Consider This

Woods

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
You do know that Lawson played LB his first two years at NC State?

Yes, then they switched him.

But good point. I guess the staff can compare film of Lawson and Carpenter at LB and try to figure out who has better instincts, etc. at the OLB position.

But I still think Carp is less of a projection at SOLB at this stage.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
You do know that Lawson played LB his first two years at NC State?

Nope, none of these guys know anything about him except what they read on another forum or on some draft site, written by a guy who saw him play once. "Mel Kiper said..." is gospel for them.

Having seen Lawson play several times a year for the past few years I can say with confidence, based on actually seeing him play, that he would be an outstanding choice for us at #18. The guy is tall, fast, quick, strong, is a good run stopper (despite what some may think) and is an outstanding pass-rusher. He is an incredible athlete and more than simply a workout warrior like Mike Mamula was. He is much more of a Julius Peppers than a Mike Mamula.

He DID play LB before moving to DE so let's all just drop the "we don't know if he can play the position" junk folks, those of us who have seen him know that he can and has played it and played it well.

I would be very happy with either guy or with Wimbley for that matter.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Nope, none of these guys know anything about him except what they read on another forum or on some draft site, written by a guy who saw him play once. "Mel Kiper said..." is gospel for them.

Having seen Lawson play several times a year for the past few years I can say with confidence, based on actually seeing him play, that he would be an outstanding choice for us at #18. The guy is tall, fast, quick, strong, is a good run stopper (despite what some may think) and is an outstanding pass-rusher. He is an incredible athlete and more than simply a workout warrior like Mike Mamula was. He is much more of a Julius Peppers than a Mike Mamula.

He DID play LB before moving to DE so let's all just drop the "we don't know if he can play the position" junk folks, those of us who have seen him know that he can and has played it and played it well.

I would be very happy with either guy or with Wimbley for that matter.

Thank you, but I have seen him play.

Don't assume anything.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TwoDeep3 said:
Lawson has potential.

So did Kavika Pittman and Shante Carver.

While potential is great. If it doesn't translate to the pros, what have you got?

Another busted defensive end.

This team is close.

This is the money ball from the corner for a three as the clock expires.

Carpenter may not be the sexy POTENTIAL pick. But he fits this scheme. He can play outside, since that is where he played in college.

He can move inside if we need him to do so.

He will excell at both.

But if you are in a pinch, he has the tools to put his hand on the ground and play some DE.

Lawson is thin, but runs and leaps like a deer.

Speed is no guarantee he will make it in the pros.

Maybe we should stop and reflect that where we got our butts handed to us in the important games was against the run.

Or have we forgotten Denver.

I know the lure of a speed rusher across from Ware.

But this team needs to hit on this pick.

And all the athletic ability in the world doesn't convince me this might be a mistake of a Pittman/Carver proportion if we whiff on this guy.

Maybe it is time to play it safe and take a player who has performed at a high level at THE POSITION we are drafting him for.

Carpenter is the pick if we're really smart.

And polls at the three major Cowboy message boards indicate the majority feel the same.
Very good post, except for the faux pas of mentioned Shante Carver's name. I wanted to throw up when Jerry made that pick.

There's a very real part of me that hopes when we pick all 3...Carpenter, Wimbley, and Lawson are available.

This would virtually assure a trade down that adds picks or tell us once and for all who was #1 on the radar screen.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Hostile said:
This would virtually assure a trade down that adds picks or tell us once and for all who was #1 on the radar screen.

So, what happens if we trade down and then there is a run for linebackers and all of the good ones are taken?
Including Howard.

There was a comment by someone on another board that made me laugh. But it has a truth to it.

You can spend three-hundred dollars at Walmart and have a full cart. But you still have a full cart of crap.

Moving down doesn't interest me at all. Especially if the wolves which follow us in the draft all decide to have a run on linebackers.

I feel this way because Parcells hasn't been Ron Wolfe greatness with his second and thirds other than Witten.

Maybe being cute ain't the tact this time.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Good thread.

Discussion like this is much more interesting and productive, than ... say, Dallas trading up to No. 4. :laugh2:

I haven't seen Carpenter, Lawson or Wimbley play, so I don't have a strong opinion about any of them.

The possibility of going back to the 4-3 defense next year once Parcells is gone, needs to be considered. I don't know where Lawson could play in a 4-3, but it seems like Carpenter could easily handle being an outside guy in a 4-3.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chief said:
The possibility of going back to the 4-3 defense next year once Parcells is gone, needs to be considered. I don't know where Lawson could play in a 4-3, but it seems like Carpenter could easily handle being an outside guy in a 4-3.
That's the best argument I've seen for picking Carpenter. I would hope they would simply not go back to the 4-3.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chief said:
Good thread.

Discussion like this is much more interesting and productive, than ... say, Dallas trading up to No. 4. :laugh2:

I haven't seen Carpenter, Lawson or Wimbley play, so I don't have a strong opinion about any of them.

That is one of the reasons why I think Carpenter is the best selection.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TwoDeep3 said:
So, what happens if we trade down and then there is a run for linebackers and all of the good ones are taken?
Including Howard.

There was a comment by someone on another board that made me laugh. But it has a truth to it.

You can spend three-hundred dollars at Walmart and have a full cart. But you still have a full cart of crap.

Moving down doesn't interest me at all. Especially if the wolves which follow us in the draft all decide to have a run on linebackers.

I feel this way because Parcells hasn't been Ron Wolfe greatness with his second and thirds other than Witten.

Understand something TD, if Carpenter is there at 18 I hope we don't putz around at all. Just take him if he's the pick and smile.

In all honesty I think he is one of 3 final pieces of the puzzle for the defense. The other 2 being FS of course, and NT, because I have zero faith in Fergy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Carpenter may not be the sexy POTENTIAL pick. But he fits this scheme. He can play outside, since that is where he played in college.

You gotta ask yourself as a GM if Carpenter can still grow as a prospect or if he has reached his full potential.

I heard a lot about people being scared Manny is just a workout warrior but he was defensive MVP on his team that currently holds a DE who will be a top 5 pick.

Both guys are very solid players and I love the way both of them play.

I personally think it's a coin flip and either one of them at 18 is fine by me.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would say the best thing about Carpenter is he is truly a LB not a DE, he would come to us with the full understanding of the position of LB. I'm not opposed to Lawson but if he is drafted then it should be expected that it will take him some time just as it did Ware to have the full understanding of the position and all the responsibilities that come with the position.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Smith22 said:
I'm with you TD3, Carpenter seems the best fit if we go OLB. If Justice somehow falls to 18 though, I can't see passing him up.

I agree!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TwoDeep3 said:
Including Howard.

Somethign else dawned on me TD and I thought I'd respond again and share.

If all 3 (BC, KW, & ML) are there at 18 I really wouldn't mind trading at all. Most of the experts are predicting a run on DBs around 20. Unless that run has already begun and that's why the OLBs have dropped it means the odds are in our favor.