Consensus: Who are the top 20 players?

nathanlt

Reaction score
I am wondering who people think are the top 20 players right now. Pre-combine guesses are pretty accurate, because it's based solely on player ability and performance. After a no-name pushes 225 up X number of times, draft gurus suddenly think he can play football. Free agent pickups and mock drafts cloud the picture, in my mind. Who do YOU think the top 20 players are?

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I'll give it a shot:

This is not based on where I think they will be picked:

1.Aaron Rodgers--It's close between he and Leinhart....real close
2.Ahmad Brooks--Can you say Ray Lewis? Will be an pro-bowler for ten years
3.Matt Leinhart--Just a winner.
4.Antrel Rolle--Best cb in this draft. Great combination of size, speed.
5.Mike Williams--Tough to say how the lay off will effect him.
6.D'Brickishaw Ferguson--Most upside of any lineman in draft
7.Alex Barron--Most polished tackle in draft
8.Derrick Johnson--Not convinced, he has great tools....just wish he was ten pounds heavier
9.Thomas Davis--I think I would rather see him stay at safety. A beast in the box and can blitz like no other safety in NCAA football.
10.Rodrique Wright--Best DT in draft. Versatile enough to play in the 4-3 or as the NT in a 3-4.
11.Braylon Edwards--My only concern is his ability to go over the middle and concentration. Reminds me alot of Koren Robinson....which might not be a good thing.
12.Cedric Benson--Speed is a slight concern, but I think he becomes a solid back in the NFL. Travis Henry type.
13.Justin Miller--Maybe the best all-around playmaker in draft
14.Justin Tuck--Some might say this is way too high. I say he and Pollack dominate the end like no one else in college football. He has the frame to put on another 10lbs, but his best NFL position might be OLB in the 3-4.
15.Travis Johnson--Great talent...toolhead. Risky and will probably drop as a result.
16.Mathis Kiwanuka--No defensive end in the draft has more upside. His speed is concerning to me though.
17.Ronnie Brown--He is a better pro prospect than Cadillac in my estimation.
18.Kevin Burnett--If it wasn't for health concerns...top 10.
19.Haloti Nagata--Ok...so most mocks have him in the second round. I am banking on 35 reps and a 4.9 at the combine. If so, watch him soar right into a Cowboy uniform.
20.Erasmus James--I am not convinced his hip is going to hold up.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Oh_Canada said:
19.Haloti Nagata--Ok...so most mocks have him in the second round. I am banking on 35 reps and a 4.9 at the combine. If so, watch him soar right into a Cowboy uniform.

That's one guy I'm hoping the Cowboys get, whether it's first round or second!

Woods

Reaction score
nathanlt said:
That's one guy I'm hoping the Cowboys get, whether it's first round or second!

Has he even declared?

ghst187

Reaction score
Oh_Canada said:
I'll give it a shot:

This is not based on where I think they will be picked:

1.Aaron Rodgers--It's close between he and Leinhart....real close
2.Ahmad Brooks--Can you say Ray Lewis? Will be an pro-bowler for ten years
3.Matt Leinhart--Just a winner.
4.Antrel Rolle--Best cb in this draft. Great combination of size, speed.
5.Mike Williams--Tough to say how the lay off will effect him.
6.D'Brickishaw Ferguson--Most upside of any lineman in draft
7.Alex Barron--Most polished tackle in draft
8.Derrick Johnson--Not convinced, he has great tools....just wish he was ten pounds heavier
9.Thomas Davis--I think I would rather see him stay at safety. A beast in the box and can blitz like no other safety in NCAA football.
10.Rodrique Wright--Best DT in draft. Versatile enough to play in the 4-3 or as the NT in a 3-4.
11.Braylon Edwards--My only concern is his ability to go over the middle and concentration. Reminds me alot of Koren Robinson....which might not be a good thing.
12.Cedric Benson--Speed is a slight concern, but I think he becomes a solid back in the NFL. Travis Henry type.
13.Justin Miller--Maybe the best all-around playmaker in draft
14.Justin Tuck--Some might say this is way too high. I say he and Pollack dominate the end like no one else in college football. He has the frame to put on another 10lbs, but his best NFL position might be OLB in the 3-4.
15.Travis Johnson--Great talent...toolhead. Risky and will probably drop as a result.
16.Mathis Kiwanuka--No defensive end in the draft has more upside. His speed is concerning to me though.
17.Ronnie Brown--He is a better pro prospect than Cadillac in my estimation.
18.Kevin Burnett--If it wasn't for health concerns...top 10.
20.Erasmus James--I am not convinced his hip is going to hold up.

David Pollack, relentless and disruptive...Grant Wistrom
Jamaal Brown, absolute bookend in a T-heavy draft
Carlos Rogers, he's good
Marlin Jackson, best CB technique cover CB, can lock down their best WR
Mark Clayton, runs good routes, smallish but absolute terror after the catch

I'd drop out your #'s 17, 19, 20, 14,and 15

Woods

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
Carlos Rogers, he's good

I'm hearing a lot of mixed views on R. Wright from Texas.

But he'll probably end up going top 20 . . . .

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
Carlos Rogers, he's good

Pollack is my favourite player in college footbal, but I don't know if he has the size to hold up unfortunatley. He was on the brink of cracking my top 20.

I am o.k with Clayton and Jackson who were also on the brink...but I would still take Tuck over either of them hands down.

Rogers is an underachiever...good tools though.

Brown is too soft for me....Jacob Rogers II???

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Woods said:
I'm hearing a lot of mixed views on R. Wright from Texas.

But he'll probably end up going top 20 . . . .
I agree on R Wright... Every time I watched UT this year... all the cameras and reviews were for DJ. I never heard Wright mentioned during the Rose Bowl except for the introduction in pre-game, plus I heard he couldn't get off the line against Michigan... I need to see some film on this guy, cause I haven't seen him at all... I didn't watch enough college ball this year I guess. What the heck is his number anyway??

ghst187

Reaction score
Jamaal Brown has way more athleticism and size than Rogers and he put several of the USC (top 2 round draft picks) on their backs in the Orange Bowl.

Wright still hasn't said whether or not he's coming out or staying at UT. I'm actually expecting him to stay at UT. I think he's underachieving right now even though he'd be the best DT in a very weak DT class. I'd be a little concerned about him using our 1a pick on him.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Here's my compiled list so far. It's an average of several draft rankings, including NFL Draft Countdown, ESPN and others. I'd like to get a wider range of opinions/or top100 lists so that as a group we can, as close as possible predict the top 20 players.

1Derrick Johnson OLB 3.25
2Matt Leinart QB 3.3125
3Aaron Rodgers QB 3.8125
4Mike Williams WR 4.3
5Cedric Benson RB 5.25
6Dbrickshaw Ferguson OT 6.92
7Antrel Rolle CB 7.65
8Braylon Edwards WR 8.4
9Ahmad Brooks ILB 10.66
10Thomas Davis S 10.75
11Ronnie Brown RB 11.5
12Alex Barron OT 11.95
13Carnell Williams RB 12
14Erasmus James DE 16.25
15Mathias Kanuwika 16.66
16Jammal Brown OT 17.87
17Marcus Spears DE 19.34
18Heath Miller TE 21
19Justin Miller CB 21.33
20Travis Johnson DT 21.37

I didn't like this mostly because Kiper is too lazy to update his info with Matt Leinart or Aaron Rodgers. And NFLdraftcountdown is the only one mentioning Thomas Davis at all in the rankings.