Contract Details of LB Rocky Boiman's Signing

AbeBeta

Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
I agree on the Seattle thing. I want Josh Brown more then any other kicker avl.. What happens with Hutchison/Seattle/Minny shouldn't delay our offering a contract to Josh Brown if he is indeed the kicker that Dallas wants.

I mean why wait to make the offer? What is the end result of waiting? Seattle doesn't match Minny so therefore we don't offer JBrown a contract because we know they would match? Or say Seattle does match Minnys offer, then is our plan to lowball JBrown knowing Seattle can't match?

Again, why wait?:confused:

Then again, maybe JBrown isn't the guy Dallas wants.

(Why do I have this feeling that Vanderjagt is going to be our next kicker?)

you have to wait to know the Seattle cap situation so when you make the offer it reflects a situation that would hurt Seattle more than you. it isn't about lowballing -- it is about how you have to structure the deal.

of course, it doesn't look like they are matching Hutchinson so i think the Brown issue might be dead. they just signed Peterson for way too much money so they are trying to throw some scratch around to shut the fans up. they'd match Brown so we might need to move on.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
abersonc said:
you have to wait to know the Seattle cap situation so when you make the offer it reflects a situation that would hurt Seattle more than you. it isn't about lowballing -- it is about how you have to structure the deal.

of course, it doesn't look like they are matching Hutchinson so i think the Brown issue might be dead. they just signed Peterson for way too much money so they are trying to throw some scratch around to shut the fans up. they'd match Brown so we might need to move on.
You just made my point.

Waited to see the outcome of Hutchison, doesn't look like they will match, so moot point.

Why not have offered a contract to JBrown (if thats who Dallas wanted) with the intention of Seattle matching Minnys offer and if they didn't...move on then.

Maybe they wanted to tell Vandy, Vin, or whomever..."You were the guy we wanted all along".

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Have you noticed how poor our coverage teams have been since Bill arrived? This signing helps the Kickoff and Punt coverage units primarally.

Which cost several teams games every season.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
sago1 said:
Just took the below item off KFFL:

Nick Eatman, of DallasCowboys.com, reports the three-year contract signed by LB Rocky Boiman with the Dallas Cowboys can be worth a much as $5 million, including incentives. The deal included a $1 million signing bonus.

Isn't that pretty good money for a backup LB? A newspaper article cited in the below thread reporting his signing with us said several other teams interested in him considered him a potential starter. Hm.. He might be worth keeping an eye on.

Not really. Not nowadays. The cap is over 100 million. Think of it this way, if they were planning on him being a starter, wouldn't he be severely underpaid?

Rocky Boiman will likely play some OLB this year, but his job, IMO, will be as a part time player, and as a special teams "Ace".

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Guys, don't forget, he only makes that money IF he reaches those incentives. If he does reach them it'll likely be because he was starting. If he is starting then that's a VERY GOOD DEAL for the cowboys. If he doesn't start, then he likely won't make this incentives and he won't make that much money.

Good signing anyway you put it.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Rack said:
Guys, don't forget, he only makes that money IF he reaches those incentives. If he does reach them it'll likely be because he was starting. If he is starting then that's a VERY GOOD DEAL for the cowboys. If he doesn't start, then he likely won't make this incentives and he won't make that much money.

Good signing anyway you put it.

again I agree...

hard to find fault with the signing, in fact it may wind up to be a very good signing...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
Looks like another case of Parcells throwing around Jerry's money for no good reason. I'd be shocked if he does anything more than play special teams.

do you ever have anything positive to say? :bang2:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
C Hill is reporting 3.25 million over 3 years including the 1 mill SB.

That's pretty much minimum money (maybe .25 mill over) plus the 1 mill SB. That is a cheap cheap deal. Keep in mind that with a cap over 100 mill that the average salary is going to be about 2 million a year.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy said:
Have you noticed how poor our coverage teams have been since Bill arrived? This signing helps the Kickoff and Punt coverage units primarally.

Which cost several teams games every season.
I have noticed. Our Special Teams have been anything BUT Special since BP arrived but I blame him only to the extent that he hired and has not replaced Bruce DeHaven (and we all know how I liuke blaming anything bad on BP). This player should help on ST if DeHaven gets his head back out in the sun and uses hium right.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
Well, one would guess these are the locks at LB now:

Ware
B James
Adoyele
Burnett
Rocky B

The probables:

Singleton

Those fighting for a spot on the roster:

Thornton
Shanle
Fowler

I think we can expect there to be at least one first-day draft pick added to this mix.

Fowler was coming on strong last year......could you move him to probables?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
I have noticed. Our Special Teams have been anything BUT Special since BP arrived but I blame him only to the extent that he hired and has not replaced Bruce DeHaven (and we all know how I liuke blaming anything bad on BP). This player should help on ST if DeHaven gets his head back out in the sun and uses hium right.

really that just gets to the depth issues. ST guys like Fowler and Davis are playing in the base defensive packages and not doing as much on ST. Get better depth and you have better ST.

conner01

Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
Why is it ok to pay this for basically a ST player but just a little more could get a damn good kicker. Haven't seen a ST player lose/win a game for his team but we all have seen what a kicker can do.

Not saying that the Cowboys aren't looking, just want us to start buying (kicker).
actually special teams are very important and you need to look around the league at how many guys make 2 or 3 mil a year to be backups. but i think even after this contract we can still afford a kicker and will get one as soon as we see what the hawks and fins are gonna do with there kickers.

conner01

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
guess you did'nt notice we was 10th in the nfl in punt return coverage, and 11th in k.o. return coverage.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
If we draft a stud FS, Killer Keith should return to full time ST duties which will be a huge plus for Dallas.

Eskimo

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Fowler was coming on strong last year......could you move him to probables?

Fowler did show something towards the end of the year but I only put him as fighting for a spot because I don't know who else will be brought in before all is said and done.

Usually a true 3-4 team carries lots of LBs, between 8-10 so I am pretty sure he will make the team.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Parcells will rotate the LB's, add in 20 ST snaps a game and you're looking at 30-40 snaps a game. The Cowboys didn't pay an outlandish amount for such a player.

Eskimo

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
do you ever have anything positive to say? :bang2:

My complaint with the signing is that I like to keep spots available for STs for young, developmental type players. We have dipped into FA too often because we have failed to effectively develop from within and the more journeyman you keep on the roster, the less developmental spots you have - it is just a personal philosophy.

Now if BP thinks this guy is a good backup who can develop further in this scheme then it was a good signing. I guess we'll see how he does when the season starts.

BTW, I did like the Ayodele and Fabini signings, slightly against the TO signing. I'm hoping for a release of LA. I do think it is a mistake to go into the regular season without an upgrade at FS and I would rather not have to reach in the draft at this position. We need to keep our early picks for OL, WR and LB.