Connor Williams as a Center

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I think Connor Williams is a natural fit at Center and am surprised it’s not talked about more.

He’s got two years experience as a starter, scored 34 on his wonderlic so should have a good understanding of the blocking assignments for the o-line and you’d think has the intelligence to pick up the subtleties at Center. I also always thought he looked a bit passive as a guard. He was still massively improved last year, so I can understand some wanting to keep him at guard, but I think his footwork, flexibility, and technique make him a better fit at Center where there are less one one one assignments.

I think professional coaches that see all the players practice every day will make the call.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Cherry picked? Do you know what the actual assignment was?
Maybe Frederick was too late to get there too block, could have been his assignment. Look how the defense was lined up. Williams had to come out and pick up the LB.
That's what it looked like to me.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I’m not even sure Connor Williams is starter quality at any line position. He has been “meh” at best in his first two years. As a second round pick, I would have expected more from this guy. This year is (or whenever we have football again) critical for his future in Dallas because if keeps putting out such mediocre performances his opportunities will shrink considerably.
Very fair points, although he was a college LT, and not everyone is able to change positions effectively.

As far as the eye test, he doesnt look like a tackle, doesnt look powerful or strong enough to play guard, so I guess that leaves center, which is point of this post.

He isnt that either. People just have a tough time admitting that yet another second round pick busted, which is where this is headed, if not there already.

Williams doesnt see the field this year without one or two key injuries on the line.

kskboys

Reaction score
Williams wouldn’t have much trade value at this point. What kind of value would you expect?
Williams slid in the draft due to injury issues. And those have followed him. They usually do. He was our highly drafted injured player of that year. We do it almost every year, though it appears we fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinally didn't this last draft.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Williams doesn't have the nastiness you'd want to see from an interior lineman. He does OK but... we can do better. Biadasz will be our starting center one day and McGovern will be our starting left guard one day. It's only a matter of time.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think Connor Williams is a natural fit at Center and am surprised it’s not talked about more.
That's because it's a dumb idea given we just drafted a center and even before then already had more qualified players to play center. Connor Williams has been playing out of position at guard but his natural position is not center, it's OT. He will be much better being our swing tackle this season than he ever has been at guard.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Williams doesn't have the nastiness you'd want to see from an interior lineman. He does OK but... we can do better. Biadasz will be our starting center one day and McGovern will be our starting left guard one day. It's only a matter of time.

Could very well be. However, do you want 2 rookies starting on the OL. McGovern after being on IR for a year is basically a rookie, then Biadasz also.
I can see Williams starting the season, and McGovern taking over.
Possibly Looney at C, and Biadasz taking over at some point also.

reddyuta

Reaction score
terrible idea,he already has trouble at guard with strong DTs,i say move him to Tackle permanently.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Williams slid in the draft due to injury issues. And those have followed him. They usually do. He was our highly drafted injured player of that year. We do it almost every year, though it appears we fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinally didn't this last draft.
Hopefully, we finally stopped the bad habit of making our second round pick the trip to the roulette wheel. Those gambles should be on Day 3 picks.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's because it's a dumb idea given we just drafted a center and even before then already had more qualified players to play center. Connor Williams has been playing out of position at guard but his natural position is not center, it's OT. He will be much better being our swing tackle this season than he ever has been at guard.
And that's only if he can ever stay on the field. He hasn't been able to for years, going back to his college days, so I don't exactly have a ton of optimism(or any) that he ever will.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not true. Williams does have that nastiness, but he hasn't stayed healthy long enough to develop as a player so you can see it.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Connor Williams' biggest issue is anchoring against stronger players. I think in most situations, he'd be a good C, but in the instances where he'd need to block a NT one-on-one I think he'd get his lunch money stolen. Connor's best asset is his incredible athleticism for a big man. I definitely think at this point his best spot is swing tackle.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Could very well be. However, do you want 2 rookies starting on the OL. McGovern after being on IR for a year is basically a rookie, then Biadasz also.
I can see Williams starting the season, and McGovern taking over.
Possibly Looney at C, and Biadasz taking over at some point also.
If they don't want two inexperienced guys playing next to one another...

They could start Looney at C and McGovern at LG.

Or Biadasz at C and Williams at LG.

But I'm expecting Williams to be a backup next year.

kskboys

Reaction score
Connor Williams' biggest issue is anchoring against stronger players. I think in most situations, he'd be a good C, but in the instances where he'd need to block a NT one-on-one I think he'd get his lunch money stolen. Connor's best asset is his incredible athleticism for a big man. I definitely think at this point his best spot is swing tackle.
Not sure that's it. Williams has very good core strength and often overpowers opponents.

What we're really seeing is a player who is having trouble acclimating to the NFL because he keeps getting injured.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Thought we drafted a center and still have Looney unless I have been sleep, he has not been traded I don't think so.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Cherry picked? Do you know what the actual assignment was?
Maybe Frederick was too late to get there too block, could have been his assignment. Look how the defense was lined up. Williams had to come out and pick up the LB.

If you want to call a huge 4th Quarter 3rd Down play where we didn't convert the 4th Down and majorly contributed to a loss cherry-picked, then okay.

If you look at the video, Frederick clearly expects Williams to double team the DT with him. There's no other reason for his getting to the DT the way he did when he can clearly see where he's lined up at the snap being the Center and all. Otherwise, Frederick races over to square up with the DT. Doesn't take rocket science to figure that out. But let's not criticize the Teflon Con. Oh, heavents no. Lol.

How many games did we miss the playoffs by again?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

He’s got two years experience as a starter, scored 34 on his wonderlic so should have a good understanding of the blocking assignments for the o-line and you’d think has the intelligence to pick up the subtleties at Center. I also always thought he looked a bit passive as a guard. He was still massively improved last year, so I can understand some wanting to keep him at guard, but I think his footwork, flexibility, and technique make him a better fit at Center where there are less one one one assignments.
we just drafted a center to replace Fredrick. McGovern can play center and has. Looney is the back up center.

this is the result of bad draft day maneuvering, Dallas really wanted Dallas Goedert, it looked like he was going to fall to them. it was a position of need as well and looked like it may work out for the cowboys...instead they waited, and could have traded up a couple of spots giving up a 7th or 6th round pick and take GOedert, instead they waited and knowing it was a thin draft, Eagles jumped ahead of dallas one spot and took Goedert…...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you want to call a huge 4th Quarter 3rd Down play where we didn't convert the 4th Down and majorly contributed to a loss cherry-picked, then okay.

If you look at the video, Frederick clearly expects Williams to double team the DT with him. There's no other reason for his getting to the DT the way he did when he can clearly see where he's lined up at the snap being the Center and all. Otherwise, Frederick races over to square up with the DT. Doesn't take rocket science to figure that out. But let's not criticize the Teflon Con. Oh, heavents no. Lol.

How many games did we miss the playoffs by again?

Dude it was one play, don't get your panties in a wad over my response. Just offering a different viewpoint on ONE play.
You see it one way, I see it another. Thing is neither one of us is probably correct, nor do I care.

And who said he was teflon. Over react much.

And there were many other plays that was screwed up in that game. They had a chance to win, and Moore listen to the stupid RB coach way too much, and called running plays that was not working instead of passing plays that were working

Verdict

Reaction score
Just based on conjecture, I am guessing you are right. Biadasz at C and McGovern at G. Williams might be the Swiss Army knife of the entire line as a backup.