Connor Williams needs to start

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Something needs to happen as our Oline has not been great the last couple of games. Our run game (minus a couple chunk runs) has been really abysmal.

Reaction score
Guard in the 1st round? Not a good value pick unless he's a generational guard like Martin, Nelson. 1st round should be reserved for a stud LT to replace Tyron.

tackle, guard and then center. Dallas can't let this OL slip because Dak gets rattled and his performance tanks without time and a clean pocket.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well, that's where the debate is.. I don't think OL play is the primary issue with the run game, but it has been the last few games, especially last night.
actually it has been the last 4 games..OL isnt great at opening holes for run game and are tad suspect in pass protection. Its messing up the offense, this is clear and been so for a while , that why changes were made and in the raider game they were rotating trying to figure it out..its out of sync which makes the offense out of sync as whole. it never the same player seems to be the TE quite often the weak link and or one other payer each play thats getting beat or getting a penalty..

if its one player much easier to fix but seems to be rotating mistakes play in and play out.

Creeper

Reaction score
Connor Williams was bad before they benched him and the holding penalties were just part of it. He cannot stand up to strong DTs. and as I have been saying the problem is compounded by Biadasz playing C because he has the same weakness. The decision to move McGovern to RG was okay. Given how Williams was playing they had to try something. With Tyron out they couldn't move Collins to RG. Maybe they will when Steele comes off the COVID list. But all these changes to the OL are going to be disruptive.

There is no doubt they need to address RG and C next year. Maybe Biadasz improves with another offseason. Maybe not. If there are two spots that need addressing in the offseason it is DT and RG. If Gallimore comes back and plays like the Cowboys say he can play then maybe DT with Hill, Gallimore, Odighizuwa, and Bohanna can develop into an adequate rotation and they don't need to make DT a priority. But they need to do something about the offensive line starting in the middle. At this point it doesn't matter who plays RG. They are all the same. I don't think they have any real options a C other than Biadasz.

Gaede

Reaction score
I dislike the new OL. Steele and Williams should start again. For all their warts, they had chemistry as a unit

johneric8

Reaction score
Needs to start. Rewatched OL. McGovern can't block
I remember you posting about putting in McGovern... You guys are so wishy washy... Conner Williams is a legit talent on the Oline, but because he had holding penalties y'all wanted to send him off to the wolves.. Ridiculous.. Nut rollin at it's finest..

Twin928

Reaction score
Move La’el to guard please. Play Steele at tackle.

That’s the OL with the most upside.

Someone said last night they are tired of these Chubby TE’s playing on the line. Nail on the head.
All ima say is zeke ain’t been zeke since Collins got kicked from g to RT ALL IMA SAY

JustChip

Reaction score
Seems like the o-line has been shaky ever since Williams was benched. Coincidence?? Also, since McGovern took over, they don't use the "jumbo" package to help the run game. Perhaps they need to re-think this. o_O
The line has been shaky since Collins came back. They line was really settled in and playing well before that. Even when Tyron went out against NE. The musical chairs since then has hurt their cohesiveness. Williams’ penalties were a problem, but having 2 young guys, McGovern and Biadasz, next to each other with no Smith on the outside seems a problem on a far greater number of plays than Williams’ 1 or 2.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
All ima say is zeke ain’t been zeke since Collins got kicked from g to RT ALL IMA SAY

Ill go 1 step further..

Zeke looked better when Ron Leary was in the lineup and not Collins.

Ron Leary was an unbelievable run blocker and imo was better than Zack Martin at that stage of Martins career at run blocking.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Both Williams and McGovern aren't the cat's meow. One can't stop the flags from being thrown and the other can't pass block nor run block, at least at this time. Is there any chance for him to improve with more starting experience? I'd really like to know the answer to that. It's just a conundrum. Would the staff please find the answer to that in the next 10 days? Is that even remotely possible? Is it impossible?
Stay tuned for a possible answer! :grin:

Last edited:

reddyuta

Reaction score
Seems like the o-line has been shaky ever since Williams was benched. Coincidence?? Also, since McGovern took over, they don't use the "jumbo" package to help the run game. Perhaps they need to re-think this. o_O
soul crushing penalties vs run blocking. that is tough one.

quickccc

Reaction score
I tend to agree.

seems McGovern can only ply right guard. And yeah thats not happening.

I’ll take Williams’ one holding call per game if he can block well the rest of the game.

- If McGovern can only be comfortable as a RG, and he doesn’t show progress at seasons end, then it may be time to re-enter drafting a top notch OG again.
That would be very disappointing because we’ve heavily invested high draft picks in OGs Williams and McGovern and neither is looking like the answer thus far.

- Another reason why McGovern getting the nod is because we just have to find out if he can be a long term answer, cannot find that out if he does not play out.

- What would we be gaining if Williams is re-inserted again as a starter ?
We still will not have a decent run game,..

- For all his athleticism, Williams still struggles as a pass blocker, which is another reason why he draws yellow flags.
And he’s one of the leading reason why we are the most penalized team in the NFL.

- Frankly i wouldn't want Steele as a long term answer, we need a starter that has ability to a pro bowler and stand out that can hold his own without having to
scheme, chip help or give him double team blocks for him to be at his best. He'll have to counted on to be alone vs the better edge rushers.

conner01

Reaction score
Guard in the 1st round? Not a good value pick unless he's a generational guard like Martin, Nelson. 1st round should be reserved for a stud LT to replace Tyron.
A guard late in the first isn’t a reach
But drafting positions over talent is a recipe for Tacos, not building teams
Just take the best football players
We should pick late this year so there are very few positions I’d take off the board but I’d never take any position over a clearly better player at another position with few possible exceptions

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
I remember you posting about putting in McGovern... You guys are so wishy washy... Conner Williams is a legit talent on the Oline, but because he had holding penalties y'all wanted to send him off to the wolves.. Ridiculous.. Nut rollin at it's finest..
I believe you have me confused with someone else