CONSPIRACY THEORY: Did the NFL fix the 2006 Draft?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
This is just for fun, but it is interesting...

Reggie Bush, long stated by the Texans as their choice in the NFL draft, ended up in beleagured New Orleans while the Texans took a surprise pick in the final hours in Mario Williams.

Now... we all heard talk of contract disputes in regards to the situation with Bush, but what if the NFL had an inside man "to take care of business?"

The Saints have long been one of the 2 or 3 red-headed step-children of the NFL, and that was LONG before Hurricane Katrina ever devastated the city.

Let's look at some interesting things involving the situation.

After Katrina, Saints owner Tom Benson expressed interest in moving his team to San Antonio or LA. The NFL would likely not want either move for a couple of reasons. Dallas is a marquis team in the NFL and putting a team in a city that is solid Cowboys country might start the franchise off in dire straits from the get-go. Although city leaders want a team there, fans that attended the games in SA said they were there for the game mainly because Dallas had the late game and it was a chance to see some NFL teams.

The NFL desperately wants a team in the LA market, but probably find it highly unlikely that a team with an absolutely horrid history would draw much interest from the "California Crowd" in 2007. Even when the Rams were good (and still in LA) they had trouble selling out the LA Coliseum. Can you imagine them supporting these Saints?

The NFL could also not risk taking a publicity hit on how they left NO high and dry by allowing the Saints to move in a time of city turmoil.

Reggie Bush was targeted in Houston from day one, yet they suprisingly changed their mind in the final hours before the draft. The poor Houston fans are used to bad pro football, but they have always had a solid base in fans from the days when the Oilers were there. Reliant is pretty much always sold out even through 2-14 seasons. Picking Bush would have little effect on their attendance.

In order to keep Benson quiet (and in New Orleans for now) the NFL needed something to get team revenues up... and in a hurry. Enter Reggie Bush. Since drafting Bush, the Saints have had record season ticket options, a whopping 55,000. Bush will be the most watched rookie in this year's season.

Charlie Casserly made the pick and resigned quickly after the draft, only to speculation that he has been offered a job in the NFL front office. Coincidence, pay-off or witness protection?

If Payton can build the Saints into a good team, then when their stadium lease is up in a few years, the NFL can move a good team in NO with a marquis player into LA and reap some benefit. Brees will have Southern California following and it would be homecoming for Bush.

In the owner meetings, the NFL was taken aback into how much it will cost just to get a stadium going in LA. The LA Coliseum needs a reported 800 million in renovations to support a team and an alternate site next to the Angels would cost 650 million, so it will take a few years to get a team going there. Right now they think that it may take two teams to support the cost. If NO moves in a few years, the other team with bad stadium situations are Buffalo, Jacksonville, San Diego and Minnesota.

All speculation and the rantings of a fan that is slipping into a coma during the off-season... :D

Ceasaleo88

Reaction score
It's funny but I said the same thing, when this first happened. Reminds me of the "infamous" 1985 NBA Lottery that got the Knicks the #1 pick and ultimately Patrick Ewing.

trickblue

Reaction score
Ceasaleo88 said:
It's funny but I said the same thing, when this first happened. Reminds me of the "infamous" 1985 NBA Lottery that got the Knicks the #1 pick and ultimately Patrick Ewing.

Now THAT was a fix... ;)

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Ceasaleo88 said:

Just what I was thinking. Frozen envelopes.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Well, TB, I guess its been sometime since you had to Recap good interview anything from Radio. So I am guessing this gives you a chance to hone your typing skills :grin:

Or maybe you are just plain bored :D

DA FAN

Reaction score
Interesting points.

Makes you think twice about what transpired.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I have thought about it, Mario wouldn't put people in the seats.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
See what happens when movies like the da vinci code comes out? Geeze whats next? People in Baseball use steroids?? you people crack me up ;)

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
can it be that the Texans felt that they needed more help on the D than they did at RB, already having a consecutive 1,000 yard rusher, double-digit TD runner and all? can it be that far-fetched? sorry for going abersonc on you guys ;)

trickblue

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
can it be that the Texans felt that they needed more help on the D than they did at RB, already having a consecutive 1,000 yard rusher, double-digit TD runner and all? can it be that far-fetched? sorry for going abersonc on you guys ;)
Well I already stated they shouldn't have picked either Bush or Williams IMO...

They should have swapped with the Jets and picked up Ferguson and had at minimum the Jets late first pick...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
trickblue said:
They should have swapped with the Jets and picked up Ferguson and had at minimum the Jets late first pick...

that's what I would have done too, but they'd be getting more dividends from Mario Williams IMO

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
you probably were you old fart, old fart being most reverential as possible ;)
That was at least 6 yrs before I was born :D

I'm a bad man!!!!!!!!!!:laugh1:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well...I guess I would have an easier time believing this conspiracy theory...compared to the Stephen King trying to kill a sitting president theory.

But just because I have not used it in a long time...

X-Conspiracy.jpg

coogrfan

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:

You nailed it. If you want to understand the Texans thought process, consider the following:

For the 2005 regular season Houston's offense averaged 16.3 points per game, while the defense allowed an avg. of 26.9 pts/game (dead last in the league). The Chicago Bears off. also averaged 16.3 pts/game last season, while their defense allowed a league-best 12.6 pts/game.

The result? The Texans finished with a 2-14 record and the first pick in the draft, the Bears went 11-5 and won their division.

Call me crazy, but it doesn't take a conspiracy thoery to explain the decision to pass on Reggie Bush. Imo building the defense looks like a pretty good idea.

lspain1

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
And I was the third gunman on the grassy knoll :D

I knew it!!!:eek:

Anybody with a post count that high HAS to be up to no good!

:p:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lspain1 said:
I knew it!!!:eek:

Anybody with a post count that high HAS to be up to no good!

:p:

I guess that means Hostile started WWI and WWII :laugh1: