Contract Details of LB Rocky Boiman's Signing

sago1

Reaction score
Just took the below item off KFFL:

Nick Eatman, of DallasCowboys.com, reports the three-year contract signed by LB Rocky Boiman with the Dallas Cowboys can be worth a much as $5 million, including incentives. The deal included a $1 million signing bonus.

Isn't that pretty good money for a backup LB? A newspaper article cited in the below thread reporting his signing with us said several other teams interested in him considered him a potential starter. Hm.. He might be worth keeping an eye on.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He won't get five unless he meets the incentives which he will probably need to start to meet. Its cheap if he's a backup and still cheap for a starter if he somehow does.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Looks like another case of Parcells throwing around Jerry's money for no good reason. I'd be shocked if he does anything more than play special teams.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
They'll pay that kind of money (which really isn't very much) for a good special teams player and backup LB.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
sago1 said:
Just took the below item off KFFL:

Nick Eatman, of DallasCowboys.com, reports the three-year contract signed by LB Rocky Boiman with the Dallas Cowboys can be worth a much as $5 million, including incentives. The deal included a $1 million signing bonus.

Isn't that pretty good money for a backup LB? A newspaper article cited in the below thread reporting his signing with us said several other teams interested in him considered him a potential starter. Hm.. He might be worth keeping an eye on.

Well if we're throwing $1 mill gauranteed to a backup LB we sure as heck better keep Larry Allen on this roster at his current salary.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
I wonder how many LB's were going to keep and will be the odd man out.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
the NFL minimum for a guy with his experience is 585k a year which goes up to 710k in a player's 7th year. So that's over 2 mill right there. A mill bonus on top of that is not much over the minimum. Whatever the incentives are, if he's playing that well, he's earned them.

Cheap

Eskimo

Reaction score
Well, one would guess these are the locks at LB now:

Ware
B James
Adoyele
Burnett
Rocky B

The probables:

Singleton

Those fighting for a spot on the roster:

Thornton
Shanle
Fowler

I think we can expect there to be at least one first-day draft pick added to this mix.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Why is it ok to pay this for basically a ST player but just a little more could get a damn good kicker. Haven't seen a ST player lose/win a game for his team but we all have seen what a kicker can do.

Not saying that the Cowboys aren't looking, just want us to start buying (kicker).

AbeBeta

Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
Why is it ok to pay this for basically a ST player but just a little more could get a damn good kicker. Haven't seen a ST player lose/win a game for his team but we all have seen what a kicker can do.

Not saying that the Cowboys aren't looking, just want us to start buying (kicker).

do you pay 3 times a much as necessary for your groceries? would you call someone who did that stupid?

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
depth is always good, i dont know jack about this guy tho...

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
This is a good signing at a good price. He gives us depth and has some experience; we're not looking for him to be a star just a role player.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
abersonc said:
do you pay 3 times a much as necessary for your groceries? would you call someone who did that stupid?
It would depend on how "hungry" you are. So by your math, a kicker should be about $560,000.00 a year. How much did Cundiff or Cortez make last year?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
It would depend on how "hungry" you are. So by your math, a kicker should be about $560,000.00 a year. How much did Cundiff or Cortez make last year?

sometimes when you are hungry you need to wait until dinner time - we need to see what's up in Seattle before we spend on Vanderjerk.

I firmly believe that Vini is just looking for offers to take back to the Pats so he can give them a chance to match. He doesn't want to leave. And if we give Vini a huge offer that the Pats want to come close to then it drives up the price on every kicker.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
abersonc said:
sometimes when you are hungry you need to wait until dinner time - we need to see what's up in Seattle before we spend on Vanderjerk.

I firmly believe that Vini is just looking for offers to take back to the Pats so he can give them a chance to match. He doesn't want to leave. And if we give Vini a huge offer that the Pats want to come close to then it drives up the price on every kicker.
I agree on the Seattle thing. I want Josh Brown more then any other kicker avl.. What happens with Hutchison/Seattle/Minny shouldn't delay our offering a contract to Josh Brown if he is indeed the kicker that Dallas wants.

I mean why wait to make the offer? What is the end result of waiting? Seattle doesn't match Minny so therefore we don't offer JBrown a contract because we know they would match? Or say Seattle does match Minnys offer, then is our plan to lowball JBrown knowing Seattle can't match?

Again, why wait?:confused:

Then again, maybe JBrown isn't the guy Dallas wants.

(Why do I have this feeling that Vanderjagt is going to be our next kicker?)

EDIT: Just saw the Peterson to Seattle thread. Maybe it's getting tougher for Seattle to possibly match an offer to JBrown.:D