality depth makes many "fans" angry.

We'll see a lot of angry posting next training camp with regards to those two players if they're competing for the same spot.

Many get really angry about 4th CB Jourdan Lewis and many others want to trade him away every time they have a trade idea.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Williams is still only 22. None of our oline allstars made a pro bowl until they were 23.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
I would go with Williams especially after McGovern injury. Let him fully heal up instead of rushing him, also the season is super early on, injuries happen, and more likely we may even see McGovern play if its for mop up duty or actually filling in for a game or two.

quickccc

Reaction score

oddly enough, the issues Williams is having is not strength- related, hes not getting overpowered,..its' more sloppy technique-lapses and he seems to be
having hand placement issues, and he's not setting his base properly, and he's lunging and over extending, hes' ether late setting up or he's off balance.

one would think that's very coachable, but is Connor responding to coaching ? Or does he just need more time to deveop?
i made mention his conversion from OT to OG, as well as a lack of strength, bulk, but there was also the problematic teaching and new scheme of departed
OL coach Paul Alexander, to which i believe affected every OL in the uit.

Manster68

Reaction score
I personally would like to see is once McGovern is ready to go, place him into the lineup. Williams can be that extra that comes in for short yardage or pulling. Williams is great in that role.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Certainly, the Cowboys will allow a battle between two recent premium picks determine who will be the future left guard of the Cowboys. But people are exaggerating how bad William's is. He may be thw worst of thw 5 Cowboys starters, but he is not close to being the worst left guard in the NFL, and he's getting better. If McGovern can beat him out, then that's even better for the Cowboys, but his lost rookie season doesn't help his development.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
A decent early prediction at a 2020 camp battle.

On another note saying 2020 sounds weird.